Can't figure out how to block a program via firewall to prevent it from going online

I'm trying to keep an application (game) from going online and launching steam. I looked up the process to do this but I'm either missing a step or just not getting it at all. My PC uses 64bit Win10. Thanks in advance!

if that game is on steam (meaning it atleast uses steam DRM), you will not be able to play that game even if you do that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

if that game is on steam (meaning it atleast uses steam DRM), you will not be able to play that game even if you do that.

I read that if you create a new rule in your firewall for that program to prevent it from performing any online communication it would work, even on steam games. I dl'd this particular game separate from steam and it's a few versions behind it's current build that's on steam. I'm stumped lol.

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Use outgoing rules. Or use nice firewall like Comodo Firewall.

Windows firewall won't be able to do the trick too? Could you be a little more specific about how I should set up that outgoing rule?

we'd hope that this isn't a nefariously obtained gaming title and you are trying to skirt DRM reporting.

if so, that is not what our forums are to be used for as we cannot lend support for non-purchased titles or how to work-around title features.

14 minutes ago, airdeano said:

we'd hope that this isn't a nefariously obtained gaming title and you are trying to skirt DRM reporting.

if so, that is not what our forums are to be used for as we cannot lend support for non-purchased titles or how to work-around title features.

If it were nefariously obtained, I wouldn't be posting about it here nor would I post without anonymity. Just saying.

I was using the game as a current example of what I'm trying to accomplish. This is something I would like to know anyway for a better understanding of firewall rules and how to operate them properly in regards to having control over my applications and programs. 

1 hour ago, ThatTattoodDude said:

If it were nefariously obtained, I wouldn't be posting about it here nor would I post without anonymity. Just saying.

I was using the game as a current example of what I'm trying to accomplish. This is something I would like to know anyway for a better understanding of firewall rules and how to operate them properly in regards to having control over my applications and programs. 

In Windows Firewall in advanced options you have incoming rules and outgoing rules. First ones are for packets that come in, second - packets that come out. Windows firewall by default blocks only incoming connections, but you can manually block outgoing connection for specific program. Every program or game first try to send request, then receive data, so blocking outgoing connections is all you need to stop communication program with internet.

Comodo Firewall asks for both - incoming and outgoing connections (if proper configured) so it's easier to control programs (in case more than one exe file wants to connect). I don't understand why you don't want to try different solution than built in Windows - Microsoft is not the only software company in the world and you can install as many programs as you want. Instead asking another questions - try it.

If you want to use only Windows Firewall - use Win+R, type "control" (it runs old control panel), search for "firewall", enter "Windows Defender Firewall", click "Advanced Settings", select "Outbound Rules", click "New Rule", choose "Program" (and Next), browse for exe file you want to block (and Next), check everything in "When does this rule apply?" section (and Next), enter any name for rule ("my first rule" for example) and click Finish. And you still can't be sure that you blocked what you wanted.

In Comodo Firewall (if you install it), enter advanced options, select "Custom Ruleset", set alert frequency to "High", disable other functions than Firewall (like Hips, Website Filtering, File Rating etc.) if you want only Firewall and don't want to slow down your file operations. Rest will be automatic (program will alert you when ANY software wants to connect internet). You can choose "Treat as" -> "Blocked Application" when alert is display. As a bonus - you'll get very good sandbox (for example - you can run browser in comodo container or special sandboxed desktop and test everything without risk that your computer will be infected).

Of course it's not full manual how to setup everything - you'll figure it out by yourself.