GPUs for dell poweredge r710

I recently bought a dell poweredge r710 for doing some virtualization. I would like to add a gpu like a used r9 nano or maybe a gtx 1650 but there aren't any power connectors on the motherboard. I have found a 16x riser that I can use to replace the 2 8x slot riser that was preinstalled here's a link to that. Will this riser allow me to use 75 watt gpus or will i have to find a new server? If I have to find a new server, what options are there with pcie power connectors for around $100?

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, wupasscat said:

I recently bought a dell poweredge r710 for doing some virtualization. I would like to add a gpu like a used r9 nano or maybe a gtx 1650 but there aren't any power connectors on the motherboard. I have found a 16x riser that I can use to replace the 2 8x slot riser that was preinstalled here's a link to that. Will this riser allow me to use 75 watt gpus or will i have to find a new server? If I have to find a new server, what options are there with pcie power connectors for around $100?

Thanks!

All Dell PowerEdge servers utilize a PCIe slot that draws no more than 25 watts of power, which is about 1/3 of standard.

The T series (T=Tower, R=Rackmount) will give you more options for power. Typically the SAS backplane's have enough cables/power connectors to allow you to use splitters, as I have done in my PowerEdge 2900.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, wupasscat said:

6EB81D88-E7B3-45A2-8147-922EB9E93ADF.jpeg

See where the card says "BP_PWR"? That's "Backplane Power", so follow that cable and you *might* find where the power leads are.

I say might because PE servers can be configured in many ways, and they may not have the standard config

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

As the previous posters have stated, the PCIe slots can only provide 25W of power, so you're going to have to make your own power cables that connect to the backplane power, or to the PSU breakout board itself. The real solution is to switch to something 12th gen like the Poweredge R720 which has direct accommodations for GPUs requiring PCIe power cables and the full 75W.

1 hour ago, aspoelst said:

As the previous posters have stated, the PCIe slots can only provide 25W of power, so you're going to have to make your own power cables that connect to the backplane power, or to the PSU breakout board itself. The real solution is to switch to something 12th gen like the Poweredge R720 which has direct accommodations for GPUs requiring PCIe power cables and the full 75W.

I cannot find a complete r720 for around $250 with the specs that my current machine has (2x x5650, 2x 250gb sata hdd, 120gb ssd, 570w psu.) Is there a cable I can buy that will work or can the pcie 16x aftermarket riser supply 75w?

EDIT:

Is there another server by a different brand that has the same specs but includes pcie power connectors?

2 hours ago, wupasscat said:

I cannot find a complete r720 for around $250 with the specs that my current machine has (2x x5650, 2x 250gb sata hdd, 120gb ssd, 570w psu.) Is there a cable I can buy that will work or can the pcie 16x aftermarket riser supply 75w?

EDIT:

Is there another server by a different brand that has the same specs but includes pcie power connectors?

the dell r5500 is the rack mount workstation of that generation that supports gpus, but really id try to get a r720 as the r710's are getting pretty old these days