CPU stuck on cooler

Technomancer__

my ryzen 2700x is stuck on the prism cooler

I have been soaking it in alcohol, used q-tips soaked in alcohol to get thermal paste off the sides, also tried credit card and floss.like this

should i try a hair dryer to heat it up? 

I have tried for 2.5 hours and it still doesn't budge. i can't get the floss under it

its the paste pre-applied to the prism cooler

before cleaning

before.thumb.jpg.9f8683cd887b86587509051fb0349f60.jpg

after cleaning. i just managed to remove the thermal paste from the sides

after.thumb.jpg.fc057fd18e12a8d65cc0bb6ae20dd36c.jpg

I usually use a credit card to wedge under there ever so slightly, then very very gently turn the CPU around on the cooler until an edge slips off. Once an edge has slipped, the rest is usually pretty easy to get.

In the future, consider powering up your computer and letting it run idle for 5-10 minutes before trying to pull the cooler. That will heat up the thermal paste and soften it up some, making it easier to remove the cooler without removing the CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

I had a similar issue with am3 (also pga) try sliding the cpu off (by holding the pcb of the cpu.

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

then very very gently turn the CPU around on the cooler until an edge slips off.

This usually works for me, just spinning the CPU like you're unscrewing a screw until it slides off. However, if you really have to force it to get it to spin then that might not be a good idea.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 minute ago, Votivee said:

This usually works for me, just spinning the CPU like you're unscrewing a screw until it slides off. However, if you really have to force it to get it to spin then that might not be a good idea.

first thing i tried. tried again still strong

16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I usually use a credit card to wedge under there ever so slightly, then very very gently turn the CPU around on the cooler until an edge slips off. Once an edge has slipped, the rest is usually pretty easy to get.

tried it, also tried floss and q-tips

been soaking it with rubbing 96% alcohol during the process

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

In the future, consider powering up your computer and letting it run idle for 5-10 minutes before trying to pull the cooler. That will heat up the thermal paste and soften it up some, making it easier to remove the cooler without removing the CPU.

it was on the bios for about 30 mins before i started

Well the bios creates very little heat (almost no load on the cpu) The hair dryer may work but I would worry as I don't know if it creates static electricity. if your cpu is really that adhered to the cooler you could try something stronger than a credit card (sheet metal or a small screwdriver.

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

On 5/31/2019 at 1:29 PM, Terabyte_272 said:

Well the bios creates very little heat (almost no load on the cpu) The hair dryer may work but I would worry as I don't know if it creates static electricity. if your cpu is really that adhered to the cooler you could try something stronger than a credit card (sheet metal or a small screwdriver.

None of this is correct. BIOS tends to run 10-15C above idle in my experience. Not like putting it through AIDA64, but definitely warmer than just sitting on the desktop. As long as the computer is on and power is going to the CPU, that's all you need. Most of them idle around human body temperature, and that's more than warm enough to loosen up just about anything between Elmer's glue and liquid metal.

A hair dryer can cause an electrical discharge that will kill the motherboard, so this is definitely not something to do two inches above your VRMs or RAM. With enough distance between you and the motherboard, this is safe to do on CPUs.

Do not, I repeat, do not ever use sheet metal or a screwdriver to remove a CPU. For one, that will scratch up the CPU's surface and void the warranty. Two, it will trash your cooler's baseplate. Copper and aluminum are very soft metals. Screwdrivers and sheet metal are not. They will win the fight, and when they do, they will destroy the cooler. Three...do you really think jamming a screwdriver or a piece of sheet metal under your CPU to pry it loose is in any way a good idea? You're not loosening the CPU. You're creating a very expensive catapult with no warranty.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

17 hours ago, aisle9 said:

A hair dryer can cause an electrical discharge that will kill the motherboard, so this is definitely not something to do two inches above your VRMs or RAM. With enough distance between you and the motherboard, this is safe to do on CPUs.

its stuck on the cooler its, not on the mobo. I already ordered the arcticlean @Ak_An said so if that fails I will try the dryer

On 5/31/2019 at 9:27 PM, Ak_An said:

https://www.amazon.com/ArctiClean-60ml-Kit-30ml/dp/B0007TOR08

This stuff eats though thermal paste maybe you could try it

they didn't work

On 5/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, aisle9 said:

None of this is correct. BIOS tends to run 10-15C above idle in my experience. Not like putting it through AIDA64, but definitely warmer than just sitting on the desktop. As long as the computer is on and power is going to the CPU, that's all you need. Most of them idle around human body temperature, and that's more than warm enough to loosen up just about anything between Elmer's glue and liquid metal.

Do not, I repeat, do not ever use sheet metal or a screwdriver to remove a CPU. For one, that will scratch up the CPU's surface and void the warranty. Two, it will trash your cooler's baseplate. Copper and aluminum are very soft metals. Screwdrivers and sheet metal are not. They will win the fight, and when they do, they will destroy the cooler. Three...do you really think jamming a screwdriver or a piece of sheet metal under your CPU to pry it loose is in any way a good idea? You're not loosening the CPU. You're creating a very expensive catapult with no warranty.

after i tried the arcticlean and failed i tried the hair drier (i pointed it on the heatsink and heated the heatsink only). which also failed. 

idk what else to do

2 hours ago, Technomancer__ said:

they didn't work

after i tried the arcticlean and failed i tried the hair drier (i pointed it on the heatsink and heated the heatsink only). which also failed. 

idk what else to do

What I have heard people in the past do is have the CPU in the socket, run a stresstest for 10 minutes, shut down the PC and immediatly try to take the cooler off. The heat sometimes softens the thermal paste which makes it possible to take off the coolers.

This is somewhat 'dangerous' though, since you can't see the gold triangle anymore.

Tbh, maybe a tool with a bit more force could work, like a screwdriver or metal spudger. You have to be super careful though, as you obviously don't want the CPU too get flung off the cooler.

Although, if you have a plastic spudger I would honestly try just 'digging' into the thermal paste. A plastic spudger will not damage the cooler or CPU, which means you can go pretty deep with it. They are usually sturdier than a creditcard too, meaning you can apply some more pressure too.

Maybe a combination of heat and a creditcard will do the trick.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/