NVMe Vs SSD

Lilmilez1205

im sure this has been asked ALOT and if it has can i be pointed in the right direction, if not...

i have Two NVME slots on my MB and i was wondering if it would be worth the 90 GBP to get a 256GB to replace my SSD which is plugged via sATA cable,

many say i wont see a proformance differnce as i use my system for games and alot of browsing (mainly youtube), so would it be worth it or should i just use the money to buy a bigger SSD as mine is 240 an its a Sandisc Ultra II, just seems a shame to buy a snazzy new MB and not use the new sockets as i want to in the long run abloish my HDD out of the system as its in the way of my fans, so was thinking of putting it into a external for the time being but not untill i im sure what to do with the SSD i have as if getting the NVME is better ill use my 240SSD for my most common games, 4 years on and its only lost 2%health :)

all sata ports filled up? cannot use both?

if so add sata to pci adaptor.

and which ssd s are you planning?

Your use case, NVMe and SATA based SSD will make very little difference. Only if you do very big file transfer or working with very large files, then NVMe will provide noticeable difference. Loading games, opening apps, I bet you can't tell the difference between NVMe and SATA based SSDs. The you-called NVMe slots is actually M.2 slots. Most likely it will work with Sata based M.2 SSD also. Yes, M.2 SSD comes with NVMe and SATA versions.

NVME is a type of SSD.....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Deli i do move large files (up to 40gb sometimes) but thats from HDD as ive had to shift them from my current SSD but i have always wanted to have a SSD as my "This Week" drive this is why im asking would it make much diff if i got a NVME, as moving from SSD to NVME and vise versa would be much quicker whic is what i need, sorry i call it NVME its just that how i know my two sockets as they (acording to the manal) wont take the older gen M2 its a B450 if that helps, my bios is up to date too, latest is april this year,

this is a new thing to me so please bear with me

4 minutes ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

@Deli i do move large files (up to 40gb sometimes) but thats from HDD as ive had to shift them from my current SSD but i have always wanted to have a SSD as my "This Week" drive this is why im asking would it make much diff if i got a NVME, as moving from SSD to NVME and vise versa would be much quicker whic is what i need, sorry i call it NVME its just that how i know my two sockets as they (acording to the manal) wont take the older gen M2 its a B450 if that helps, my bios is up to date too, latest is april this year

If you use a small(250 -500GB) SSD as boot drive. You can go either NVME or SATA. The price difference isn't that big. So buy what ever you want. Just don't expect a day and night difference upgrading from 2.5' SSD to a NVMe M.2 drive. I also won't call it's a waste of money. As I also use one in my PC.

@Deli so would you recomend just spending the money on a bigger sATA SSD and using my old boot drive as a "middle" insted?

nvme basically means ssd uses pci-e lanes to transfer data instead of a sata link.

So it's mostly just maximum throughput difference.

SATA is limited to ~560 MB/s

nvme SSDs can achieve 1..8 GB/s, depending on number of lanes and pci-e version.

pci-e 2.0: 500MB/s per lane

pci-e 3.0: ~970MB/s per lane

pci-e 4.0: 1940 MB/s per lane

You can have 2 or 4 lanes used in a M.2 connector.

So max speed = [2 | 4] x [ 500 | 970 | 1940] MB/s

Another minor benefit is if m.2 is wired directly to cpu.

With sata ssds data goes  ssd-> sata controller -> chipset -> cpu

and problem in "highway" between chipset and cpu is limited to 4GB/s so if you're reading/writing data from/to several devices  (ex usb capture card, reading from 3-4 sata ssds at same time etc) that highway can get congested.

if you don't need to copy often large files super fast, imho you can live with regular SATA SSDs. Wouldn't replace unless it has issues

@mariushm thank you that made alot of sence, i think i will go for just getting another sATA SSD for my "week transfers" thank you all for this :)