BIOS Update for Ryzen 3000

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy one of the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs,

I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard and I have to update my BIOS that the CPU works on it.

I've already seen a video from the MSI Youtube channel about the Flash BIOS Button on the MSI motherboards

So, I already have the USB drive in FAT32 format with the renamed file, but here's my concern: I already put my DDR4 DIMMs in the motherboard, same thing with my GPU and my SSD, I also put all the cables in already. Will this be a problem having it already built in, since in the video they haven't? I don't think so but I really want to be 100% safe. It is also a fresh PC build (Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse, 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 Corsair Vengance LPX, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Corsair TX750M, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD and the Cooler Master MasterCase H500 Mesh) so I don't have the CPu yet, neither do I have Windows or any files on the SSD, it's brand new. Now, when I update my BIOS with the Flash BIOS Button (when it works with all things already built in), I won't have an output on my screen right? I know the red LED on the mainboard will flash till its finished updating, but like I said I already have my GPU in. That's just all, maybe a bit senseless, but I really want to be safe there.

They may have been illustrating that you don't need anything other than power to update the BIOS and that's why they built it afterwards.  It shouldn't matter if you have it mostly built though.  

People use that method to flash their BIOS on complete systems all the time.  Some prefer it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

23 minutes ago, nick name said:

They may have been illustrating that you don't need anything other than power to update the BIOS and that's why they built it afterwards.  It shouldn't matter if you have it mostly built though.  

People use that method to flash their BIOS on complete systems all the time.  Some prefer it.  

Okay, so I updated the BIos now, the LEd stopped blinking and the PC shut down. But now it restarted. Is this normal and can i shut him off with the power button ?

1 hour ago, spcy said:

Okay, so I updated the BIos now, the LEd stopped blinking and the PC shut down. But now it restarted. Is this normal and can i shut him off with the power button ?

That is something I couldn't comment on responsibly.  I'd imagine it's ok if it doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I don't have any experience using your board.  I think I can safely say to always expect a restart as part of the process when updating the BIOS so don't interrupt that.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, nick name said:

That is something I couldn't comment on responsibly.  I'd imagine it's ok if it doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I don't have any experience using your board.  I think I can safely say to always expect a restart as part of the process when updating the BIOS so don't interrupt that.  

Well it stayed on all the time after the restart, so I just shut it off after about 30 minutes, there's no way it would take that long and also like I said the BIOS LED stopped blinking so I guess it should be right.

39 minutes ago, spcy said:

Well it stayed on all the time after the restart, so I just shut it off after about 30 minutes, there's no way it would take that long and also like I said the BIOS LED stopped blinking so I guess it should be right.

I'm 99.9% sure you're safe.  If not then just do it again.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, spcy said:

I am trying to do the same thing for a B450 Bazooka V2 board, did this method work with the CPU installed in the socket or did you have a previous Ryzen 1st or second Gen CPU in the socket? Please advise how to do this because currently I am lost for options as how to use the M flash tool?

On 6/29/2019 at 3:36 PM, spcy said:

so I don't have the CPu yet, neither do I have Windows or any files on the SSD, it's brand new. Now, when I update my BIOS with the Flash BIOS Button (when it works with all things already built in), I won't have an output on my screen right? I know the red LED on the mainboard will flash till its finished updating, but like I said I already have my GPU in. That's just all, maybe a bit senseless, but I really want to be safe t

So were you able to flash the BIOS with M flash without the CPU in the socket?