Does a Sennheiser DT 990 pro 250ohm work with ps4?

jjjjjjjanon

Hey, first off just want you to know i know little to nothing about audio and that i have only started researching about this recently.

So, i currently have the Razer Thresher Wireless headset and i use it on my ps4. I play mostly Rainbow six siege, and footsteps are extremely important in that game. 

Ive heard from some pro players that open back headphones are better than closed back ones for gaming and footstep detection. And most pro players i see are using the Sennheiser DT 990 pro 250 ohm.

I want to buy this headset as its fairly inexpensive at just under £100, and i want to use it on my ps4.

But, apparently i need an amp to run this bad boy?

I know i can just plug in the jack into the controller and it'll work, but i want its best performance. So... do i need to get an amp? Do amps work on ps4? Can my ps4 run a 250 ohm headset by itself?

Could you please link me any amps which do work, but im on a budget so please try and link me the cheapest ones :)

thank you for your time 

So... do i need to get an amp?

I use my DT 990 on my PC and don't need an amp, on my phone I do have to set it pretty loud.. But I am not someone who listens to music and such at very high volumes, so your mileage may vary.

Even if so, I would still try out the headphones without an amp, before buying one.

Do amps work on ps4?

An amp just takes in 3.5mm and outputs 3.5mm, 'boosting' the signal in the proces.. Because of this, an amp is quite agnostic.

Can my ps4 run a 250 ohm headset by itself?

Yeah, the volume may vary though. It's worth trying out before getting an amp.

By the way, keep in mind the 250 Ohm DT 990 has a braided cable, which is awesome, but it is sort of a heavy cable if you just plug it into the controller and such.

EDIT: wait.. Not braided cable; but more like a 

'telephone' cable, check the picture online.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

I use my DT 990 on my PC and don't need an amp, on my phone I do have to set it pretty loud.. But I am not someone who listens to music and such at very high volumes, so your mileage may vary.

Even if so, I would still try out the headphones without an amp, before buying one.

An amp just takes in 3.5mm and outputs 3.5mm, 'boosting' the signal in the proces.. Because of this, an amp is quite agnostic.

Yeah, the volume may vary though. It's worth trying out before getting an amp.

By the way, keep in mind the 250 Ohm DT 990 has a braided cable, which is awesome, but it is sort of a heavy cable if you just plug it into the controller and such.

EDIT: wait.. Not braided cable; but more like a 

'telephone' cable, check the picture online.

Legend, thank you. So from what i understood, the dt 990 pros 250 ohm do work on ps4 even without an amp, and work to a very high quality of course

and i should try the headset before considering an amp. Thank you much appreciated! Im going to buy the headset later today and when it arrives ill post my results here :)

9 minutes ago, sam.sakha said:

Legend, thank you. So from what i understood, the dt 990 pros 250 ohm do work on ps4 even without an amp, and work to a very high quality of course

and i should try the headset before considering an amp. Thank you much appreciated! Im going to buy the headset later today and when it arrives ill post my results here :)

Alright good to hear :) 

These headphones are super comfortable! But because the open back design do 'leak' some sound.

Also, this was the sort of cable I was talking about:

open-headphones-beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-

P.S. I just noticed your title:

Does a Sennheiser DT 990 pro 250ohm work with ps4?

I assume we're talking about the Beyerdynamic DT 990?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Unlike some people I personally think you need an amp for the 259 ohm like it's essential. You need the power of at least the fx audio dac x6. I never got my 990's full potential until I got my liquid spark which is a $100 amp

On 6/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Minibois said:

Alright good to hear :) 

These headphones are super comfortable! But because the open back design do 'leak' some sound.

Also, this was the sort of cable I was talking about:

open-headphones-beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-

P.S. I just noticed your title:

I assume we're talking about the Beyerdynamic DT 990?

Yea XD all this time i was thinking they are sennheiser, but just found out they are beyerdynamic lol. The more you know ? 

22 hours ago, rice guru said:

Unlike some people I personally think you need an amp for the 259 ohm like it's essential. You need the power of at least the fx audio dac x6. I never got my 990's full potential until I got my liquid spark which is a $100 amp

Thanks, does the dac thing you spoke about work on ps4 tho?

Yes apparently you can connect it through optical or usb.