IT Job Roles

TheTwist

I am currently at my first job in IT as a Junior Systems Administrator for the past 3 years. My role is keeping the network running defiantly and fixing the odd computer all is Windows Based.  

I am now wanting to find a specialized job role however I am stuck on where to start looking.  I have started to look what lots of other job descriptions say but still not sure.  Anyone able to say what they do which could help.

First question you need to answer, what do you enjoy working on and would want to specialize in?

Do you prefer networking or programming? Do you enjoy the freedom and expansiveness of cloud integration or do you prefer on-site hardware? Do you have a degree or certifications?

Lastly, what have you accomplished over the past 3 years at your current place of employment that would look good on a resume?

Getting a specalized role is a case of have knowledge and experience on the relevant topic, up and above what a 'generic' sys admin role, like yourself currently, is capable of doing. 

I.e., a sys admin can generally administer and maintain a VMWare enviroment. However, a 'Certified VMWare Engineer', will be paid a lot more than the sys admin because they know the ins and outs of esxi for instance, best practices, past experience of certain faults and configs etc. etc. etc. and are there to develop, not administer 

Pick what you enjoy and what you're interest in, look into certification, get as much experience in it as possible, then look for a role around that ?

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I am more into the networking part and the day to day technical help with everyone’s PC’s as I am more hands on.  I have an HND in Computer Systems and Development (UK Based).

I have never experience cloud integration as pretty much everything is on site. I guess more and more companies are moving to the cloud?

There are loads and loads of courses out there. I have been Looking at the CompTIA courses.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, TheTwist said:

I am currently at my first job in IT as a Junior Systems Administrator for the past 3 years. My role is keeping the network running defiantly and fixing the odd computer all is Windows Based.  

I am now wanting to find a specialized job role however I am stuck on where to start looking.  I have started to look what lots of other job descriptions say but still not sure.  Anyone able to say what they do which could help.

No promotion out of a Junior Role in 3 years?

Now on to the specialized areas.... it really depends on your end goal. Do you want to do something you love over all else or do you want to make big bucks. So understanding what is most important to you is number 1.

The next thing you need to do is look at what you have done and figure out what you liked doing most. You can then reference that to average pay in those roles and start moving towards the ones that tick the most boxes.

Now if you are looking at high growth and potential jobs then I would recommend infosec and devops. They are very in demand jobs with big salaries and huge growth still coming.