aio 120mm

2 hours ago, ralphandmike said:

well there is a difference in my rigs. I have about 4 midtowers which are of the matx design and one the rosewill case which is a full atx variant so that's part of the issue. getting good cooling out of the units is hard for the midtowers as far as air cooling is concerned

I am doing everything I can to cool these computers off and keep them that way. it was very hot today I'm surprised that my cpu didn't hit 60c. I have an air unit but it was still that hot. I am currently using a ryzen 2700x matx board and all. I am using used cases to house these computers. besides there is another reason longevity and reliability I need to have cpus and such which will last for a while at least. a computer is an investment but it depends on who you ask whether its a good one or not. that is why I am so concerned about cooling options

What cpu, ram, and case are you using for the other systems? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Have you tested for load temps? As long as your temps are fine, there's no need to worry. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu, ram, and case are you using for the other systems? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Have you tested for load temps? As long as your temps are fine, there's no need to worry. 

ok well the cases are hp media center so not so good airflow. the current memory in the one is ageis ddr4 2666. ryzen 2700x reading pa and my budget isn't all that great right now. currently I am watching the temps and well its sitting around 45-55 c. I guess that's ok not really sure though as I really need to have better thermals. I am however going to try to buy the 3700x or the 3900x when it comes out. I hope the thermal issue wont be as bad. 

8 hours ago, ralphandmike said:

ok well the cases are hp media center so not so good airflow. the current memory in the one is ageis ddr4 2666. ryzen 2700x reading pa and my budget isn't all that great right now. currently I am watching the temps and well its sitting around 45-55 c. I guess that's ok not really sure though as I really need to have better thermals. I am however going to try to buy the 3700x or the 3900x when it comes out. I hope the thermal issue wont be as bad. 

Can you be more specific about the cases? Are there any labels or indicators for the model name?

Are you testing for load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you be more specific about the cases? Are there any labels or indicators for the model name?

Are you testing for load temps?

well its all hp media center brand as far as the cases except for the rosewill one are concerned. some of them are the 7462 ones one of them is the 8000 series and the one which I am currently using is the a1600n. basically I took out everything oem on the inside and started from scratch for the system itself. problem is I am not exactly sure how to test for load temps. I mean I use coretemp to see and maybe cpu z but I really don't know the right program to test for such things under load.

well its all hp media center brand as far as the cases except for the rosewill one are concerned. some of them are the 7462 ones one of them is the 8000 series and the one which I am currently using is the a1600n. basically I took out everything oem on the inside and started from scratch for the system itself. problem is I am not exactly sure how to test for load temps. I mean I use coretemp to see and maybe cpu z but I really don't know the right program to test for such things under load.

I like using OCCT for the cpu and Unigine Valley for the graphics card. 

I'm having trouble finding documentation on the systems / cases you mentioned. Are you sure they support 120mm rads? From what little I could find, it seems like they may only have 80mm or 92mm fan mounts. It'd probably be more effective to get new cases instead of trying to fit high performance coolers that would be gimped by the case. 

24 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I like using OCCT for the cpu and Unigine Valley for the graphics card. 

I'm having trouble finding documentation on the systems / cases you mentioned. Are you sure they support 120mm rads? From what little I could find, it seems like they may only have 80mm or 92mm fan mounts. It'd probably be more effective to get new cases instead of trying to fit high performance coolers that would be gimped by the case. 

well se that's just it I don't want to use the 120mm rads for each system. I only need it for the one. I am seriously considering the drp4 or nhd15 or the wraith max cooler for my matx systems for my ryzen chips and the 120mm for anything like the 3900x or 3950x. besides I am getting an x570 or x590 board for that type of setup once everything is good on the vrm side of things and the boards have passive cooling on the chipset. I would prefer it. too many points of failure isn't good in a computer system. the cpus alone aren't cheap depending on what system you have intel or amd so it makes some sense to have a motherboard which is really reliable to begin with. yes aio does have that but it depends on the brand/ model as well since they say its better cooling on water to a degree. my system cases are old used hp cases which I bought on ebay and gutted everything out on the inside and then started from scratch. that's why. 

8 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

well se that's just it I don't want to use the 120mm rads for each system. I only need it for the one. I am seriously considering the drp4 or nhd15 or the wraith max cooler for my matx systems for my ryzen chips and the 120mm for anything like the 3900x or 3950x.

If you're referring to the system in the Thor V2, just use the H100i V2 you already have.

I'm a bit confused as to why you mentioned the other systems you had. I don't think the DRP4 or NH-D15 would fit in the HP cases. 

well it is possible I mean I am currently using the wraith max cooler and I was having some issues with getting it to secure on the am4 clips but other than that no problem. I could try the drp4 but I am concerned about if my motherboard would be able to support that kind of cooler. I don't need a bent or broken motherboard. that's the last thing I need right now. its just the weight of the cooler which is my concern.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're referring to the system in the Thor V2, just use the H100i V2 you already have.

I'm a bit confused as to why you mentioned the other systems you had. I don't think the DRP4 or NH-D15 would fit in the HP cases. 

13 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

well it is possible I mean I am currently using the wraith max cooler and I was having some issues with getting it to secure on the am4 clips but other than that no problem. I could try the drp4 but I am concerned about if my motherboard would be able to support that kind of cooler. I don't need a bent or broken motherboard. that's the last thing I need right now. its just the weight of the cooler which is my concern.

The weight is no issue. As mentioned, the mounting hardware is designed to evenly distribute the weight. 

yeah I guess os but remember the cooler will be mounted differently than the wraith max cooler. the max cooler is mounted with the cooler down on the cpu and well the fan and heatsink are not the way the drpk or ncotua might be . that is what I am concerned about like the weight might crack the board or bend it because it isn't like a normal amd or stock cooler which sits better on the cpu. its just the orientation of it which is a little worrying if you will since my case would be like ones at best buy and even then ive seen them using coolers like that and it does concern me. 

7 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

yeah I guess os but remember the cooler will be mounted differently than the wraith max cooler. the max cooler is mounted with the cooler down on the cpu and well the fan and heatsink are not the way the drpk or ncotua might be . that is what I am concerned about like the weight might crack the board or bend it because it isn't like a normal amd or stock cooler which sits better on the cpu. its just the orientation of it which is a little worrying if you will since my case would be like ones at best buy and even then ive seen them using coolers like that and it does concern me. 

thanks for letting me know about occt you may have just really helped me out with knowing my cpu temps and all.

yeah I guess os but remember the cooler will be mounted differently than the wraith max cooler. the max cooler is mounted with the cooler down on the cpu and well the fan and heatsink are not the way the drpk or ncotua might be . that is what I am concerned about like the weight might crack the board or bend it because it isn't like a normal amd or stock cooler which sits better on the cpu. its just the orientation of it which is a little worrying

The mounting hardware on heavier coolers tend to be more robust but the way the weight is distributed is still generally the same. 

As long as the cooler is properly mounted, the weight is not an issue. 

Here's an extreme example: 

thanks for letting me know about occt you may have just really helped me out with knowing my cpu temps and all.

You have to make sure to quote the member you're replying to and not yourself.