Asus ROG Thor vs Corsair hx750i

w33dhit
1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Even his HXi could use his new cables.  He can either buy just a new 24-pin cable, or do what I did:

Isn't that Type 3 cables plugged into a Type 4 PSU? Can the 4 extra pins on Type 4 break off to fit into a Type 3 PSU?

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Isn't that Type 3 cables plugged into a Type 4 PSU? Can the 4 extra pins on Type 4 break off to fit into a Type 3 PSU?

Uhh....

Haha!  Yeah.

But you're right.  It would be a hell of a lot harder.  Probably best if OP just bought a new 24-pin.

@w33dhit

If you're wanting to monitor your PSU, stick with the HXi.  Not only will you probably not be able to see the display on the ROG, it's not very useful even when you CAN see it:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105927-How-to-fail-101-Asus-and-their-THOR-PSU-s-OLED-reports-only-AC-Wattage-and-others

A few other things about the ROG that makes it a no-go for me:

The OLED is made by Futaba. Futaba gives it a 1 year warranty.  Asus gives it a 3-year warranty.  Why?  Because the OLED WILL burn out in 3 years.

The PSU runs hotter than any other Prime based unit.  Asus opted for a Power Logic fan with a HUGE hub, which equates to smaller fan blades, which equates to poorer cooling.

Also, those "pretty" heatsinks actually BLOCK the air from needing to go where it needs to go.  The heatsinks never get hot enough to actual require all that additional space they take up, but they completely DESTROY the air flow inside the PSU.

Asus has a PSU that looks great on paper, but is a complete engineering shit storm in application.  I've had one sitting here taken apart on my desk for about 6 months.  It's still here because I haven't found a good 10 foot pole to not touch it with.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Even his HXi could use his new cables.  He can either buy just a new 24-pin cable, or do what I did:

20190225_110234.thumb.jpg.9020ed43ad93c33f9542241a7a2da00c.jpg

Is that suppose to be like that? I mean its not fancy enough IMO. 

Just now, Oalei said:

Is that suppose to be like that? I mean its not fancy enough IMO. 

No.  I cut the clip off and put a type 3 cable in a type 4 PSU.

43 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  I cut the clip off and put a type 3 cable in a type 4 PSU.

But it worked WTF dude, this is the kind of people we trust to design something lol. 

6 minutes ago, Oalei said:

But it worked WTF dude, this is the kind of people we trust to design something lol. 

Because those last four pins are just +12V sense, +5V sense, +3.3V sense and ground.  They're totally optional.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because those last four pins are just +12V sense, +5V sense, +3.3V sense and ground.  They're totally optional.

This is why people trusted you and You got a job. 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, w33dhit said:

Alright sorry for my bad english and here is my last attempt to ask again.

Updated.

I have ordered asus rog thor 850. Its coming in a few days.

I currently own these cables  " Corsair Premium individually sleeved pro kit ( Type 4 Generation 4 ) "  

Are these corsair cables compatible with asus rog thor 850 ?

I will find out in some days but i want to be sure that using corsair cables wont damage for example my gpu, and other components wich are connected from rog thor with the corsair cables.

Alternatively anyone got some sick case mod cables sites to recommend ? Or other snacks ? Would be bomb !

@w33dhit if you're using the ASUS Thor PSUs you would need to have compatible cables, the ones from Corsair will not be compatible as mentioned previously.

Check here for compatible cables (sleeved), if that interests you. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/products/?filter_models=rog-thor-1200p-850p

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, jonnyGURU said:

A few other things about the ROG that makes it a no-go for me:

The OLED is made by Futaba. Futaba gives it a 1 year warranty.  Asus gives it a 3-year warranty.  Why?  Because the OLED WILL burn out in 3 years.

The PSU runs hotter than any other Prime based unit.  Asus opted for a Power Logic fan with a HUGE hub, which equates to smaller fan blades, which equates to poorer cooling.

Also, those "pretty" heatsinks actually BLOCK the air from needing to go where it needs to go.  The heatsinks never get hot enough to actual require all that additional space they take up, but they completely DESTROY the air flow inside the PSU.

Asus has a PSU that looks great on paper, but is a complete engineering shit storm in application.  I've had one sitting here taken apart on my desk for about 6 months.  It's still here because I haven't found a good 10 foot pole to not touch it with.

Too late for me... (Although I knew about the OLED and RGB - don't care much about them if they die).
But anyway, not that I had much choice, all good PSU are out of stock here (damn miners and Corona!), had to order my from Hungary (the only other they had is CORSAIR AX1600i- waaaay to much overkill and overpriced for me...)

This is the reason I so deplore jonnyGURU being gone and defunct, it was my all source for this kind of info for year's!

I hope it isn't too bad, I wont push it to the max, have fan up and passive mode...

-= Topic Locked =-

Please do not revive in-active topics over a year old.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER