Duplicated 4K display sometimes goes to black for 2 seconds

ramm

Hello,

Since today I got a 4K tv so i'm now able to clone the tv with my 4K monitor from my PC. At first I always used to extend my desktop because of the different resolution but cloning is more convenient in my situation since i'm able to use my main monitor from both my desk and sofa in the livingroom.

However as stated in the title every 10 seconds or so, the screen will go black for 1 or 2 seconds. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm thinking it might be the HDMI cable that is too long for 4K @ 60hz, since it's 15 meters (almost 50 feet).

My PC probably isn't the problem (6700k with 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram and an MSI RTX 2080).

This is the current monitor set up (secondary monitor is 1080p in portrait)image.png.3d2f95961e75b3284a319077d0432421.png

So do you think the logical explaination is the cable being too long? I think it was pretty expensive when I bought it and put it on the inside of my walls all around the living room and I am positive it would be able to handle 4k 60hz since I always future proof my stuff when buying it and 4k is something I had planned.

Thanks for the help

The thing is when I do it like this

image.png.42777ac6c9dcf9d667d5121fc3312da8.png

The going to black seems to go away, at least I see it almost never. However I would rather clone it instead of extending it for convenience reasons.

Do you have G-Sync / Freesync enabled on one of the monitors?

If a program / game / whatever is using it and you have it globally disabled or something, it will go black sometimes.

It happens when you move mouse from one screen to another, ALT+TAB, minimize etc..

Is this the case?

3 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

Do you have G-Sync / Freesync enabled on one of the monitors?

If a program / game / whatever is using it and you have it globally disabled or something, it will go black sometimes.

It happens when you move mouse from one screen to another, ALT+TAB, minimize etc..

Is this the case?

Not that I know off. I never touch that stuff really. I'll have a look in the nvidia config. Or should I look for it in games? It also happens without games

//Edit

I Turned off Vertical Sychronization in the NVIDIA control panel and turned back on cloning instead of expanding. Do you think it should help? I'll try it out now

If you see G-Sync / Freesync option, disable it globally in Nvidia's control panel. You can also disable it on monitors themselves in menu probably.

I hope this will help :))

3 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

If you see G-Sync / Freesync option, disable it globally in Nvidia's control panel. You can also disable it on monitors themselves in menu probably.

Thanks, done it, so far so good. Hopefully it will stay like this. I'll see in the next few days I guess.

1 hour ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

It seemed to be going well for like an hour or so. Then it suddenly flashed black again twice.

So it appears to still be flickering to black every once in a while. I'm testing it right now after letting my PC rest for the night.

What would the other logical explaination be? I have obviously spend good money on a 15m/50ft HDMI cable that (SHOULD) support 4K@60hz and it has also cost me lots of effort to put it in the walls all around my livingroom, but i'm really started to wonder if I got ripped off and it's simply not possible to run 4k @ 60hz over that distance without any form of amplification.

I think 10m/32ft HDMI cables that should support 4k@60hz are there and with some smart moving of my devices it should be long enough for my purposes, but I wanna make sure I don't buy something that is useless because the problem of the going to black seems to be laying somewhere else.

What would you guys recommand in this situation?