Cisco 3602i AC Module with Brocade ICX 6430-48P PoE Issues.

PlenumRated

Hello, 

I just got my AC module for my Cisco 3602i AP and I am having trouble enabling PoE+ so I can use the module. The AP boots and works fine, but when I enable the AC module it says that I don't have enough inline power. I have set the power limits on my switch to 30000. But when I reboot the AP it still says its running on 15.4W. Any help would be appreciated. 

1594794346_CiscoPoEIssue.PNG.d132c35cb89608680144dfac6e6e5cf6.PNG  CISCO

1799471384_BrocadeSwitchPoE.PNG.febe1bd2cf880e6415013fbee8f6800b.PNG BROCADE

"Just another day at the office" Captain Price -Call of Duty

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Did you check your physical cables? How long is the wire run?

I am running CAT 5.e and the run is no longer then 35 feet. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew45985 said:

I am running CAT 5.e and the run is no longer then 35 feet. 

Did you test what would happen if you used a much shorter cable?

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you test what would happen if you used a much shorter cable?

Same issue. AP thinks 15.4W. I have it set with CDP as well. It should have 30W...

Have you checked the logs on the switch to see whether this is an issue with the overall POE budget?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Have you checked the logs on the switch to see whether this is an issue with the overall POE budget?

Yes: 

Power Supply total capacity is 370000 of which 314200 is currently available. Power has been successfully allocated 58 times.

12 minutes ago, Matthew45985 said:

Same issue. AP thinks 15.4W. I have it set with CDP as well. It should have 30W...

If it's a software issue I can't really help you there, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If it's a software issue I can't really help you there, sorry.

Thank you for your help. Maybe there is a Cisco or Brocade person that knows more then I do!

55 minutes ago, Matthew45985 said:

Thank you for your help. Maybe there is a Cisco or Brocade person that knows more then I do!

The forum has a good group of very network/server savvy people. brwainer is one of them. It's just a matter of the others finding your post. I don't know the backgrounds of them all so I can't point out any one with in depth knowledge of CISCO equipment though.

@Lurick is the Cisco Guru! Let's see if he can help. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The AP and switch should be able to do LLDP as well and, I could be wrong, but I believe you might need LLDP enabled for full power negotiation.

One other question, is the AP in "standalone" mode? What version of software are you running on it?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

The AP and switch should be able to do LLDP as well and, I could be wrong, but I believe you might need LLDP enabled for full power negotiation.

One other question, is the AP in "standalone" mode? What version of software are you running on it?

The code is 15.3(3)JF5 on the AP. I have to figure out how to enable LLDP on Brocade and find it on the AP. 

The code is 15.3(3)JF5 on the AP. I have to figure out how to enable LLDP on Brocade and find it on the AP. 

What firmware version is on the switch?

10 minutes ago, brwainer said:

What firmware version is on the switch?

Hopefully this is correct. I only have access to the web interface no CLI I can get on CLI later. 

07.4.00BT311 (ICX64S07400b.bin)

Hopefully this is correct. I only have access to the web interface no CLI I can get on CLI later. 

07.4.00BT311 (ICX64S07400b.bin)

Maybe try updating to 08.0.30t?  https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1994-ruckus-icx-fastiron-08-0-30t-software-release-zip You’ll have to make an account, but once you do I believe the switch firmwares are available without having a support license. Support license requirements are pretty much only checked/enforced for Controllers, and those are done on the controller itself, not the support website.

Edit: to clarify, Ruckus bought Brocade and renamed them “Ruckus ICX”.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

Maybe try updating to 08.0.30t?  https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1994-ruckus-icx-fastiron-08-0-30t-software-release-zip You’ll have to make an account, but once you do I believe the switch firmwares are available without having a support license. Support license requirements are pretty much only checked/enforced for Controllers, and those are done on the controller itself, not the support website.

Edit: to clarify, Ruckus bought Brocade and renamed them “Ruckus ICX”.

I actually was planning to upgrade the firmware. Isn't there also a separate PoE firmware as well? 

28 minutes ago, Matthew45985 said:

I actually was planning to upgrade the firmware. Isn't there also a separate PoE firmware as well? 

From the release notes:
"The initial release of the microcontroller code is still current and does not need to be upgraded. The PoE firmware version string will be kept updated to match the corresponding FastIron software version; however, this is only a cosmetic change, and the firmware itself remains unchanged. If a new version of the code is released, Brocade will notify its customers of the needed code upgrade."
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2657-fastiron-08-0-30t-release-notes page 26

8 minutes ago, brwainer said:

From the release notes:
"The initial release of the microcontroller code is still current and does not need to be upgraded. The PoE firmware version string will be kept updated to match the corresponding FastIron software version; however, this is only a cosmetic change, and the firmware itself remains unchanged. If a new version of the code is released, Brocade will notify its customers of the needed code upgrade."
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2657-fastiron-08-0-30t-release-notes page 26

Thank you! I will try when I get home later today. 

22 hours ago, brwainer said:

From the release notes:

I updated the image and about to update the boot code. I have PoE+ files under firmware, how would I go about updating that? I just need the syntax. 

1 hour ago, Matthew45985 said:

I updated the image and about to update the boot code. I have PoE+ files under firmware, how would I go about updating that? I just need the syntax. 

Did you read the release notes? I’m pretty sure it was there in the POE Firmware section.

31 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Did you read the release notes? I’m pretty sure it was there in the POE Firmware section.

Yes, I am updating the firmware now. I get all the way:

U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....60 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....70 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....80 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....90 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....100 percent completed.                                                PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...programming firmware...completed.                                                     PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...upgrading firmware...completed. Module will be reset.                                 PoE Info: Resetting in slot 1....                                                                                       PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.                                                                      PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults.....                                                                             PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 1: Writing port defaults on module in slot 1....                           PoE Info: Programming Brocade Defaults: Step 2: Writing PM defaults on module in slot 1.                                PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 3: Writing user byte 0xf0 on module in slot 1.                             PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 4: Saving settings on module in slot 1.                                    PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults....completed. 

Then it just stops. I hit enter and it puts me back in privileged exec. After watching a video, this is not the last step. There are more syntax after PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults....completed. 

5 hours ago, Matthew45985 said:

Yes, I am updating the firmware now. I get all the way:

U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....60 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....70 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....80 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....90 percent completed.                                                 U1-MSG: PoE Info: Firmware Download on slot 1.....100 percent completed.                                                PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...programming firmware...completed.                                                     PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...upgrading firmware...completed. Module will be reset.                                 PoE Info: Resetting in slot 1....                                                                                       PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.                                                                      PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults.....                                                                             PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 1: Writing port defaults on module in slot 1....                           PoE Info: Programming Brocade Defaults: Step 2: Writing PM defaults on module in slot 1.                                PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 3: Writing user byte 0xf0 on module in slot 1.                             PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults. Step 4: Saving settings on module in slot 1.                                    PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults....completed. 

Then it just stops. I hit enter and it puts me back in privileged exec. After watching a video, this is not the last step. There are more syntax after PoE Info: Programming Brocade defaults....completed. 

Was the example video you are looking at, perhaps a stack of more than one switch? If so, then it would have repeated the process for Slot 2, Slot 3, etc.

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Was the example video you are looking at, perhaps a stack of more than one switch? If so, then it would have repeated the process for Slot 2, Slot 3, etc.

Hello, I actually got it to update properly. But I am still back to square 1 about the PoE+ issues.