Resolve Audio dilemma

I had odd issue with Resolve. It cannot play audio for a file. Not even after said file has been converted to another format with VLC and Audacity. Everything esle plays the audio as it should, but Resolve doesn't even give me bars. It recognizes waveform, but thats about it.

Background: This is FB video file. All rights belong to me, my better camera was rolling right next to my phone which was used to stream to FB. For miscommunication between me (got my hands full so had to delegate) and assisting persons, about 10-15mins of full length of the video are only on FB stream. Hence why I want to use that in actual video. Not perfect thing in first place, but I refuse to release partial video when I can as well fix it. Sort of.

So its downloaded FB video which already works as mute video. Re-encoding it with Handbrake resulted nada. Same with this audio conversion mess (tried both mp3 and wav already). I'm going to other video editors next with hopes of better results.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What Resolve version? I had that kind of problems on 12, but 14 has worked fine for me.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

What Resolve version? I had that kind of problems on 12, but 14 has worked fine for me.

15 at first, but 16 is same. All solutions I've found are for 14.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check what codec is used for audio. Many prayers have codecs built in, but not programs like Premiere (or, as I suppose, Resolve). They use system codecs so you need proper one (probably ac3) to be installed in system. You can find few tools to check what codecs (audio and video) was used.

Also - disable option in your audio card that says it's allowed to take exclusive control over device. It's possible that other program uses audio device and block Resolve.

9 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Check what codec is used for audio. Many prayers have codecs built in, but not programs like Premiere (or, as I suppose, Resolve). They use system codecs so you need proper one (probably ac3) to be installed in system. You can find few tools to check what codecs (audio and video) was used.

Also - disable option in your audio card that says it's allowed to take exclusive control over device. It's possible that other program uses audio device and block Resolve.

Will try. I did this one with ShotCut, but I do like to see if this can be solved for the future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

One more - complex programs that operates on audio like DAWs uses lot of settings in audio section - input, output, even for every track (so you can use separate sound cards for every track if you want). I suspect that somewhere in Resolve there are settings - global and local. And now they're probably set to none or hdmi or whatever. If you see waveform, sound is correctly processed, but output device is wrong. You may check this by create small output video from your timeline and play this video in any video player - you'll probably hear sound.

In Resolve there is not so complex sound settings, but still you can check if any of channels (or master channel) isn't muted and if main audio is proper select (or select it manually).

resolve.thumb.gif.a38d7f59dd32d41ce19a7ffc1c08bbeb.gif

25 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

One more - complex programs that operates on audio like DAWs uses lot of settings in audio section - input, output, even for every track (so you can use separate sound cards for every track if you want). I suspect that somewhere in Resolve there are settings - global and local. And now they're probably set to none or hdmi or whatever. If you see waveform, sound is correctly processed, but output device is wrong. You may check this by create small output video from your timeline and play this video in any video player - you'll probably hear sound.

In Resolve there is not so complex sound settings, but still you can check if any of channels (or master channel) isn't muted and if main audio is proper select (or select it manually).

resolve.thumb.gif.a38d7f59dd32d41ce19a7ffc1c08bbeb.gif

I doubt it's audio device issue that simply. The clip didn't have sound while other clips imported directly from better camera did.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I doubt it's audio device issue that simply. The clip didn't have sound while other clips imported directly from better camera did.

Well, then codec it is. My bet is on ac3 codec, easy to download. All players have built in this codec, but for system you need to install it.

https://ac3filter.net/