Desktop for Gaming and Video Editing

Hey Gang

It's tradition that I post on here before ordering my parts. You guys are always super helpful!

I'd like to play a few video games and I do work in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I'm thinking about going with this build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/82GzJ8

PS - I don't need a lot of storage space so I think that 500gb will actually be enough for me. I'm hoping the computer will run fairly silent as well. I was told the Corsair RMx line is good for that.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Desktop.png

The only changes you should do to this build is ditch the GTX 1060 as this is EOL card already and pick a GTX 1660 Ti ~ RTX 2060 instead and if possible I'd highly recommend the i7 8700K instead, you probably don't need 32GB of memory from the start and you can save a shit load of money trying 16GB first and picking an Intel 660p/Crucial MX500 instead for SSD Boot.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd reccommend Scythe Mugen 5 over U9s, the mugen 5 is basically a U14s, but a good bit cheaper. Also 1660 instead of 1060.

9600k no HT... booo...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Simply replace the Evo Plus with Intel 660p/Crucial MX500?

I'll switch out the video card. Linus didnt like those ones originally but its probably still better than an EOL product as you pointed out

Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The only changes you should do to this build is ditch the GTX 1060 as this is EOL card already and pick a GTX 1660 Ti ~ RTX 2060 instead and if possible I'd highly recommend the i7 8700K instead, you probably don't need 32GB of memory from the start and you can save a shit load of money trying 16GB first and picking an Intel 660p/Crucial MX500 instead for SSD Boot.

Wow, yeah. Intel 660p is way cheaper than EVO Plus. Will I be losing performance with that switch?

9 minutes ago, Nalvexxx said:

Wow, yeah. Intel 660p is way cheaper than EVO Plus. Will I be losing performance with that switch?

Nothing worth the price hike if you ask me on the EVO 970 + if you ask me, you'll still have a perfectly capable SSD.

But the reason I'd ease up on the SSD and go with half the memory is so you can replace the 9600K for the better 8700K that makes more sense in every way.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Agree with the GPU change. Did you go to Noctua's site to see if that cooler is recommended for overclocking the i5 9600k? Maybe too small. The Mugen 5 is good. I would keep the 32 GB of RAM for video editing, but you need a matched 32 GB set, not two 16 GB sets- yes it costs more because it's been matched. I would get two SSDs, one for the C drive and a NVMe for working with video files- preferably not less than 480GB each. You should also keep your data on a seperate drive from your programs.

27 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Agree with the GPU change. Did you go to Noctua's site to see if that cooler is recommended for overclocking the i5 9600k? Maybe too small. The Mugen 5 is good. I would keep the 32 GB of RAM for video editing, but you need a matched 32 GB set, not two 16 GB sets- yes it costs more because it's been matched. I would get two SSDs, one for the C drive and a NVMe for working with video files- preferably not less than 480GB each. You should also keep your data on a seperate drive from your programs.

Oh really? I had no idea i need a matched set. Thanks for catching that. So just buy 32gb all in one package basically? and it shouldnt matter if its 2 16s or 4 8s right?

34 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Nothing worth the price hike if you ask me on the EVO 970 + if you ask me, you'll still have a perfectly capable SSD.

But the reason I'd ease up on the SSD and go with half the memory is so you can replace the 9600K for the better 8700K that makes more sense in every way.

is there a motherboard you'd recommend for the 8700k? thanks again

33 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Can I ask another question on this.. someone recommended starting with 16gb and then upgrading to 32gb if it's necessary. How would i do that if i need to "match" 

2 minutes ago, Nalvexxx said:

is there a motherboard you'd recommend for the 8700k? thanks again

If you want ATX standard I wouldn't change anything the Aorus Pro is GREAT.

1 minute ago, Nalvexxx said:

Can I ask another question on this.. someone recommended starting with 16gb and then upgrading to 32gb if it's necessary. How would i do that if i need to "match" 

There is absolutely no problem what so ever on getting two 2x8gb kits separately as long as it's the same "model", worse scenario ever XMP doesn't work with a click and then you just need to fine tune the timings/frequency manually... might sound scary but in reality can be done in a matter of minutes and anyone in this forum will help you out.

Personal Desktop":

55 minutes ago, Nalvexxx said:

Oh really? I had no idea i need a matched set. Thanks for catching that. So just buy 32gb all in one package basically? and it shouldnt matter if its 2 16s or 4 8s right?

You don't need a matched set. You would be fine just going with 2 x 8GB if you wanted 16GB and then adding the same later on. Of course if you need 32GB from the off then you can do either 2 x 16GB or 2 x (2 x 8GB) whichever is cheapest. The board runs dual channel so as long as the two sticks in Channel A are from the same kit and the same for Channel B then it is fine.

1 hour ago, Nalvexxx said:

When you buy a matched set, it has actually been tested and certified to work as a full set. If you buy two sets, Corsair will certify that each set works on its own, but won't certify that that they work together. Princess Luna may be theoretically correct, but is it worth the risk to save a few dollars? Sometimes the RAM you buy is the last of a batch. Are you sure that you can find the exact same RAM in 6 months- probably. What about two years-possibly. Four years- probably not. Sometimes RAM off the same factory line made the same day will not work together. Even the same RAM can be made differently depending on what parts are available at the time. There must be a reason that they test the RAM. That why I say get the RAM you think you will need now. Don't hope that you can match it later.  If you want to be fully certain, choose RAM off of these lists- this RAM has been proven to work in your motherboard and is guaranteed to do so:

2 x16 is theoretically faster than 4 x 8 due to less work for the controller, but its a minor difference even if present.  By leaving some slots open though, it does allow you possibly add more RAM later, but again with the caveats mentioned.

The Aorus Pro is an excellent MB for the 9600K. No need to change that.

By the way, are you in the US?   Oh, I see, Canada!

22 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

When you buy a matched set, it has actually been tested and certified to work as a full set. If you buy two sets, Corsair will certify that each set works on its own, but won't certify that that they work together. Princess Luna may be theoretically correct, but is it worth the risk to save a few dollars? Sometimes the RAM you buy is the last of a batch. Are you sure that you can find the exact same RAM in 6 months- probably. What about two years-possibly. Four years- probably not. Sometimes RAM off the same factory line made the same day will not work together. Even the same RAM can be made differently depending on what parts are available at the time. There must be a reason that they test the RAM. That why I say get the RAM you think you will need now. Don't hope that you can match it later.  If you want to be fully certain, choose RAM off of these lists- this RAM has been proven to work in your motherboard and is guaranteed to do so:

2 x16 is theoretically faster than 4 x 8 due to less work for the controller, but its a minor difference even if present.  By leaving some slots open though, it does allow you possibly add more RAM later, but again with the caveats mentioned.

The Aorus Pro is an excellent MB for the 9600K. No need to change that.

By the way, are you in the US?   Oh, I see, Canada!

He will be perfectly fine buying 2 x 8GB now and then 2 x 8GB in the future if he doesn't need 32GB from the off. The Z390 board runs dual channel so you only need a kit of two for it to work.

42 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

He will be perfectly fine buying 2 x 8GB now and then 2 x 8GB in the future if he doesn't need 32GB from the off. The Z390 board runs dual channel so you only need a kit of two for it to work.

Is that the purpose of Dual Channel? To allow for two different types

6 minutes ago, Nalvexxx said:

Is that the purpose of Dual Channel? To allow for two different types

It just means that you need two sticks in the correct slots to enable it. So your board might have 2 x Grey slots and 2 x Black slots for example. You would put both sticks in either the Grey or Black slots to enable dual channel. If you put one in each coloured slot then you would be running single channel.

I didn't know the exact budget, but here is build for your consideration. The Noctua you chose was a bit small for that CPU. The Intel is for the C-drive. The HP is for working with video files. The Blue is for long term storage. Only put your windows and games on the C-drive. If it gets corrupted, you can reformat it without losing any data. If it's too expensive, let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($338.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($87.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($185.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($98.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($374.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1731.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 18:01 EDT-0400

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu-benchmark-graphics-card-comparison-chart

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-CC-144/Hardware-Recommendations

31 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

I didn't know the exact budget, but here is build for your consideration. The Noctua you chose was a bit small for that CPU. The Intel is for the C-drive. The HP is for working with video files. The Blue is for long term storage. Only put your windows and games on the C-drive. If it gets corrupted, you can reformat it without losing any data. If it's too expensive, let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($338.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($87.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($185.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($98.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($374.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1731.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 18:01 EDT-0400

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu-benchmark-graphics-card-comparison-chart

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-CC-144/Hardware-Recommendations

Awesome, I like the look of that. My question would be about the RAM and why you chose that one. It looks like it's a lot better price for nearly the same performance (3000 vs 3200)... is that why? thanks a lot for putting that together

1 hour ago, Nalvexxx said:

Awesome, I like the look of that. My question would be about the RAM and why you chose that one. It looks like it's a lot better price for nearly the same performance (3000 vs 3200)... is that why? thanks a lot for putting that together

You're very welcome.

Good brand. On sale. Intel doesn't benefit as much (in gaming) from the higher speeds like AMD does. You could go higher, but I was trying to keep the price down. This would be good if you didn't mind spending more:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JBzkcf/gskill-ripjaws-v-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-32gvrb

Looking at the latency, this is 19 while the other is 16. They are really about the same. I would save the money and get the Aegis. It's really a good deal!

I put in a WD 5400 RPM drive, but you may prefer a 7200 RPM drive for a little more.

This is nice, but kind of pricey (on sale though)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=234-000G-000W6&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052419CA&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052419CA-_-EMC-052419-landing-_-DesktopInternalHardDrives-_-234-000G-000W6-S2A2D&ignorebbr=1

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($399.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - H370 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($185.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($633.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill - RNX-AC600PCEv3 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1639.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 22:29 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W