heat sink need help

Oakmeal

8700k can get warm so you want to get the best you can fit in your case. What case do you have?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Depends on your desired overclock. I have Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 8700k and its cooling it like a champ. 5Ghz 1.31V and my temps are 65-70c in heavy gaming load (Battlefield 5), and 55-60 on lower loads like Witcher 3, Metro Exodus etc.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I know its a thermaltake but i can't find the specific case my friend gave me the case long ago because i needed one. but i can tell its not one of the newer ones kinda old looking with one window

V3 Black Edition

Max CPU cooler height 160mm

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

1 minute ago, Oakmeal said:

So do i have enough space?

What cooler?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Negative on the NH-D15 the cooler height is 165mm so it's too tall for your case, not sure what the Be quiet one is. Just make sure the cooler you want is under 160mm in height.

13 hours ago, Oakmeal said:

No, it doesn't fit. The DRP4 is too tall at 163mm. 

What ram are you using? Are you aiming to oc?

13 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Negative on the NH-D15 the cooler height is 165mm so it's too tall for your case

The NH-D15 heatsink is 160mm tall. The cooler is 165mm tall with the fans in the default position but they can be mounted lower.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The best air cooler for that 160mm clearance are Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT and Noctua NH-U12A and Scythe Fuma, the NH-U12A is the most expensive, the El Macho is cheaper and performs at the same level as the U12A, Fuma has better value than the others.

I would personally get the El Macho.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: