Help selecting stuff for 10gig

Insprill

Hello everyone! I recently got a Cisco 4948 10GE switch and want to setup a 10gig link to my pc. Now, i am pretty new to fiber and that kind of stuff so i need help on what exactly to buy, my PC is about 15-16ft away from the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

The 4948 10GE doesn't use fibre, so you don't need to know much about it. 

A normal CAT 6 + cable in one of the 10G uplink ports will do fine. 

As for a NIC, the Asus XG C100C is a good choice for not a huge amount of money. You can also fine Intelk X520 cards fairly cheap on eBay.

EDIT: Ignore that, yes it does. 

You'd be best off going for MMF SFP+ modules because it's a short run. 

Cisco SFP-10G-SR modules should work. Though you can get compatible ones from other brands for cheaper.

8 hours ago, Insprill. said:

Unfortunately not. Everything but the X2-FC10G-LR is compatible but the issue is those FC10G-LR are long range, single mode, optics while the cable and transceiver are for short range multi-mode. You would either need to buy some DS-X2-FC10G-SR like these:

https://www.fs.com/products/15002.html

-OR-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CISCO-SFP-10G-LR-SFP-TRANSCEIVER-MODULE-GBIC-10G-10GB-SFP-V02-Cisco-Genuine/264197594545?epid=219485372&hash=item3d83675db1:g:1X8AAOSwKPNc-JL8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B1DV1C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A27DUHPPTQX1VZ&tag=linus21-20&th=1

One other note is that I'm not sure if the HP card will work in a non-HP server either.

Edit:

These NICs will work as I use them myself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solarflare-SFN5162F-Dual-Port-10G-SFP-Midrange-Server-Adapter-NEW/172964331956?epid=1342175310&hash=item28457a41b4:g:wp0AAOSwvTpZ~ftu

or a cheaper version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SolarFlare-SFN5122F-Dual-Port-10Gb-s-PCI-E-2-0-x8-Enterprise-Sever-Adapter-NIC/283440227493?hash=item41fe5aa4a5:g:cXcAAOSwO~JcpTzh

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok, so i got all the stuff in, updated the drivers (with Ethernet) and it says for the card that "no cable is plugged in"

2 hours ago, Insprill. said:

Ok, so i got all the stuff in, updated the drivers (with Ethernet) and it says for the card that "no cable is plugged in"

do the link lights light up?

does the switch show the transceiver in the cli?

I see the Transceiver in the terminal for my switch, but i do not see any lights :/

10 hours ago, Insprill. said:

I see the Transceiver in the terminal for my switch, but i do not see any lights :/

Which parts did you buy exactly?

Want to make sure everything matches up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 hours ago, Insprill. said:

I know this may sound stupid but which drivers did you install?

https://support.solarflare.com/index.php/component/cognidox/?view=categories&id=1946

v4.12.1.1025

Is the one you need, also try the CLI firmware update tool as well

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I installed the one for 5000 series, (not single port) from that same site, and just reinstalled it again, still nothing. After re-installing i restarted my pc and the link lights flashed a few times, then nothing.

7 hours ago, Insprill. said:

I installed the one for 5000 series, (not single port) from that same site, and just reinstalled it again, still nothing. After re-installing i restarted my pc and the link lights flashed a few times, then nothing.

The cable transmit and receive might be swapped. It's easy to switch around the SC connectors and try that.

4 hours ago, Insprill. said:

Cant, connecter doesn't come apart

I've never seen one that doesn't, it can be a bit of a pain.

Failing that swap the LC connector end

A few things that might be wrong.

1) The RX and TX might be swapped. So that your PC is trying to send light through the same cable as the switch tries to send it through. You can either physically check this on the SFP by looking at the way the arrows point and then following that strand to the other side, or by simply decoupling the two strands and swapping place with them (see the video linked above for how to do it).

2) If you're using third party SFPs in a Cisco switch you might need to enter these two commands:

switch(config)# no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

switch(config)# service unsupported-transceiver

You can see if this is the issue by looking at show int status.

3) The port on the switch is incorrectly configured. For example it might be shut down, or some other thing.

4) Something is wrong on the PC, such as driver issues or incompatible hardware.

1. I physically checked the cables, and the transmit and receive are correct on both ends 2. everything but the NIC and the cable are made by cisco

3. not sure on how to check that

4. I tried 2 different NIC's and 2 different transceivers in both slots on both cards