Tech specs questions on ROG STRIX GL702VM

Hello all,

I'm buying this laptop from a friend. He's priced it at $650. It includes the following:

- ASUS ROG STRIX GL702VM

- 17" display with GSync. He doesn't know the refresh rate but I suppose it's 60Hz.

- CPU is Intel Core I7 6700HQ

- GPU is Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

- RAM is 16GB. He doesn't know the speed, but I suppose it's 2133Hz or 2400Hz

- Storage is 1TB HDD 7,200RPM

- It's in good shape, no bumps or scratches

1. What do you think of the price? It fits my budget, so please don't tell me I can get a better one for more money. I just want to know if it's a fair price. Also consider I don't live in the US, so buying one of those in my country would add shipping costs to the price.

2. Can anyone confirm it comes with 60Hz display? Or is it more? Does this display support HDR?

3. Can anyone confirm the RAM speed?

4. Is the 6th gen CPU going to give me a hard time trying to run modern games? I'm not planning on running everything on Ultra, as long as it gives me steady 60FPS. I want to play games like Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, Nier Automata, Assassin't Creed Odyssey, Final Fantasy XV, Mortal Kombat 11, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. I understand most of modern games these days are more GPU dependent than CPU dependent. I was told you can also use some software named gforce experience, or something like that, to tell CPU dependent games to use GPU instead.

5. Is there any known issue with these models? Like overheating, throttling, track pad, keyboard, etc.

6. Please be polite... I'm not a native English speaker, so it's guaranteed that I made some grammar mistakes.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advise you can give me.

28 minutes ago, hard2break said:
  1. Can anyone confirm it comes with 60Hz display? Or is it more? Does this display support HDR?

60Hz non-HDR

28 minutes ago, hard2break said:
  1. Can anyone confirm the RAM speed?

2133MHz

Source: https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-GL702VM/specifications/

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think the price is a steal, 650$ is a really good price for it's specs. 

It also has a 256GB SSD idk if your friend wants to keep it tho. The RAM is in fact 2133Hz

The display refresh rate is 60Hz with G-sync and most likely no HDR

The CPU should be fine, 4 cores 8 threads should be more than enough, you can boost it if you really have to.

The keyboard and mouse pad are great but it's plastic, the cooling is good enough just keep it clean from dust.

The battery is not good since it doesn't change the video output to the onboard Intel HD, but it's expected from gaming laptops in general.

I think you should definitely get this laptop, but make sure it has an SSD and to keep it clean. 

10 minutes ago, Mello said:

I think the price is a steal, 650$ is a really good price for it's specs. 

It also has a 256GB SSD idk if your friend wants to keep it tho. The RAM is in fact 2133Hz

The display refresh rate is 60Hz with G-sync and most likely no HDR

The CPU should be fine, 4 cores 8 threads should be more than enough, you can boost it if you really have to.

The keyboard and mouse pad are great but it's plastic, the cooling is good enough just keep it clean from dust.

The battery is not good since it doesn't change the video output to the onboard Intel HD, but it's expected from gaming laptops in general.

I think you should definitely get this laptop, but make sure it has an SSD and to keep it clean. 

I really appreciate your reply!

Not a bad deal, just need to be aware of the somewhat poor cooling solution.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I own this exact model.

Refresh on the screen is 75hz

I dumped the 1tb spinner HDD for a 1tb Samsung 850pro SSD and upgraded to 24gb RAM.

for cooling you really need to get a good laptop cooling pad and just leave it running if you’re doing any kind of super intensive task like gaming. It’s a great machine but it heats up quick under stress. For casual browsing it would be fine without the extra cooling.

do this one thing and it’s fine all the time though in terms of temps.

Keyboard is amazing and trackpad is pretty good.

its been a very stable and reliable machine for me. Minimal problems. Been my main for a little over 2 years.

11 hours ago, dDave64 said:

I own this exact model.

Refresh on the screen is 75hz

I dumped the 1tb spinner HDD for a 1tb Samsung 850pro SSD and upgraded to 24gb RAM.

for cooling you really need to get a good laptop cooling pad and just leave it running if you’re doing any kind of super intensive task like gaming. It’s a great machine but it heats up quick under stress. For casual browsing it would be fine without the extra cooling.

do this one thing and it’s fine all the time though in terms of temps.

Keyboard is amazing and trackpad is pretty good.

its been a very stable and reliable machine for me. Minimal problems. Been my main for a little over 2 years.

I appreciate your reply! I think I'm now conviced to buy it! :)

11 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Not a bad deal, just need to be aware of the somewhat poor cooling solution.

Thanks! I will look for a good cooler.

1 hour ago, hard2break said:

Thanks! I will look for a good cooler.

Cooling pad doesn't do much unless you go for higher end ones which is expensive. Undervolt, repaste and lift up the back a bit

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Cooling pad doesn't do much unless you go for higher end ones which is expensive. Undervolt, repaste and lift up the back a bit

I never repasted or undervolted.

I get pretty reasonable temps on mine. It’s 10-15C cooler using a proper cooling pad. That’s no joke.

Under load I run it on a $30 cooling pad I found on Amazon. It was really cheap and yet has been working great.

this is a rebranding of the one I have. Been happy with it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Tree-New-Bee-Cooling-15-6/dp/B016PMVM7Q/ref=sxin_4_osp17-7f512e09_cov?ascsubtag=7f512e09-8eda-42e2-8c95-a01f8b67d597&creativeASIN=B016PMVM7Q&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.7f512e09-8eda-42e2-8c95-a01f8b67d597&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=laptop+cooling+pad&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B016PMVM7Q&pd_rd_r=637530a6-3743-4b2f-a072-f3868e227a83&pd_rd_w=QrilW&pd_rd_wg=xiiRG&pf_rd_p=372a0539-72f9-4fd9-896b-c1a93295ea7a&pf_rd_r=0CE14KBAXSA0SR07KFY2&qid=1559241507&s=gateway&tag=digitaltren0b-20

2 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

$30 cooling pad

Repaste+undervolt = <$10

Desktop specs:

Spoiler