psu mounting direction

johnyb98

Hi guys.

Suppose we have a case that psu place is bottom. And there is an air hole with a filter in order to mount psu with fan down. But, unfortunately you must mount case straight on the floor, with not even a millimeter space from floor. You cannot mount case on something. So, it is straight floor mounted. In such case, what is your suggestions of psu mounting direction:fan up or down?

Thanks!

If you're putting the case on carpet or flush with the floor, fan up for sure. While best practice is to have as many components sucking in fresh air as possible, the PSU is one of the few where taking in warmer air from the case won't be the end of the world, provided you aren't running it at full load all the time.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

Definitely fan up. If there is a PSU shroud in your case I recommend you remove it or get a different case.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Cases that have a PSU intake vent on the bottom will also have feet that raise the case off the floor.

They would not put an intake on the bottom if the case had nowhere to get airflow.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020