Raid 1 and rebuild

Pretty new to the use of Raid and have a question about verifying and rebuilding.  I have two 4TB WD drives in Raid 1 on and Asus Maximus XI Extreme.  All was well with this setup for a couple of weeks, then the other day, out of nowhere, the Intel icon said it was verifying and there was disk activity for over 3 hours before it finished.  Is this normal and something that happens often?  I check the drives with WD diagnostics and there were no issues with either drive.  Also, today I had them disconnected while I rearranged their mounting and I forgot to plug one in when I restarted the system into BIOS.  I shut down once I noticed one was missing, plugged it back in and then restarted.  This time I have disk activity and the Intel RST is saying it is rebuilding the array.  So just from on boot into bios with one raid drive unplugged it decided it needed to rebuild when I plugged the second one in?

Thanks for any and all info and advice.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

So you have raid with the motherboard? 

I wouldn't do that, use software raid with storage spaces in windows, its much better, motherboard raid is known to be bad.

probably an auto rebuild, the first busy time probably a patrol read.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you have raid with the motherboard? 

I wouldn't do that, use software raid with storage spaces in windows, its much better, motherboard raid is known to be bad.

probably an auto rebuild, the first busy time probably a patrol read.

So I should back up the raid and switch?  Doesn't software raid add overhead?

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

3 hours ago, tincanalley said:

So I should back up the raid and switch?  Doesn't software raid add overhead?

Well your using the cpu for raid now, there isn't hardware raid on that board, its just using the bad intel/motherboard raid, don't use that.

Id personally switch to storage spaces as its much better than the motherboard raid.

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well your using the cpu for raid now, there isn't hardware raid on that board, its just using the bad intel/motherboard raid, don't use that.

Id personally switch to storage spaces as its much better than the motherboard raid.

Cool, I'll give it a shot.  Didn't think about the board using the CPU as well.  Good to know.