Rx550/560 only use x8?

So browsing the Newegg I saw an MSI rx550 aero and it said it was PCIe x16 uses x8. This peaked my interest as I have a PowerEdge 2900 with a PCIe x8 slot that could use a discrete graphics card. My original plan had been to cut the end of the slot and have the GC hang out the back. But a plastic shroud turned that from simple fix to a PIA.

I didn't want to remove functionality from a card by physically removing those channels but if they aren't electrically connected in the first place, no harm.

So the question is are all rx550s using x8?

Are there better or cheaper cards that are electronically limited to x8 PCIe?

I'm not looking to game on it. Just more Gui than it's designed for. Linux compatibility a plus.

how about a PCIe extension, then leaving the GPU somewhere else

A RX 550 will barely saturate a 4x lane, let alone 16.

11 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

how about a PCIe extension, then leaving the GPU somewhere else

A RX 550 will barely saturate a 4x lane, let alone 16.

I looked at those but that turns mounting it into a task. Though if I use a sff card and hard adapter I'd only need to mod the bracket.

But then sff and money/shipping time for adapter, easy enough to zip off unnecessary channels with rotory tool.

How do I determine channel saturation from specs?

If the board is PCIe 2 does it require more channels for equal bandwidth compared to PCIe 3?

I'm assuming a HD 5770, gtx650 or r7 360 would all be sub x8.

14 minutes ago, aslanshow said:

I looked at those but that turns mounting it into a task. Though if I use a sff card and hard adapter I'd only need to mod the bracket.

But then sff and money/shipping time for adapter, easy enough to zip off unnecessary channels with rotory tool.

How do I determine channel saturation from specs?

If the board is PCIe 2 does it require more channels for equal bandwidth compared to PCIe 3?

I'm assuming a HD 5770, gtx650 or r7 360 would all be sub x8.

PCIe 2.0 is 1/2 of 3. 1080 ti requires 8 max, smaller cards would be fine sub 4 PCIe 3.

The interesting thing is that in many SLI/CFX motherboards, the second slot is already PHYSICALLY an x8 slot:

005.jpg

Running a GPU in a physical x8 slot should not be a problem. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I may be wrong, but I'm sure any GPU will "function" in even a 1x slot, it just won't deal with high bandwidth applications.

2 hours ago, aslanshow said:

So browsing the Newegg I saw an MSI rx550 aero and it said it was PCIe x16 uses x8. This peaked my interest as I have a PowerEdge 2900 with a PCIe x8 slot that could use a discrete graphics card. My original plan had been to cut the end of the slot and have the GC hang out the back. But a plastic shroud turned that from simple fix to a PIA.

I didn't want to remove functionality from a card by physically removing those channels but if they aren't electrically connected in the first place, no harm.

I'm not looking to game on it. Just more Gui than it's designed for. Linux compatibility a plus.

Physically altering graphics cards is not recommended. It's a RIP for your warranty (and your card if you mess up). Yes, there are eBay sellers who will hack up a GT 210 to make it PCIe x1, and that's a terrible idea and something I'd never buy when there are PCIe x1 Quadros and NVS cards out there just as powerful.

An easier alternative (although also not a great idea) would be to Dremel out the back of your x8 slot, assuming it's not already open to allow larger cards to fit. That way you've got an opening big enough for an x16 card, but only using 8 lanes.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

The interesting thing is that in many SLI/CFX motherboards, the second slot is already PHYSICALLY an x8 slot:

005.jpg

Running a GPU in a physical x8 slot should not be a problem. :)

I'd describe that as physically x16 but electronically x8. I had seen that cfx and sli only use x8 on the second card so that makes sense. My slot is only x8 long so I have to cut the card down. Just don't want to remove functionality from potential future use. Looks like I should be fine cutting down any cheap second hand card.

5 minutes ago, aslanshow said:

I'd describe that as physically x16 but electronically x8. I had seen that cfx and sli only use x8 on the second card so that makes sense. My slot is only x8 long so I have to cut the card down. Just don't want to remove functionality from potential future use. Looks like I should be fine cutting down any cheap second hand card.

Yeah physically x16 eletronically x8, also correct. :P I personally wouldn't cut into the card, though... I'd try to maybe alter the end of the port (some are already open at the end) so it can stick out - I'm not sure if it would be very happy if you'd cut down the card.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Physically altering graphics cards is not recommended. It's a RIP for your warranty (and your card if you mess up). Yes, there are eBay sellers who will hack up a GT 210 to make it PCIe x1, and that's a terrible idea and something I'd never buy when there are PCIe x1 Quadros and NVS cards out there just as powerful.

An easier alternative (although also not a great idea) would be to Dremel out the back of your x8 slot, assuming it's not already open to allow larger cards to fit. That way you've got an opening big enough for an x16 card, but only using 8 lanes.

Yeah, modding the slot was my first plan of attack but there's a pesky plastic shroud which needs to be removed to modify. Removing the shroud involves removing a bunch of other pieces ... So not worried about warranty what precautions might I take? I imagine cutting the traces with a knife before picking up the Dremel might be wise. Measure thrice.

4 minutes ago, aslanshow said:

Yeah, modding the slot was my first plan of attack but there's a pesky plastic shroud which needs to be removed to modify. Removing the shroud involves removing a bunch of other pieces ... So not worried about warranty what precautions might I take? I imagine cutting the traces with a knife before picking up the Dremel might be wise. Measure thrice.

I think a picture of the slot might illuminate the situation.

edit: not derp, that was someone else's board. derp

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I think a picture of the slot might illuminate the situation.

edit: not derp, that was someone else's board. derp

Yeah, here it is. I probably should just pull the shroud out and mod the slot. I'm just trying to understand my options.

The PCIe x8 is the first black slot above the white pcix slot. There's 3 more physically x8 but wired x4 PCIe slots above that.

155899470072981520865192820000.jpg

2 minutes ago, aslanshow said:

Yeah, here it is. I probably should just pull the shroud out and mod the slot. I'm just trying to understand my options.

The PCIe x8 is the first black slot above the white pcix slot. There's 3 more physically x8 but wired x4 PCIe slots above that.

If the shroud can be removed, I'd pull it and Dremel the slot. There are a couple of other options. One, the red OEM $60 RX 460s on eBay have a blank back half of their x16 mount, so you could, if you're incredibly precise and careful, cut the card to a physical x8 in theory. Two, there are low-profile OEM cards out there (and some non-OEM cards) that are low-profile and cut to an X8 slot already. I have an OEM Dell GT 730 in use in an HTPC, and I've got a PNY GT 710 that I use as a test card. I've also seen an EVGA GT 720 with the same design. The downside, of course, is that those cards suck, but it is a zero-risk proposition.

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If the shroud can be removed, I'd pull it and Dremel the slot. There are a couple of other options. One, the red OEM $60 RX 460s on eBay have a blank back half of their x16 mount, so you could, if you're incredibly precise and careful, cut the card to a physical x8 in theory. Two, there are low-profile OEM cards out there (and some non-OEM cards) that are low-profile and cut to an X8 slot already. I have an OEM Dell GT 730 in use in an HTPC, and I've got a PNY GT 710 that I use as a test card. I've also seen an EVGA GT 720 with the same design. The downside, of course, is that those cards suck, but it is a zero-risk proposition.

Nice thanks I'll look into the 460s. I got the shroud out so it's Dremel time. 

Still want to cut down a card though, lol.

15589966051071879746201363236685.jpg

5 minutes ago, aslanshow said:

Nice thanks I'll look into the 460s. I got the shroud out so it's Dremel time. 

Still want to cut down a card though, lol.

If you're going to cut down a card, don't risk your mobo. And vice versa, of course.

5 hours ago, aslanshow said:

Well there it is. PCIe x8 slot opened up to accept x16 cards. That double card didn't fit, binding up on the motherboard side of the metal bracket. I don't think I'll use this one though, don't want to route the 6 pin PCIe pwr.

Well that was fun.

15590016075596303241234045325569.jpg

15590017162005236207350445348314.jpg

6 hours ago, aslanshow said:

This peaked my interest as I have a PowerEdge 2900 with a PCIe x8 slot that could use a discrete graphics card. My original plan had been to cut the end of the slot and have the GC hang out the back. But a plastic shroud turned that from simple fix to a PIA.I didn't want to remove functionality from a card by physically removing those channels but if they aren't electrically connected in the first place, no harm.

Simple Solution, though cost money and takes a month or so:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Gen3-0-PCIe-x8-to-PCIe-x16-Graphics-card-extension-cord-Cable-1ft-2ft-Elbow-Design/32830009575.html

And you don't damage anythng.

Yes, limitation of the Chip.

For 2 Reasons:

a) Power Consumption

b) Cost

You don't need that.

You can put an x16 Card into an x1 Slot, though its not recommended as that really affects it,

So that might enable an RX570/8GiB....

So for Linux, 250% go with AMD!

Avoid nVidia.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"