the eternal delay

"im finally buying the 3900x after 10 years of delaying pc update"

-3900x comes out

"damn i really would like to see the 16 core unreleased cpu performance"

how do i stop this

5 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

how do i stop this

just wait a bit , the next big thing that will never be outmoded ever ever is right around the corner

for real just buy something becuase it never ends

Instead of buying the latest greatest I like to lag 1 gen behind. Allows for all the bugs to be worked out and avoids the situation you're describing while saving myself some money from depreciation. The best of all worlds.

9 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

--SNIP--

how do i stop this

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Instead of buying the latest greatest I like to lag 1 gen behind. Allows for all the bugs to be worked out and avoids the situation you're describing while saving myself some money from depreciation. The best of all worlds.

This. Buy what you need for your daily usage, and stay away from "futureproof, latest, greatest" hardware. Also, try to get over the whole "but if I wait I can buy XYZ instead!" mantra - there will ALWAYS be newer, better hardware around the corner, so may as well as wait forever and never buy anything, right?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

sorry windows 7 but no way im getting nothing but the 3900x at this point

i do video editing and music

one month of global testing should be enough to know if they have some faulty stuff

Just now, Windows95 said:

sorry windows 7 but no way im getting nothing but the 3900x at this point

i do video editing and music

one month of global testing should be enough to know if they have some faulty stuff

If you can leverage 12+ cores you might as well have gone strait for TR which has been available for some time now. Comparatively the 1950X would come with 4 more cores 8 more threads for the same cost and have support for much more RAM all of which would be great for video editing.

One month is nothing. It can take multiple months after a launch to work out most of the major kinks & bugs. Some bugs aren't found until years after (Intel).

40 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you can leverage 12+ cores you might as well have gone strait for TR which has been available for some time now. Comparatively the 1950X would come with 4 more cores 8 more threads for the same cost and have support for much more RAM all of which would be great for video editing.

One month is nothing. It can take multiple months after a launch to work out most of the major kinks & bugs. Some bugs aren't found until years after (Intel).

see above

all reasonable non disaster bugs should be found pretty quick... we have massive nerds all over the world that will test this endlessly right before release

TR consumes too muhc power and too much temperate not worth it.. 105 w seems reasonable for 12 core

6 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

all reasonable non disaster bugs should be found pretty quick... we have massive nerds all over the world that will test this endlessly right before release

TR consumes too muhc power and too much temperate not worth it.. 105 w seems reasonable for 12 core

Ever notice how nothing ever stays V1.0? There's always a V1.1, 1.2, 2.0, etc? It doesn't matter how many smart people test it pre-launch it's not until consumers start using the chips for their unique workloads that the real bugs start showing themselves. The bugs that doesn't affect overall system stability but cause performance to be lower than it should or cause applications to crash or not start at all. That's one of the reasons I listed why I lag a generation behind. Most of that is worked out by the time I upgrade to it.

Fair enough and to each their own I suppose.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Ever notice how nothing ever stays V1.0? There's always a V1.1, 1.2, 2.0, etc? It doesn't matter how many smart people test it pre-launch it's not until consumers start using the chips for their unique workloads that the real bugs start showing themselves. The bugs that doesn't affect overall system stability but cause performance to be lower than it should or cause applications to crash or not start at all. That's one of the reasons I listed why I lag a generation behind. Most of that is worked out by the time I upgrade to it.

Fair enough and to each their own I suppose.

so which example could you give me of bugs found down the lane with CPU's? (other than IME or PSP related, but that doesn't count, we are all NSA bitches here with modern computers anyway)

OK, so you came here asking for advice on how to stop the endless cycle that is new tech & what/when to buy. Multiple people including myself offered you solutions and you've ignored all of them and have insisted on staying in your endless cycle. I can see at this point any counter-argument I make isn't going to progress the conversation, it's just going to further the argument.

Do as you please, I'm here to help people find solutions not endlessly argue why you shouldn't endlessly wait for the next latest greatest thing before you buy.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, Windows7ge said:

OK, so you came here asking for advice on how to stop the endless cycle that is new tech & what/when to buy. Multiple people including myself offered you solutions and you've ignored all of them and have insisted on staying in your endless cycle. I can see at this point any counter-argument I make isn't going to progress the conversation, it's just going to further the argument.

Do as you please, I'm here to help people find solutions not endlessly argue why you shouldn't endlessly wait for the next latest greatest thing before you buy.

im buying the 3900x