Should I upgrade myPC ?

Should I upgrade my current rig to have an i7 8700k and add 16 go of ram ?

considering I have an i5 8600k at the moment and a GTX 1080.

Are you not getting the performance you're looking for?

Considering you don't know if you should upgrade or not, I'd say you're fine.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I have the performance I'm looking for, but I might upgrade my GPU soon, so a new CPU would be a better bet, and I reed that 32 go of RAM is the required minimum for a i7 8700k to work best for me.

2 minutes ago, AlexWarFire said:

I have the performance I'm looking for, but I might upgrade my GPU soon, so a new CPU would be a better bet, and I reed that 32 go of RAM is the required minimum for a i7 8700k to work best for me. 

What are you using the pc for? Gaming? At what resolution and refresh rate?

An 8700k could work perfectly fine on 8GB of memory, it all depends on what you're doing with it.

By the way just make sure to quote when you respond

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

What are you using the pc for? Gaming? At what resolution and refresh rate?

An 8700k could work perfectly fine on 8GB of memory, it all depends on what you're doing with it.

By the way just make sure to quote when you respond

I use it for gaming and streaming and rarely video editting, using a 144hz G-sync 1440p monitor.

1 minute ago, AlexWarFire said:

I use it for gaming and streaming and rarely video editting, using a 144hz G-sync 1440p monitor.

I can maybe see where an 8700k may help you, though the 8600k is a strong chip as it is. If you want to upgrade, consider waiting for Zen 2, as the recent leaks make it looks fairly promising for this type of work.

How much ram do you currently use when you're streaming? I've ran 16GB while streaming or doing photoshop/illustrator work and have never found I needed more.

Graphics card I can see the want to upgrade, though I'd personally wait until next generation. RTX cards and their associated pricetags just aren't worth it for the small increase in performance

Just now, Slottr said:

I can maybe see where an 8700k may help you, though the 8600k is a strong chip as it is. If you want to upgrade, consider waiting for Zen 2, as the recent leaks make it looks fairly promising for this type of work.

How much ram do you currently use when you're streaming? I've ran 16GB while streaming or doing photoshop/illustrator work and have never found I needed more.

Graphics card I can see the want to upgrade, though I'd personally wait until next generation. RTX cards and their associated pricetags just aren't worth it for the small increase in performance

I think I will upgrade my CPU only and not switch to AMD because I would have to change my motherboard too, and finally, should I get the 8700k or 9700k since I am on z370 (I know they work cross platform but am I better with 6 cores 12 threads or 8 cores 8 threads) 

I think I will upgrade my CPU only and not switch to AMD because I would have to change my motherboard too, and finally, should I get the 8700k or 9700k since I am on z370 (I know they work cross platform but am I better with 6 cores 12 threads or 8 cores 8 threads) 

You would be spending the same amount of money either way, I can't imagine AMD would price hike too far from where their current chips are.

The 8700k is still cheaper than the 9700k so I would probably end up getting that, out of those two. Have you looked at a 9900k?

please keep in mind that you are talking about very low gains here

if you would be so kind to follow this link and take note of the figures covering diverent aspects of the chips you will soon notice your in possesion of one of the best cpu's intel delivered in years

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/3937vs3941

Maybe you could start with more memory first?

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You would be spending the same amount of money either way, I can't imagine AMD would price hike too far from where their current chips are.

The 8700k is still cheaper than the 9700k so I would probably end up getting that, out of those two. Have you looked at a 9900k?

So, an i9 9900k should work with my current PC ?

5 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

please keep in mind that you are talking about very low gains here

if you would be so kind to follow this link and take note of the figures covering diverent aspects of the chips you will soon notice your in possesion of one of the best cpu's intel delivered in years

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/3937vs3941

Maybe you could start with more memory first?

Even tho I have a good chip, I admit, I still want to buy a better one, because my 8600k was temporary

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Also, wouldn’t a 9900k bottleneck my GPU ?

4 minutes ago, AlexWarFire said:

So, an i9 9900k should work with my current PC ?

Yes

Also, wouldn’t a 9900k bottleneck my GPU ?

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere, depends what you're doing

Just now, Slottr said:

Yes

But I bet a 9900k is kind of too much bottlenecked by my GPU, for gaming, by my calculation on a bottleneck calculator.

47 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Yes

So, is a 9700k a better option ?

14 hours ago, AlexWarFire said:

But I bet a 9900k is kind of too much bottlenecked by my GPU, for gaming, by my calculation on a bottleneck calculator.

lol the 8600k is the best match for your 1080 ?
but plz .. how do you perceive gaming.... i guess your talking here about atmost 3 -5 fps less with a 8700k and/or a 9900k ( which is the best bet for a 2080Ti )

16 hours ago, AlexWarFire said:

Should I upgrade my current rig to have an i7 8700k and add 16 go of ram ?

considering I have an i5 8600k at the moment and a GTX 1080.

nope,  not really.

you're fine.

I'd wait until next year or the year after that and upgrade then. I don't see the point in doing it now.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"