Help me choose the correct UPS for me

code99
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
45 minutes ago, code99 said:

-SNIP-

As said that would be more than enough to power everything including peripherals and networking equipment. That system might draw at most around 400-450W max and basing it on the run-time chart it will give you 5-7 mins of run time to save and shutdown.

https://www.apc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=BX1400U-GR&chartSize=large

First of all I apologize if this isnt the place to post this but I wasnt able to find a dedicated forum for this and posting it in the power supplies section seemed ok.

I live in an area with a crappy power grid or something and I get short power outages on a daily basis (they dont last more than a few seconds). Sometimes i'd get them more in one day, record for me was 23 outages in a day a while back ...

Anyway, point is i need an UPS to protect my pc since im pouring a lot of money in it and it would be a shame for it to get damaged because of some stupid power outages.

I was looking at this UPS: https://www.apc.com/shop/ro/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-1400VA-230V-AVR-Schuko-Sockets/P-BX1400U-GR

Now, is 1400VA enough for my system?

I cant measure how much power my pc uses but using PSU Wattage calculators online and just doing some maths on my own, my best guess would be somewhere around 500W. I have no idea how to use that and UPS's VA to figure out if its enough or not.

Im using a 750W PSU.

My current specs (im upgrading my pc this year, already updgraded my gpu and monitor):

CPU: i7 4790 (non K) (going to upgrade to one of the new Ryzen cpus, dont know which one yet as they are not released yet)

GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Extreme

Monitor: 1440p 144hz Acer Predator XB1

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (going to upgrade to DDR4 once the cpu/motherboard gets upgraded)

Mobo: MAXIMUS VII RANGER (getting upgraded to amd's new chipset)

I will have water cooling for the new rig, some kind of AIO. 

My goal is to have an UPS capable of keeping my PC running for at least 10 minutes in case of an outage.

6 minutes ago, code99 said:

I sure hope you have something better than a 1080p 60hz display, but don't forget that you need to power your monitor as well.

Any decent sized one should last at least 10 minutes on idle power <100W

But mostly it's just there so you have time to shut down the PC, otherwise I'd just buy a tesla wall battery type thing for the whole place if possible?
https://www.bit.com.au/news/how-long-will-a-ups-keep-your-computers-on-if-the-lights-go-out-316806

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I sure hope you have something better than a 1080p 60hz display, but don't forget that you need to power your monitor as well.

Any decent sized one should last at least 10 minutes on  idle power <100W

Its an Asus Predator 1440p 144hz monitor so yes much better than a 1080p 60hz.

And ofcourse I need to power the monitor as well.

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Any decent sized one should last at least 10 minutes on idle power <100W

But mostly it's just there so you have time to shut down the PC, otherwise I'd just buy a tesla wall battery type thing for the whole place if possible?
https://www.bit.com.au/news/how-long-will-a-ups-keep-your-computers-on-if-the-lights-go-out-316806

Well the power outages here rarely last more than a minute and if they do last more than that i will most likely just save everything and turn off the pc.

I guess its ok to run my PC for 1-2 minutes at NOT idle speeds right?  

I will read the article you linked in a bit, thanks

1 hour ago, code99 said:

This one is just fine!

I run my system on a 1200VA.

PC at idle is running like for more than 15min....

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

45 minutes ago, code99 said:

-SNIP-

As said that would be more than enough to power everything including peripherals and networking equipment. That system might draw at most around 400-450W max and basing it on the run-time chart it will give you 5-7 mins of run time to save and shutdown.

https://www.apc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=BX1400U-GR&chartSize=large

Thank you all for your help!

I will purchase that UPS and finally be done with those annoying outages.