Need Opinions on 2in1s and the like

Hey guys, 

I'm currently on the lookout for a 2 in 1 laptop. The type that allows me to detach the screen from the keyboard. I prefer if the keyboard accessory is thin and light (something like the surface/thinkpad). I don't have an exact budget as long as I don't break my bank. The purchase doesn't have to be now, but I'm most likely going to buy one for back to school or during the holiday time.

I am going to be using it for note-taking, some drawing, and content consumption. So I would like it to have good tracking with the pen.

Some products I have in mind right now are:

• Microsoft Surface Pro 6
  • Lenovo X1 Tablet
  • iPad (I don't mind iPadOS/iOS but would prefer Windows on a laptop0

I want some opinions on the build quality, responsiveness of the pen, or just thoughts in general. If there are other products out there feel free to post and/or link them!

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 for taking notes in class and that works fairly well. I think it can quite easily keep up with the iPad in that regard.

What I like about it, is that the pen doesn't need any batteries and doesn't need to be charged and yet is quite accurate.

The keyboard that Samsung provides is not that good tho.

If you want a solid keyboard, stick to the X1 or the Surface.

I have a friend who has a chrome book from acer/asus (can't remember which), but its thin, really light, and its got a touch screen. 

I don't know if it has pen support, and you will have to use chrome OS unless you want to use whatever version of Linux can be slapped onto it, I think its something like crutonos or some form of manjaro. 

It was really cheap as well, and he often watches films on it so I guess its ok for content consumption. 

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-chromebook-11-cb311-8h-blue That looks something pretty close to it. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

19 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 for taking notes in class and that works fairly well. I think it can quite easily keep up with the iPad in that regard.

What I like about it, is that the pen doesn't need any batteries and doesn't need to be charged and yet is quite accurate.

The keyboard that Samsung provides is not that good tho.

If you want a solid keyboard, stick to the X1 or the Surface.

I'll definitely look into it, it does look like a solid option. Why would you say the keyboard isn't that good?

13 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

I have a friend who has a chrome book from acer/asus (can't remember which), but its thin, really light, and its got a touch screen. 

I don't know if it has pen support, and you will have to use chrome OS unless you want to use whatever version of Linux can be slapped onto it, I think its something like crutonos or some form of manjaro. 

It was really cheap as well, and he often watches films on it so I guess its ok for content consumption. 

https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-chromebook-11-cb311-8h-blue That looks something pretty close to it. 

Thanks for the input but I'm currently not looking for a traditional laptop but rather a 2 in 1.

4 minutes ago, Lurichaowo said:

I'll definitely look into it, it does look like a solid option. Why would you say the keyboard isn't that good?

The keys don't feel very satisfying to type on and the keyboard is a little too small for my large hands.

Overall it's not a bad keyboard and you can get used to it. It's also quiet which is nice for schoolwork, but if you type a lot you'll want something different.

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The keys don't feel very satisfying to type on and the keyboard is a little too small for my large hands.

Overall it's not a bad keyboard and you can get used to it. It's also quiet which is nice for schoolwork, but if you type a lot you'll want something different.

I see, thanks for the info!

6 hours ago, Lurichaowo said:

2 in 1 laptop

allows me to detach the screen from the keyboard

That is called tablet not 2 in 1

Honestly speaking, only Surface tablets are decent if you need good battery life, however I don't like their anti-consumer behaviour

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

19 hours ago, Lurichaowo said:

Hey guys, 

I'm currently on the lookout for a 2 in 1 laptop. The type that allows me to detach the screen from the keyboard. I prefer if the keyboard accessory is thin and light (something like the surface/thinkpad). I don't have an exact budget as long as I don't break my bank. The purchase doesn't have to be now, but I'm most likely going to buy one for back to school or during the holiday time.

I am going to be using it for note-taking, some drawing, and content consumption. So I would like it to have good tracking with the pen.

Some products I have in mind right now are:

• Microsoft Surface Pro 6
  • Lenovo X1 Tablet
  • iPad (I don't mind iPadOS/iOS but would prefer Windows on a laptop0

I want some opinions on the build quality, responsiveness of the pen, or just thoughts in general. If there are other products out there feel free to post and/or link them!

With the list you have given the two best options are the surface and ipad.

If you are going with the ipad I would recommend the ipad pro 2nd gen. 

The ipad pro is better for drawing.

The surface has higher pixel density than both models of the ipad pro.

The surface pro has better cpu performance if you go with the i7 but don't forget it can be configured to 16gb ram which the ipad has no option for that so hard multitasking on the ipad. The surface still has the advantage of running apps that aren't available fore ipad.

They both use LCDs.

The ipad pro has a 120hz display while the surface pro 6 has a standard 60hz display.

The surface pro 6 has all the ports the ipad pro has and more.

Both version of the ipad are lighter than the surface pro 6.

The surface pro 6 has a standard destop OS if you want something like that.

Ipad OS has been optimized for more desktop day-to-day tasks but is still no there yet.

The ipad pro has the advantage of easy connectivity to other devices in the apple ecosystem.

The surface pro 6 still has better keyboard, mosue support etc. even with the new addition of ipad OS.

The ipad of course has longer battery life.

Those are the things I think you need to know.