Cheap everyday computer

I am thinking about possibly building a cheap everyday computer for my family. The most it could cost would be around $500, less is better though. It’s not for gaming, but can be if you think it can work out well. So it has to be a reliable pc and I am open to almost anything. Also small size would be awesome, but not required. If anyone can figure out a good build for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks, can’t wait to see what is came up with.

Here you go : 

You can save around 30$ by going with just 8 GB of memory (2 x 4 GB) and add later another 8 GB if you feel it's not enough. The motherboard has 4 memory slots.

You can also save around 45$ by dropping the 1 TB hard drive if you have one around or you can buy one later.

The 250 GB SSD is enough for operating system and maybe 1-2 games.

With the above, you'll get the price below 500$ ignoring the mail-in rebates

Note that some prices are the same on Amazon or Newegg so you could probably reduce the stores to only Newegg and Amazon for a few dollars more.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($134.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Value 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($48.98 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $447.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:02 EDT-0400

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Here you go : 

You can save around 30$ by going with just 8 GB of memory (2 x 4 GB) and add later another 8 GB if you feel it's not enough. The motherboard has 4 memory slots.

You can also save around 45$ by dropping the 1 TB hard drive if you have one around or you can buy one later.

The 250 GB SSD is enough for operating system and maybe 1-2 games.

With the above, you'll get the price below 500$ ignoring the mail-in rebates

Note that some prices are the same on Amazon or Newegg so you could probably reduce the stores to only Newegg and Amazon for a few dollars more.

Thank you a lot this seems like a really good system for a really good price. I really do appreciate it.

Here's a quick list I whipped together. It should easily power through any tasks your family could throw at it, as well as some moderate gaming if you're in that mood.

Heres the PCPartPicker list:

If you want any clarification or changes just let me know!

Edited by mmyron

image.png.3ff602c05db9a65570e3c028fda5110f.png

This is what I came up with. This is a MicroATX build for only $401 after mail-in rebates. The Ryzen 5 2600 is a pretty fast 6-Core processor, so you should be able to do pretty much anything. It will probably be able to handle some video editing, but I don't edit videos so I'm not too how much you could do with this. It also comes with a cooler. It's worth noting that the next gen Ryzen CPUs are coming out very soon, so there might be a better 2600 alternative if you wait a few weeks, but I have heard that they will be more expensive. The SSD is cheap, but is high capacity for the price (512gb). You can expand your storage later depending on how much you need. The case is cheap, but should be good enough for this system. You also get an 80+ bronze certified semi-modular 450w PSU from Corsair. This is a good CPU and is more than enough to power this system. I found a kit of 3000MHz RAM (2x4GB). This is fast RAM which is important when building a Ryzen system. 8GB should be plenty for this PC unless you want to use very demanding software or play demanding games. I chose not to include a Graphics card, since you said you are not going to use it for gaming. The 450w PSU should be good enough for most GPUs anyway, so you should be able to install one later if you ever need one, and the Ryzen 5 has more than enough power for something like a GTX 1050/1060/1070/1660 and even an RTX 2060.

PC Part picker is not finding any compatibility issues with this build, so you should be good, however I obviously can't be 110% sure.

If you can build this for only $400 you have an extra $100 that you can do whatever you want with. You could get a GPU, or get a better case, more storage or more RAM :)

EDIT: I completely overlooked the fact that the Ryzen 5 2600 doesn't actually have an iGPU, so you would not be able to use it without a Graphics card. I would recommend going for something like a GTX 1050, which you can probably get for around 135. If you need something cheaper, you could go with a Ryzen 5 2400G which has an iGPU, however I know very little about it. If you don't need GPU power at all then you can obviously go for something that's less than $100.

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($134.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Value 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($48.98 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $447.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:02 EDT-0400

Thank you, this also looks really good I will look into it more. I appreciate it.

Thank you everyone I will look in detail at all of yours and try to make the best computer for me.

8 minutes ago, Jzan said:

Thank you, this also looks really good I will look into it more. I appreciate it.

The above configuration (SupaComputa) isn't as good. You're paying more for a processor with integrated graphics, but the graphics are way less powerful compared to a RX 570 I have suggested above. Also, the SSD is of lower quality. In addition to that, you're also getting only 8 GB of memory.

My configuration is a bit more expensive but can be trimmed down if your budget is really tight.

The configuration suggested by JoaKimzen doesn't have a video card. The Ryzen 2600 cpu doesn't have integrated graphics. Also you have only 8 GB memory and somewhat outdated power supply (still good but better choices today for maybe a few dollars more)

mmyron's configuration combines a 2200g processor (only quad core) with a good video card, which is pointless - the integrated graphics in the cpu will never be used. Also, has only one memory stick of 8 GB which will decrease the performance of the system - dual channel (using 2 sticks) is a must with Ryzen processors.

He also adds a 30$ cooler, when the processor comes with a stock cooler in the package, that's perfectly suitable for such processor. There's really no need for it.

My configuration combines a 1600 processor which while first generation Ryzen, it has six cores and can be overclocked if desired in the future to get even more performance. The stock cooler that it comes with is perfectly adequate for regular use and even if you're not gonna do heavy overclocking. If you'll overclock, you may find it a bit on the noisy side, so you may want to go with a more powerful cooler.

For a family computer, it makes no sense to pay around 30$ more to go with the 2nd gen Ryzen 2600 - the performance difference is probably around 1-2% ... you won't notice it in real life.

Processors like 2200g or 2400g only make sense if you're not going to use a separate video card and if you only play a few games like Overwatch, basically games you can play in 720p. These are processors that are perfect for browsing, playing browser games, watching Youtube, playing Rocket League and similar games from time to time, but not powerful enough in the graphics for various games.

Video cards like RX 570 are cheap enough and play majority of games at 1080p with high quality settings.

The above configuration (SupaComputa) isn't as good. You're paying more for a processor with integrated graphics, but the graphics are way less powerful compared to a RX 570 I have suggested above. Also, the SSD is of lower quality. In addition to that, you're also getting only 8 GB of memory.

My configuration is a bit more expensive but can be trimmed down if your budget is really tight.

The configuration suggested by JoaKimzen doesn't have a video card. The Ryzen 2600 cpu doesn't have integrated graphics. Also you have only 8 GB memory and somewhat outdated power supply (still good but better choices today for maybe a few dollars more)

mmyron's configuration combines a 2200g processor (only quad core) with a good video card, which is pointless - the integrated graphics in the cpu will never be used. Also, has only one memory stick of 8 GB which will decrease the performance of the system - dual channel (using 2 sticks) is a must with Ryzen processors.

My configuration combines a 1600 processor (while first gen, it does have 6 cores and it's fast, so the cpu-video card is more balanced, better for future)

No yea yours looks better and I would probably just get a smaller hard drive. I was just trying to be nice to everyone, but I do agree yours looked really good and would be a better computer.

11 minutes ago, JoaKimzen said:

I chose not to include a Graphics card, since you said you are not going to use it for gaming.

so he's just gonna be staring at his rig after he's done building it? the 2600 doesn't have an iGPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

so he's just gonna be staring at his rig after he's done building it? the 2600 doesn't have an iGPU.

You are right and I am still fine with no GPU just if it fits into a better system I will welcome it in to the computer.

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

wow I can't believe I didn't think about that.

Yeah he should go with either the 2400G or spend some extra money on a 1050 or something, I'm gonna edit my post

Just now, Jzan said:

You are right and I am still fine with no GPU just if it fits into a better system I will welcome it in to the computer.

read: no iGPU. so you straight-up can't use it at all unless you have a Graphics card in there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($145.88 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: XPG - SX6000 Lite 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G  Video Card  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - P48 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.95 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $507.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:25 EDT-0400

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

read: no iGPU. so you straight-up can't use it at all unless you have a Graphics card in there.

I should have read closer, also I guess I should have mentioned that it does need to put out an image.

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($145.88 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G  Video Card  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $507.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:25 EDT-0400

A few things I don’t know much about that graphics card. How does it compare to Navida? Also I have seen that ASRock motherboard a few times how is that I have never heard of the brand.

All of the builds here are complete overkill for what you've asked for. This will do the trick and it will even do some gaming at low-medium settings (and don't worry, it has an iGPU lol). Plus this one is a smaller tower like you asked for:

1 minute ago, Jzan said:

A few things I don’t know much about that graphics card. How does it compare to Navida? Also I have seen that ASRock motherboard a few times how is that I have never heard of the brand.

nothing competes with the 570 at it's price range.

nothing competes with the 570 at it's price range.

Cool and do you know anything about the motherboard.

The RX 570 is comparable in performance with a nVidia GTX 1060.

Asrock is a big name in motherboards, like Asus or Gigabyte... that particular Asrock motherboard (that you linked in the comment) is OK but it's ATX format.

The Gigabyte one I suggested in my configuration is a bit more expensive, but it's in mATX format, allowing use with a mini Tower case (the OP said he wanted a smaller computer).

I'm curious why people are trying to save 10-25$ by going with a 85$ quad core 2200g and not even use the integrated graphics of a 2200g when you can buy a Ryzen 1600 for 110$.

You have a 4 core 4 thread 2200g for 85$ or you have a 6 core 12 threads for 110$ ... the budget is up to 500$, makes no sense to suggest builds for 300-350$ when OP clearly has the funds.

Even if OP wanted a cheaper system, there's options like going with a USED video card, like for example a RX 460 2-4GB from ebay, for around 60$ ... such cards are more or less guaranteed to be absolutely fine, not used for mining (most mining coins require 3GB or more of memory)

That RX 460 would have higher graphics performance than the integrated graphics in a 2200g.

since you're not actually gaming, this will do fine:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($86.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $318.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:39 EDT-0400

since you're not actually gaming, this will do fine:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($86.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $318.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 22:39 EDT-0400

Ok thanks for both of your options I will look at them both and idk, I might try to game a little and go for the GPU option.

The RX 570 is comparable in performance with a nVidia GTX 1060.

Asrock is a big name in motherboards, like Asus or Gigabyte... that particular Asrock motherboard (that you linked in the comment) is OK but it's ATX format.

The Gigabyte one I suggested in my configuration is a bit more expensive, but it's in mATX format, allowing use with a mini Tower case (the OP said he wanted a smaller computer).

Hey thanks I will make sure to take that into consideration.