A mobo with fast boot.

Vbgf

I was wondering if there is a mobo that passes POST faster than other mobos. My PC passes the windows boot fast, but the pre winodws stuff are quite a bit slower compared to the win boot. I am running a 840 pro as my drive in AHCI mode from a SATA 3 interface (6Gb/s) on my M4A87TD (vanillia) board.  Don't get me wrong i have a boot time of about 25~30 secs but still. Is this the mobo's fault, and can the POST be passed faster? I am interested in AMD side of things atm, but i also want to hear if the i3-5-7s make the boot time even faster.

If you use any SSD I'm pretty sure boot times are pretty darn quick. Asus's raidr express is pretty darn quick but expensive.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

It's not the cpu that matters, it's all about the BIOS/UEFI

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I was wondering if there is a mobo that passes POST faster than other mobos. My PC passes the windows boot fast, but the pre winodws stuff are quite a bit slower compared to the win boot. I am running a 840 pro as my drive in AHCI mode from a SATA 3 interface (6Gb/s) on my M4A87TD (vanillia) board.  Don't get me wrong i have a boot time of about 25~30 secs but still. Is this the mobo's fault, and can the POST be passed faster? I am interested in AMD side of things atm, but i also want to hear if the i3-5-7s make the boot time even faster.

You can set the post screen to almost nothing in the BIOS

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I know on my Crosshair, if I set POST delay to 0 and enable the fast boot switch the windows loading screen is up within 2 seconds of me pressing the power button and into windows within 15-20. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

You can set the post screen to almost nothing in the BIOS

I know on my Crosshair, if I set POST delay to 0 and enable the fast boot switch the windows loading screen is up within 2 seconds of me pressing the power button and into windows within 15-20. 

I don't think my bios has that feature, where can i check it?

I don't think my bios has that feature, where can i check it?

Go into the BIOS. It should be in the boot category as 'splash screen time', 'screen logos display' or something of the sort.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Go into the BIOS. It should be in the boot category as 'splash screen time', 'screen logos display' or something of the sort.

Thanks, going to do that now.

Most MSI Motherboards have an option called "fastboot" I'm using a plain old HDD with an MSI mobo and I usually boot in within 10 seconds.

Most MSI Motherboards have an option called "fastboot" I'm using a plain old HDD with an MSI mobo and I usually boot in within 10 seconds.

that's what I use

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

Well with full fastboot settings the boot time between post & windows is like 1-2secs. There are a few requirements to use this, the drives have to be GPT formatted and if you complety disable legacy mode your gpu needs to have an uefi gop bios to fully support fastboot.

I am with an asus mobo so i don't have the MSI features. And i've read some stuff on fast boot, isn't it intel only? Also the option in my BIOS is just quick boot (like any mobo ever) and it's enabled by default. My pc boots fast but the 1-2 secs post time  is unheard of :D

Yeah mine boots fast. To boot any faster would need to re install win 8.1 (trial ran out but I deleted it in days due to work stuff not working well) and get a SSD.

Win 8 boots pretty damn fast with a SSD. That and the new Direct X were all I liked about it. Will prob upgrade to it when Witcher 3 comes out if the performance gains are big.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I have an Asus Z87 board and theres a option in the bios (I think its in "Boot") and I can enable fast boot and select which devices to initialize when going through POST. My POST is around 1-2 seconds which is pretty quick imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer