Is the RX 570 a good choice?

RedEdain

Hi!

I started building my PC a little while ago and, since I bought my new screen, it is not running as good as before.

The thing is I built my system with a very low budget, starting from a 15$ PC that I found on Kijiji.

The current specs of the PC are:

M-Board: Intel DQ35JO (LGA775)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400

GPU: MSI GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3

RAM: Kingston 6GB (3x2) DDR2 

PSU: 300W, probably a HP one

And I found this GPU on Amazon:https://www.amazon.ca/Sapphire-11266-04-20G-Radeon-Backplate-Graphics/dp/B06ZY21842/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=rx+570&qid=1559525729&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It's a Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5.

I'll change my PSU for at least an 80+ one and 450W+.

If it's not a good choice for my system and you have another GPU that might work better, I have a budget of around 200$ CAD.

Thanks a lot! 

RedEdain

Well it's the best value card considering brand new, old Core2Quad? not ideal but I mean it should play e-sports and all 6~ years old games a 60fps most of the time so go for it...

Making it a better buy is only possible by finding cards like... a GTX 970 or so for significantly cheaper than the rx 570... enough to feel it's worth it at least.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, RedEdain said:

If it's not a good choice for my system and you have another GPU that might work better, I have a budget of around 200$ CAD.

570 is the bottom line card for gaming, dont go anything below it.

for nvidia side, it's on par with gtx970/ 1060 3gb. 

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

570 is the bottom line card for gaming, dont go anything below it.

for nvidia side, it's on par with gtx970/ 1060 3gb. 

yes but paired with a q9400 money could be better spent else where, or saved.  If you plan on building a pc in the near future the 570 is a solid option as you could plug that in with a new system.  If you plan on just trying to get the best out of that old system you have, you would probably be better off getting a used gpu that would pair well with the q9400.

20 minutes ago, RedEdain said:

RAM: Kingston 6GB (3x2) DDR2 

also this  is an issue.  get a used kit of 2x4 gb ddr2

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Yeah I had one, but one of my sticks decided to fail :|

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

as OP mentioned it was a $15 pc, i dont think anything non reusable upgrade should be worth upgrading for that gen..

(eg psu/ gpu/ hdd can be easily transferred to future build) 

21 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

as OP mentioned it was a $15 pc, i dont think anything non reusable upgrade should be worth upgrading for that gen..

(eg psu/ gpu/ hdd can be easily transferred to future build) 

I disagree as long as the parts could be found inexpensive.  Getting that system to 8gb running in dual channel would be worth it, again as long as the parts can be found cheap

57 minutes ago, RedEdain said:

Don't forget, good quality comes before wattage and rating. Check out the PSU tier list for reference by clicking the PSU in my signature.

An R9 280 or something might be a good economical choice for you, it would be very affordable and pair well with an old CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad