Telegram Denies Being Breached in Brazil

Princess Luna

Recently the brazilian Justice Minister Sérgio Moro had his Telegram account breached and classified conversations between him and the Federal Justice Prosecutor Dalton Dallagnol regarding the country's most important federal police investigation "Car Wash" that resulted in the arrest of former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and the impeachment of former President Dilma Rousseff have been leaked.

image.png.56e46f16852dff162bf812c8831beb2d.png

From the main article:

The Brazilian Bar Association and a congressman have called for the suspension of Justice Minister Sergio Moro after reports published by an online magazine appeared to question Moro's impartiality in a case that saw a former leftist president convicted of corruption. The Bar Association also recommended that all the prosecutors involved in the Car Wash scandal probe be disbanded "so that the investigation can run without any suspicions".

The five-year investigation, known as Car Wash, uncovered billions of dollars of political bribery involving politicians and bureaucrats.

The website said it was only beginning to report on an "enormous trove" of leaked messages between Moro and prosecutors on Telegram, an encrypted messaging platform, that it had received from an anonymous source.

-

Telegram has released an official note assuring it's encryption to be unbreakable and blames the Minister's device being compromised with very specific malware or possibly SIM card cloning:

In the 6 years of its existence, Telegram shared 0 bytes of data with third parties. China, Iran and Russia are currently blocking the app because they couldn't access user data.

No ways of undermining Telegram encryption have been discovered, despite heavy scrutiny. Telegram's apps are open source which allows researchers to verify that there are no backdoors.

Remember that in every scenario, your device is the ultimate guardian of your data. No messaging app can protect you against people who have access to your device.

To protect your device from malware, keep your operating system updated to the latest version and never install apps from suspicious sources. It is also advisable to only use official Telegram apps.

-

Should high government figures entrust mainstream methods of communication when addressing extremely sensitive matters on national scale? Leave your comments below [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Luna said:

Should high government figures entrust mainstream methods of communication when addressing extremely sensitive matters on national scale?

Certainly not. They should develop their own entrusted ways. Sure it may cost tax dollars, but in the end it's a small price to pay when you consider breeches and leaks. There's no dollar sign on a peace of mind.

My only problem with Telegram is that I know only 2 people that use it.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

My only problem with Telegram is that I know only 2 people that use it.

Also as far as I know group chats are not encrypted.

7 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

Also as far as I know group chats are not encrypted.

That is correct. But considering I know only 2 people that use it, I don't even have anyone to use it with.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.