Any user expeirience with newer Asus RTX laptops? Opinions?

Hello all!

I am a desktop PC user/system builder. I run a small project studio where I handle a lot of video and audio recording/editing, and i do some gaming in my downtime. I have been in the market for a solid Laptop that is powerful enough to take my work mobile when needed. Mobile gaming would be a plus as well when hitting the hotels on trips. After having issues with the MSI GS65 STEALTH-006 laptop I purchased earlier this year, I have been in constant research on other models and brands to look into, and I have seen a lot of Asus user that seem happy with their laptops.

So, I am currently waiting for my Asus ROG Trix SCAR II model GL704GW-PS74 to arrive. Here is a link for it:

https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-gray-asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-gl704gw-ps74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235174?Item=N82E16834235174

I am a fan of Asus motherboards and some of their other products I have had hands-on experience with during my system builds. Almost anything Asus branded I have used, I have had no troubles with. I know that laptops can be a totally different beast, however. So, has anyone had any hands-on experience with Asus laptops? Specifically these thinner RTX models? I know there is going to be some heat/throttling going on in any laptop at this size with higher end RTX cards in them, but I can't put in any stock in the online user reviews I have seen, as a lot of them are posted by people who do not very tech savvy (example: complaining about issues that are usually driver based) or they give it 5 stars and saying nothing more than 'Great laptop!"

Two things I plan on doing is upgrading the ram to a dual channel 32gig configuration, as the single 16gb stick of ram will not push the speeds that a dual channel setup will. I also plan on adding a second SSD drive to it for storage to keep everything else off the OS drive. Other then that, I am excited to get my hands on it. Any other users of this series of laptops? What do you think about them? Looking forward to hearing some feedback. Thanks!

GL704 isn't a good model - can't even handle the heat of 2060 well

Also read this:

Spoiler

Generally, however, most ASUS units have a lot of quality control issues or don't last very long in an optimal state, and ASUS support is generally quite incompetent

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Thanks for the reply.

What is it that doesn't make it a good model exactly? And what is the source of the Asus quality control comment? I was hoping for more detailed/hands-on feedback. This isn't much more info then some of the user reviews I have seen.

5 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

And what is the source of the Asus quality control comment?

Users - if you ask others who knows about laptops, they will probably answer the same. Whether or not you want to believe it's up to you, but this is a fact - only applies to their laptops, idk about their desktop parts. If you're lucky you might not have any issues

GL504 is better than GL704 in terms of cooling. Are you open to other options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

I am if there are issues with the model that is coming. I believe I have 30 days to return it to Newegg if I have issues. I watched a youtube review from MobileTechReview about it, and the lady who does the reviews has said that the GL504's thermals are not different from the GL704's thermals.

What other options would you suggest?

4 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

What other options would you suggest?

What's your budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I would say my max budget would be $2000.00 (USD). I could be flexible with that if the right option presents itself, but for the most part that is where I would be. As far as weight and battery life goes, I don't think I have a huge preference with those much. To be honest, I am kind of surprised at what they are putting in laptops these days. I always avoided laptops in general because I have always been a power user on the desktop (my current build is a full tower Threadripper 1950x with 9 hard drives and the RTX 2080ti). I didn't feel any laptop could reach half the potential that I needed to go mobile with anything, so I avoided looking into them. When I had the MSI Stealth earlier this year, I was able to work on video edits with it so when I returned to my desktop, I could finish off renders and what not from saves I did on it.

I expect to have shorter battery life on a laptop that can run heavy tasks like video editing or high-end gaming because of the power that's needed, which again is why I have been looking around because I know heat is always an issue.

Best bang for buck right now IMO would be TongFang GK7CP7S (aka Eluktronics Mech-17, EVOC 17GK7 etc), Clevo PB50EF-G/PB51EF-G (pickup from Microcenter) and PB71EF-G (pickup from Microcenter)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler