Please Help Me: 5 Monitor Setup

lyons238

Hello,

I really need help figuring out of there is any possible configurations or products that will help me solve my problem.

I have a 2080 TI FE and I need to connect 5 monitors in total, but they don't all need to be working at the same time I just don't want to be unplugging and replugging monitors to switch between my tasks. Here's what I need.

3x 1080p 144hz G SYNC Surround monitors for sim racing (3x DisplayPorts)

+

1x 1440p 144hz G SYNC monitor for gaming (??????????????????)

+

1x 1440p color accurate monitor for photo/video (HDMI or USB-C port)

The 3 sim monitors need the 3x DisplayPorts on my RTX for Surround, the photo/video monitor can use the HDMI or USB-C port, so thats no issue. The problem is my gaming monitor would also need to utilize one of those DisplayPorts to take advantage of 1440p 144hz with G SYNC. Is there any type of 1 in 2 out DisplayPort selector switches that will do what I need since I don't actually need to use the 3 surround monitors and my gaming monitor at the same time. Conversely, is there any type of Daisy Chain setup I could do that will still allow me to get 144hz and G SYNC with 2 monitors connected to a single DP but only using 1 of them at a time?

My last resort options are to sell my triple monitor setup and just use VR OR go SLI but I really don't want to go SLI as that would cost me another $1200 for the 2080 TI FE, plus a new PSU, plus I don't even need SLI for my games so it would literally be spending like $1500 just to avoid unplugging and replugging a monitor.

I hope someone can help me sort this out!

Thank you!

Do they all need to run off of your dGPU?

What CPU do you have? If it's a modern Intel chip, you can run up to 3(iirc) displays from the integrated GPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Seems like you want a KVM switch. Though they get pretty expensive for high bandwidth DP/HDMI versions.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Do they all need to run off of your dGPU?

What CPU do you have? If it's a modern Intel chip, you can run up to 3(iirc) displays from the integrated GPU.

That won't help me since I need 4 monitors with 144hz G SYNC, but I don't need all 4 running at the same time.

Just now, Timotheus2 said:

Seems like you want a KVM switch. Though they get pretty expensive for high bandwidth DP/HDMI versions.

Wouldn't it be a reverse KVM switch since I only want 1 PC and switch monitors. But I can't find any for the life of me.

14 minutes ago, lyons238 said:

Wouldn't it be a reverse KVM switch since I only want 1 PC and switch monitors. But I can't find any for the life of me. 

Right, my bad... I found this "Splitter" after a short search.

Also: this and this

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

5 minutes ago, Timotheus2 said:

Right, my bad... I found this "Splitter" after a short search.

Also: this and this

Those are all HDMI. G SYNC and Surround only works with DisplayPort 1.2 or 1.2a or higher.

I did find DP 1.2 splitters but without switches so it would try to run both monitors at the same time which I believe would cut my bandwidth in half and not run G SYNC.

I appreciate the effort though.

47 minutes ago, Timotheus2 said:

This supports DP 1.2. I could only find it in german online shops, but maybe you can find it somewhere where you live.

wow nice find i was not able to find a damn thing like that! I'll have to see if I can find a reasonable dealer to ship to the US.

i might just try and order that. Can anyone confirm that DP1.2 will work with 1440p @ 144hz or 165hz OC with G SYNC? I believe it should if I'm not mistaken.

So I ordered that DeLock DP 1.2 switch from Groove Land. Hopefully it's here in 1-2 weeks and I'll test it out and report back. This is an odd one as in the US there's literally nothing on the market and that DeLock unit is the only one I found even branching out to European sites. I'm sure there's probably a few more but this is a very hard to find device if anyone else is interested.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

You should just be able to use the USB-C output for the gaming monitor with a DP adapter :P USB-C functionally just a DP output as far as video output is concerned.

GSYNC does not work over the USB-C port - I confirmed this with Nvidia.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

I see, thanks :)

No problem, thank you! I suppose it is an option to not use G SYNC on my gaming monitor but it's a bit of a shame considering I've paid to have that capability. I'm hoping the DeLock device that I ordered will suit my needs and work properly. Would be a really huge help for me and my setup.