Capping overall CPU usage

Barnack

Hi,

Since it  can get really hot during summer where my computer is placed (no issues in winter), sometimes i'd prefer to cap hardware usage even if i lose some performance. (For instance, during winter i can play Warthunder with all settings maxed, during summer i've to keep it at ultra low quality)

During normal usage or gaming i don't have shutdown-level temperatures, it sits around 60-70 degrees; the problem is the case is under the desk, closed on 3 sides, and all the heat has to go through… me! and i hate heat ?

I use a program named BES that allows to cap the cpu usage of a specific program when it comes to really heavy processes like a game made in java (starmade) or processing videos. Processing videos normally would 100% my cpu and the computer would shut down for thermal safety (during summer). With BES i cap it at around 50-60% normally.

Now my question is: is there a way to cap processor overall usage % (and secondly gpu but mainly processor) for the entire windows including all running programs? I tried going to power saving advanced options > processor power management > maximum processor state, and setting it to 30%. 

But if i start doing anything that requires cpu it doesn't seem to care about it and the total % cpu usage will go above 30% if it wants to. Processor speed doesn't decrease either. Right now (with power saver mode) i's floating between 3.7 and 4.1 GHz which i'd say is a bit unnecessary to run a web browser with nothing happening except me typing in this page...

Can’t you place it elsewhere where it has more airflow? Maybe point a fan at it

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I tried going to power saving advanced options > processor power management > maximum processor state, and setting it to 30%. 

But if i start doing anything that requires cpu it doesn't seem to care about it and the total % cpu usage will go above 30% if it wants to.

It doesn't cap CPU-usage, it caps CPU-speed. Also, that's exactly the way you should reduce the thermals; you lower the speed at which the CPU runs to make it run cooler, not how much of the CPU-time a process uses -- you've been approaching the problem entirely from the wrong end. To put it in other words: it does not matter if a process uses 100% of the CPU-resources, if the CPU run slower; you'll still get a cooler CPU.

So yes, go into the power-management settings and cap the maximum speed.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

53 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It doesn't cap CPU-usage, it caps CPU-speed. Also, that's exactly the way you should reduce the thermals; you lower the speed at which the CPU runs to make it run cooler, not how much of the CPU-time a process uses -- you've been approaching the problem entirely from the wrong end. To put it in other words: it does not matter if a process uses 100% of the CPU-resources, if the CPU run slower; you'll still get a cooler CPU.

So yes, go into the power-management settings and cap the maximum speed.

Capping cpu usage with BES solves the problem when it's about a single specific program requiring lots of resources.

I did set the maximum processor state to 30% instead of 100% the processor speed values reported by the task manager didn't change.

28 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

What CPU? You could undervolt

AMD FX-9590

I'd prefer to have an in-windows solution (without needing to pass through the bios) since sometimes i don't mind if it reaches 60ish degrees (mainly when i'm not sitting at the desk)

Just to clarify, aside exceptional cases (video editing) temperature is fine for the computer, 45ish degrees with browser opened, 70ish degrees while gaming with 28-30 degrees both inside my house and outside. The problem is that i cant stand sitting in front of that heat bubble.

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Can’t you place it elsewhere where it has more airflow? Maybe point a fan at it

My desk shape sucks.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

the processor speed values reported by the task manager didn't change.

That's a different problem. Try some other program, like e.g. cpu-z to see if it reports the correct change or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

That's a different problem. Try some other program, like e.g. cpu-z to see if it reports the correct change or not.

Checked with OpenHardwareMonitor, cores reach 4716MHz, my CPU is rated for 4.7GHz so i guess the 30% setting is being utterly ignored.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Checked with OpenHardwareMonitor, cores reach 4716MHz, my CPU is rated for 4.7GHz so i guess the 30% setting is being utterly ignored.

Well, I ain't got any FX-processors, so I don't really know why the setting is being ignored. Maybe someone else could chime in.

FX is pretty old (and god damn hot), undervolting can reduce temps but keep performance

3 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

FX is pretty old (and god damn hot), undervolting can reduce temps but keep performance

Yeah well unless you buy me an i9 with a compatible motherboard i'm stuck with that. I'll try undervolting it from bios settings