GPU and CPU, are they compatible?

I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU, but I don't know if my CPU is going to bottleneck it or not. I am planning on upgrading to an EVGA GTX 980 sometime soon, but I only have an AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz. Any tips on if I should upgrade my CPU too? If so, what should I go for?

Location? Near a Micro Center by any chance? Budget you might be working with? Anything else that may help us?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I'm in Kansas, I'm probably going to be going for $200-$300 if possible, and the CPU is overclocked. Sorry about not saying that all beforehand, I am relatively new to these forums.

That CPU is going to bottleneck the hell out of that GTX980.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

@LukeSavenije Okay, I'll try that out. I've used a 1070 TI with my current build with slight bottlenecking, so I'm assuming that a 980 will work pretty decent. I'll keep you guys updated whenever I actually buy it though.

1 minute ago, Ghost Bat said:

@LukeSavenije Okay, I'll try that out. I've used a 1070 TI with my current build with slight bottlenecking, so I'm assuming that a 980 will work pretty decent. I'll keep you guys updated whenever I actually buy it though.

well... a 1070 ti is stronger than a 980 ti... so it's less than it

just see what it feels like, and if you want more, ryzen might be the ideal thing for you (don't know about your pricing tho)

@LukeSavenije Ah, I'm planning on getting real into upgrading to Ryzen as soon as I get a stable job. Currently going about moving to College and all that jazz.

It’s hard to make any recommendations right now  because new hardware is going to be announced in the next week or two. If you want to upgrade now I would look at the Ryzen 2600 or i5 9400f. Either of these will require a new motherboard and ram. If you’re going with budget AMD, b450 asrock or MSI motherboards are generally your best bet with 3000mhz +ram.

Just now, Ghost Bat said:

@LukeSavenije Ah, I'm planning on getting real into upgrading to Ryzen as soon as I get a stable job. Currently going about moving to College and all that jazz.

ryzen is pretty cheap, i've seen 2700's going for 200 bucks currently

but yeah, even something like a 2200g, 1200 or 1600 would be a great idea already

just don't get a cheap a320 or something...

Just now, Sorenson said:

b450 asrock or MSI

no gigabyte, asus or biostar?

Yeah, Definitely something I should wait on a job for. Don't wanna lose all my college money.

Anyways, I'm going to play some Darkest Dungeon for a bit. Will gladly accept any help though.

8 minutes ago, Ghost Bat said:

Yeah, Definitely something I should wait on a job for. Don't wanna lose all my college money.

new Ryzen very soon, which means people will sell their current setups on eBay for cheap. Grab a 2600 or something and an affordable motherboard and some DDR4 and you'll have quite the performance increase.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no gigabyte, asus or biostar?

The VRMs on the Asus and gigabyte b450 motherboards run very hot. I have no idea about biostar, I’ve never even seen one of their boards. 

https://youtu.be/EqQcgwz1hYA

Just now, Sorenson said:

The VRMs on the Asus and gigabyte b450 motherboards run very hot. I have no idea about biostar, I’ve never even seen one of their boards. 

https://youtu.be/EqQcgwz1hYA

yeah... but not that hot. and so do some of asus's and msi

so yeah, i'd rather judge per model than per company

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... but not that hot. and so do some of asus's and msi

so yeah, i'd rather judge per model than per company

I mean motherboards now a days only job is power delivery. If they don’t do that as well as competitors that are generally cheaper why consider them? Worse vrms will also probably make it harder to upgrade to newer CPU’s in the future and reduce the life span of the motherboard.

I’m of course speaking generally, You should always look at an individual boards review before purchasing it. 

11 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

if they don’t do that as well as competitors that are generally cheaper why consider them?

because a vendor doesn't make all perfect boards. asrock has some faulty vrm temp readers on the master line, and msi has their issues too

you can never judge on basis of just a company

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because a vendor doesn't make all perfect boards. asrock has some faulty vrm temp readers on the master line, and msi has their issues too

you can never judge on basis of just a company

That’s why I said you should always look at the individual reviews ?. Also, I was only suggesting MSI and as rock for B450. Different chipset boards are a completely different story. 

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

That’s why I said you should always look at the individual reviews ?. Also, I was only suggesting MSI and as rock for B450. Different chipset boards are a completely different story. 

even inside the chipset i'd say you're wrong, but that aside

i have this tho

30 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

even inside the chipset i'd say you're wrong, but that aside

i have this tho

“Tier A High-end gaming (r7oc, Threadripper 1000oc/Threadripper 2000)

Asus: Crosshair VII hero, Crosshair VI hero, x399-Strix, x399-Prime A, X470/X370-Strix

Asrock: Taichi (ultimate)

Biostar: X370GT7

Gigabyte: Aorus gaming 7, x470-Aorus 5, Aorus Ultra, Designare, aorus i

MSI: M7, x470/x399-pro carbon, x399-sli plus, b450-gaming plus itx, b450-Tomahawk, b450-mortar, b450-bazooka plus”

MSI is the only one with B450s in the A tier...

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

MSI is the only one with B450s in the A tier... 

Gigabyte aorus itx:

image.png.14dd76b931b64f9035dbf1b595789bc0.png

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Gigabyte aorus itx:

image.png.14dd76b931b64f9035dbf1b595789bc0.png

It didn’t show up in the list when I looked at it. But I looked up some reviews for that motherboard and here is what one said about the VRMs:

Prime95, and as you can see the CPU levelled out at 80°C and stayed there for the next five minutes, but the VRMs quickly reach some toasty temperatures and a few minutes here eventually sees the motherboard throttle back the CPU.

Now this is a prime95 test granted, but still the VRMs get hot. I don’t know how that motherboard list was created, but I’m going to trust hardware unboxed and gamers nexus on which motherboards are good.

source: 

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboards/gigabyte-b450-i-aorus-pro-wifi-review/8/