Less fps on lower settings

Dafuuq
Go to solution Solved by Dafuuq,
On 6/27/2019 at 10:20 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Fortnite is designed to run on potato PCs. There's only so much work it can give out.

Yeah makes sence, i just hoped it would be as much as the "pro's" since i want to have a clean game, i ain't no pro and am luckily not playing alot and starting to dislike, so hopefully it will be usefull in games i do like :) Thanks for helping me out here, i think i will not upgrade anything so far, but might in the future :D 

Dear Forum,

I have no real idea where to post this or ask it, so i decided to ask it here. Right of the bat i am not really familiar with stuff like this, so i thought you guys could hopefully help me out!

I've had a new GPU installed for the last 2 weeks, the RTX 2080 to replace my old GTX 970.

My pc specs are:

- i7-6700(non-k)

- RTX 2080

- 16GB RAM

- H110M PRO-D (Really standard mb i know..)

- 600W PSU

The big problem i'm getting is something y'all probably heard of is A underperforming GPU. Getting less fps on lower settings than on high.
In games like Battlefield 1, 4 & 5 and Singleplayer games where i always prefer the highest settings my GPU usage is 90-100% which is great! (With a 80% CPU) At great temps! (GPU ~80°C  max)
But games like Rainbow Six Siege & Fortnite for example the usage on high is only 40% on gpu (all max) and 30% cpu with kinda ok fps but on low settings it gets as bad as 20% gpu and 40% cpu.
Temps are fine but fps isn't. As it's higher on high settings than low because of the usage. I have a 180hz monitor which i like to use even in highly demanding areas in the game. But it's not good to play at 80-100 fps there (it feels laggy).

What i tried: Fresh windows 10 reinstall with all drivers up to date, overclocking gpu, running different benchmarks (which look fine there, but not in games)
This can be an obvious cpu bottleneck for you guys, but like i said, i have no clue! I will answer all you guys ask for.

Thanks for helping!

32 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

Temps are fine but fps isn't. As it's higher on high settings than low because of the usage. I have a 180hz monitor which i like to use even in highly demanding areas in the game. But it's not good to play at 80-100 fps there (it feels laggy).

What's the FPS difference? GPU usage doesn't say anything about FPS

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I'm not sure about Rainbow Six: Siege, but Fortnite is designed to be an easy-peasy game to run. So I don't expect it to tax the CPU all that much and its performance is largely based on the performance of the CPU's core itself. You can see if overclocking can alleviate this.

Also lowering settings puts more strain on the CPU because the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to do. By lowering the graphics settings, the GPU gets done quicker and is waiting for the CPU to send it more commands. Or basically, if you want the GPU to run at 100 FPS, the CPU has to be able to tell the GPU what to do 100 times per second. If the CPU can't complete game logic within 10ms (the frame time of 100 FPS), then the GPU will never be able to do 100 FPS.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:22 PM, _Syn_ said:

What's the FPS difference? GPU usage doesn't say anything about FPS

So for example in Fortnite, The fps on all max is usually around 220 normally and 100-150 in high demanding areas, and 200 on all low but more like a 80-100 fps in high demanding areas.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm not sure about Rainbow Six: Siege, but Fortnite is designed to be an easy-peasy game to run. So I don't expect it to tax the CPU all that much and its performance is largely based on the performance of the CPU's core itself. You can see if overclocking can alleviate this.

Also lowering settings puts more strain on the CPU because the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to do. By lowering the graphics settings, the GPU gets done quicker and is waiting for the CPU to send it more commands. Or basically, if you want the GPU to run at 100 FPS, the CPU has to be able to tell the GPU what to do 100 times per second. If the CPU can't complete game logic within 10ms (the frame time of 100 FPS), then the GPU will never be able to do 100 FPS.

So what you mean is that CPU doesn't really make a difference on low or high settings, it's about the max amount of frame requests it can send to the GPU? Which would be more on low settings since the GPU can handle more?

I am going to try CPU overclocking to see if that works out, otherwise a CPU upgrade should be a good thing to do? Also not sure if it's a mdb problem.

2 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

So what you mean is that CPU doesn't really make a difference on low or high settings, it's about the max amount of frame requests it can send to the GPU? Which would be more on low settings since the GPU can handle more?

Generally speaking yes. Graphics settings are rarely, if ever, affected by CPU performance.

2 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

I am going to try CPU overclocking to see if that works out, otherwise a CPU upgrade should be a good thing to do? Also not sure if it's a mdb problem.

In your case, you can't overclock by way of tweaking with the multiplier since it's a locked CPU and the board doesn't support that anyway. I'm not even sure if the board supports overclocking over BCLK (likely no). Upgrading the CPU would be a good idea, but the only thing that'd be an upgrade is to the i7-6700K... which is somewhat pointless on the motherboard that you have.

17 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Generally speaking yes. Graphics settings are rarely, if ever, affected by CPU performance.

In your case, you can't overclock by way of tweaking with the multiplier since it's a locked CPU and the board doesn't support that anyway. I'm not even sure if the board supports overclocking over BCLK (likely no). Upgrading the CPU would be a good idea, but the only thing that'd be an upgrade is to the i7-6700K... which is somewhat pointless on the motherboard that you have.

Okay, that makes sense, i already figured out i can't overclock my CPU. Which means a CPU upgrade, but like you said, my mdb is not supporting that. So the best thing to do is a Motherboard upgrade and a CPU upgrade, I was looking at the asus rog z370-f gaming and think a good CPU upgrade might be a i7-8700K so it's atleast worth it. Also are you sure my 600W psu will support this?

12 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

Okay, that makes sense, i already figured out i can't overclock my CPU. Which means a CPU upgrade, but like you said, my mdb is not supporting that. So the best thing to do is a Motherboard upgrade and a CPU upgrade, I was looking at the asus rog z370-f gaming and think a good CPU upgrade might be a i7-8700K so it's atleast worth it. Also are you sure my 600W psu will support this?

600W is fine as long as it's can deliver about at least 400W on the 12V+ rail, which I'm sure it can.

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

600W is fine as long as it's can deliver about at least 400W on the 12V+ rail, which I'm sure it can.

Yeah i did some Watt usage looking and it should be fine with my current pc. I just think Fortnite is really badly optimized compared to Battlefield. Cause i just can't get both the cpu usage and gpu usage above 50% in that game on low settings which feels like i'm playing on lower fps than with my GTX 970, sucks that this 800 euro gpu hasn't fixed my fps issues :(

6 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

Yeah i did some Watt usage looking and it should be fine with my current pc. I just think Fortnite is really badly optimized compared to Battlefield. Cause i just can't get both the cpu usage and gpu usage above 50% in that game on low settings which feels like i'm playing on lower fps than with my GTX 970, sucks that this 800 euro gpu hasn't fixed my fps issues :(

Fortnite is designed to run on potato PCs. There's only so much work it can give out.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:20 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yeah makes sence, i just hoped it would be as much as the "pro's" since i want to have a clean game, i ain't no pro and am luckily not playing alot and starting to dislike, so hopefully it will be usefull in games i do like :) Thanks for helping me out here, i think i will not upgrade anything so far, but might in the future :D