Is my GPU faulty?

lmeneses

(The image is just as an example) Ok, so, I had a recent post discussing streaming and how my PC (specs below) should be able to perform decently while doing so; however, it sucks. The stream is unwatchable, unless I lower the resolution (I stream Apex Legends btw) to 720p and the graphical settings to low. Now, according to OBS, laggy frames in a stream only occur when the GPU is overloaded or faulty, which I kinda figured was the case. My GPU works great; however, when the PC falls asleep and I wake it up, the only video produced on-screen is just a solid color, and I have to restart my PC. Or the screen has "cuts" in it, like I can see the background and open apps and stuff, but there are just a bunch of lines (like the image attached but no where near as bad). Just a few lines here and there. And it only happens when my PC falls asleep. It also cannot reach its core clock of 1405 Mhz without reaching over 85C, and I feel as though it should. Could this be the problem?  Thanks!

upload_2017-4-17_12-11-2.png

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

I'd say there is something wrong with the gpu but it's not hardware related, rather there is something going wrong during the sleep cycle.

I suggest validating OS integrity by opening an admin cmd prompt. Run [8/8.1/10 only] 'DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth', then run 'sfc /scannow'.

Also ddu your gfx driver and reinstall it.

-アパゾ

10 hours ago, APasz said:

Ok, thanks!

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

12 hours ago, lmeneses said:

(The image is just as an example) Ok, so, I had a recent post discussing streaming and how my PC (specs below) should be able to perform decently while doing so; however, it sucks. The stream is unwatchable, unless I lower the resolution (I stream Apex Legends btw) to 720p and the graphical settings to low. Now, according to OBS, laggy frames in a stream only occur when the GPU is overloaded or faulty, which I kinda figured was the case. My GPU works great; however, when the PC falls asleep and I wake it up, the only video produced on-screen is just a solid color, and I have to restart my PC. Or the screen has "cuts" in it, like I can see the background and open apps and stuff, but there are just a bunch of lines (like the image attached but no where near as bad). Just a few lines here and there. And it only happens when my PC falls asleep. It also cannot reach its core clock of 1405 Mhz without reaching over 85C, and I feel as though it should. Could this be the problem?  Thanks!

upload_2017-4-17_12-11-2.png

Could be a sign of the GPU starting to fail, but it is strange that it only happens after sleeping the PC.

I would say reinstall the latest drivers see if that helps. Install latest drivers for your motherboard chipset, etc. as well.

If your laptop has both a dedicated (Nvidia or AMD) and integrated (iGPU on the Intel CPU) graphics cards, it might be having trouble switching between dedicated and integrated graphics during wake-up from sleep or something like that. A driver update or reinstall, or reinstalling windows, might help solve that.

20 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Could be a sign of the GPU starting to fail, but it is strange that it only happens after sleeping the PC.

I would say reinstall the latest drivers see if that helps. Install latest drivers for your motherboard chipset, etc. as well.

If your laptop has both a dedicated (Nvidia or AMD) and integrated (iGPU on the Intel CPU) graphics cards, it might be having trouble switching between dedicated and integrated graphics during wake-up from sleep or something like that. A driver update or reinstall, or reinstalling windows, might help solve that.

I was just using the laptop as an example of what the screen does btw; my pc specs are in my bio or signature (idk what it is called). I just uninstalled and then reinstalled the gpu drives, so hopefully when I test it, it will work! 

53 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

I was just using the laptop as an example of what the screen does btw; my pc specs are in my bio or signature (idk what it is called). I just uninstalled and then reinstalled the gpu drives, so hopefully when I test it, it will work! 

Oh i see. Well never mind the whole gpu switch part then.

Never a good sign to see artifacts / strange colors from a GPU. Usually the sign that it is dying.

Hope a driver update helps!

8 hours ago, maartendc said:

Oh i see. Well never mind the whole gpu switch part then.

Never a good sign to see artifacts / strange colors from a GPU. Usually the sign that it is dying.

Hope a driver update helps!

Ok, so I did rollback on the drives, and that fixed the issue. So, apparently, whatever drive I had installed was faulty