Need mid range laptop advice

Go to solution Solved by Derrk,
2 hours ago, Bremykt said:

Mostly CPU, was thinking 1650 for GPU, not up to date on intel laptop CPU's, but I think the 6 core mainstream one will be fine.

I'll second the dell xps. Its a good machine but i don't think it currently goes above a 1050ti. If you can wait later in the year i think there will be more laptops with 1660/1660ti. In the meantime, these are the laptops with a 1660. A lot of them are ryzen 2 based, using the 3750h cpu. It's only 4 cores & not as fast as an i7 so you may want to stick with intel. If you don't plan on gaming at all, my favorite laptops are the x1 carbons from lenovo

Hey,
I'm looking into buying a new laptop for about 1500$. I currently have a 1060/i7 laptop, but I'm not happy with it because it is loud and has very little fan control.

I'm looking for recommendations on laptops/brands that are well built, has good cooling considering its size, < 5kg, has good fan controls (preferably 0-100% speed control), around 13" or 15" size and a good trackpad. Spec doesn't matter that much, most brands has offers that will cover my needs anyway and I can figure it out, I'd like to not have a horrendous screen though.

Side note, I have always had an issue with windows laptops frequently crashing when trying to wake from sleep, is that just a thing windows does on laptops?

Thanks for any responses!

do you want a gaming laptop or just need a strong processor?

17 minutes ago, Derrk said:

do you want a gaming laptop or just need a strong processor?

Mostly CPU, was thinking 1650 for GPU, not up to date on intel laptop CPU's, but I think the 6 core mainstream one will be fine.

1 hour ago, Bremykt said:

Hey,
I'm looking into buying a new laptop for about 1500$. I currently have a 1060/i7 laptop, but I'm not happy with it because it is loud and has very little fan control.

I'm looking for recommendations on laptops/brands that are well built, has good cooling considering its size, < 5kg, has good fan controls (preferably 0-100% speed control), around 13" or 15" size and a good trackpad. Spec doesn't matter that much, most brands has offers that will cover my needs anyway and I can figure it out, I'd like to not have a horrendous screen though.

Side note, I have always had an issue with windows laptops frequently crashing when trying to wake from sleep, is that just a thing windows does on laptops?

Thanks for any responses!

Firstly, the Windows not waking after sleep is on most laptops. It is mostly a driver issue. I've never experienced it in any laptop as I always have all my drivers up to date.

Secondly, we have to be realistic, most thin and light or 15 inch laptops will have their fans ramp up when you're doing something intensive.

I had the Dell XPS 15 3 months back and in my normal usage like watching YouTube, browsing the web, etc. (basically light tasks) I never heard the fans spin but if you fire up a game or an intensive app let's say Adobe Premiere or Photoshop you have to expect that they will spin up, nothing too obnoxious though. I loved its build quality and battery life it was amazing. I ordered it from HIDevolution and chose their thermal upgrade of "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" which is probably why I never had it overheat and didn't hear the fans as much.

Take a look at the different XPS Models here: Dell XPS 15

Get the XPS 15 9570 model though not the previous 9650 unless you want to save on the costs

Also check the MSI P65

Finally, if you don't mind a slightly thicker laptop, then the MSI GT63 Titan beats them all because due to its thickness, it has much better cooling which in turn will result in the fans spinning less.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, Bremykt said:

I'll second the dell xps. Its a good machine but i don't think it currently goes above a 1050ti. If you can wait later in the year i think there will be more laptops with 1660/1660ti. In the meantime, these are the laptops with a 1660. A lot of them are ryzen 2 based, using the 3750h cpu. It's only 4 cores & not as fast as an i7 so you may want to stick with intel. If you don't plan on gaming at all, my favorite laptops are the x1 carbons from lenovo

1 hour ago, Ultra Male said:

Firstly, the Windows not waking after sleep is on most laptops. It is mostly a driver issue. I've never experienced it in any laptop as I always have all my drivers up to date.

Secondly, we have to be realistic, most thin and light or 15 inch laptops will have their fans ramp up when you're doing something intensive.

I had the Dell XPS 15 3 months back and in my normal usage like watching YouTube, browsing the web, etc. (basically light tasks) I never heard the fans spin but if you fire up a game or an intensive app let's say Adobe Premiere or Photoshop you have to expect that they will spin up, nothing too obnoxious though. I loved its build quality and battery life it was amazing. I ordered it from HIDevolution and chose their thermal upgrade of "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" which is probably why I never had it overheat and didn't hear the fans as much.

Take a look at the different XPS Models here: Dell XPS 15

Get the XPS 15 9570 model though not the previous 9650 unless you want to save on the costs

Also check the MSI P65

Finally, if you don't mind a slightly thicker laptop, then the MSI GT63 Titan beats them all because due to its thickness, it has much better cooling which in turn will result in the fans spinning less.

What I'm looking for size-wise is something slimmer than a Titan, but thicker than thin and lights as I care about noise, but I also don't wanna carry > 4kg. I had a G750 before and it was like 4.5kg, it was not easy to use as a laptop. I'm also not too favorable to Dell anymore as they don't offer much fan control, my current is a Dell.

32 minutes ago, Derrk said:

I'll probably wait since I'm selling my current laptop first anyway, the stuff I care about doesn't change that much between generations anyway, build quality, trackpads, sizes etc.

Thanks a lot for you input!