Overclocking today most likely need some advice

Hey guys I am planning on overclocking my rig today but I am a little nervous (it will be my first time overclocking) all I really want to hit is something like 4.2Ghz on an average chip what do you guys think the voltage would be I am thinking of putting it at 1.2 on the vCore and following the Haswell overclocking guide Linus made for the rest do you think I will be fine?

Go in steps. Like if your chip is on 1.2v go up in small baby steps to 1.25v then maybe 1.3v and obviously change the multiplier in the same ratio. Check your temperature constantly.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Go in steps. Like if your chip is on 1.2v go up in small baby steps to 1.25.

no, go +0.005V every time

no, go +0.005V every time

Ohh my bad :S

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Run maybe something like Prime95 although the guys are saying it's not good but that is the worst case scenario for like 30 minutes. Check if your graphics card too artifacts in the event but this is processor OC not graphics card. Make sure you don't bluescreen your monitor.

Run maybe something like Prime95 although the guys are saying it's not good but that is the worst case scenario for like 30 minutes. Check if your graphics card too artifacts in the event but this is processor OC not graphics card. Make sure you don't bluescreen your monitor.

I found this tutorial my basically the same BIOS do you think its good?

@Coombzy yeah it's pretty good.

ok I am going to try 1.1v at 4.2GHz then run OCCT I don't get how to use AIDA64 the handy thing is there is a reset CMOS button on the back of my motherboard I also noticed my cpu at idle is about 15 degrees less than his 

ok I am going to try 1.1v at 4.2GHz then run OCCT I don't get how to use AIDA64 the handy thing is there is a reset CMOS button on the back of my motherboard I also noticed my cpu at idle is about 15 degrees less than his

I'm no expert, but 1.1v with 4.2ghz, not sure whether that would work.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I'm no expert, but 1.1v with 4.8ghz?

only want to try 4.2GHz for now then I will try 1.25 at 4.4GHz 

When you're overclocking you don't always get what you want, and don't speculate on values. Start slowly and use prime95, intel burn in, and coretemp/HWmonitor. Just because you boot to the OS doesn't mean your clock is stable, so take care in what you're doing. Oh before I forget download OCCT to get a more specific idea of what's going on with voltage. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Ok without messing about with anything except XMP this is the result I was getting my motherboard auto overclocks it all the time to the boost apparently but anyway the volts seem to high for 3.9GHz

6AgY5.jpg

Wait I'm gonna ask someone if they can help you @DudeWazap hey can you lend Coombzy a hand he's overclocking his 4770K and wants to find out a good clock for probably a long usage time can you share any points for him? I've already told him some parts about OC'ing his processor anyway.

Wait I'm gonna ask someone if they can help you @DudeWazap hey can you lend Coombzy a hand he's overclocking his 4770K and wants to find out a good clock for probably a long usage time can you share any points for him? I've already told him some parts about OC'ing his processor anyway.

One thing I am sure of is AIDA64 CPUID is probably lying about the voltage the CPU-Z voltage seems much more accurate but I am not sure 

One thing I am sure of is AIDA64 CPUID is probably lying about the voltage 

I can't tell that for sure bro :( but use different softwares like CPU-Z to compare it with.

I can't tell that for sure bro :( but use different softwares like CPU-Z to compare it with.

yeah I had CPU-Z running next to it and the CPU-Z voltage seems a lot more truthful for the clock it was at 

a little update I am trying a quick 4GHz overclock at 1.09 volts the highest temp so far is 66 

You can go 4.2ghz and just leave the vcore on auto if you want

for 4.2GHZ are you sure so just put the multiplier as 42 and leave everything else?  

Unfortunately I haven't overclocked mine yet. :(  I will soon but just have been lazy lately. 

When I overclock mine I will be copying Linus's settings and see how it goes. :)

I'll over clock it tomorrow maybe. ;)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

@DudeWazap -_- What!!!

PC enthusiasts are lazy to oc their chips :P

@DudeWazap -_- What!!!

I just haven't had a real reason to overclock it. I only play games on my PC as well as YouTube and browsing the forum. B)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

@DudeWazap -_- What!!!

From the temps I got testing a few different settings 4GHz,4.2GHz I really think this chip is a really bad overclocker 

I just haven't had a real reason to overclock it. I only play games on my PC as well as YouTube and browsing the forum. B)

I want to experiment by overclocking but honestly right now I I mostly use the gpu to render so I am debating on whether to bother its fine at stock might just do 4GHz and leave it  :3 

I want to experiment by overclocking but honestly right now I I mostly use the gpu to render so I am debating on whether to bother its fine at stock might just do 4GHz and leave it  :3 

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just a small overclock nothing to extreme and leave it. Maybe overclock it higher later if I feel I may need to.

Spoiler

-

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just a small overclock nothing to extreme and leave it. Maybe overclock it higher later if I feel I may need to.

yep I just overclocked it to 4GHz on auto leaving it there as the performance satisfies me for now some may say I wasted money not really I bought it to possibly dabble in overclocking,a friend of mine also bought the 4770K and his excuse for not getting the 4770 was why I bought the best I could get in my budget so what if I don't intend to overclock