240 watt psu rx 460????

So...I have a system with a i5 3470, 8 gbs ddr3 ram, 1 tb hdd, 500 gb ssd, and I wanted to know if a rx 460 low profile would work with the psu or would it burn thepsu up??

Edited by ComputerNerdDude158
Put in cpu instead of psu

Why would it burn the CPU up? Most likely the system would just shutdown when it exceeds wattage

Also, i'd get a GTX 1650

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Why would it burn the CPU up? Most likely the system would just shutdown when it exceeds wattage

Also, i'd get a GTX 1650

Oops...I meant would it burn the psu out, put in the wrong word lol

A rx460 will consume up to around 100 watts, depending on model, amount of video card ram and other things. In the worst case scenario. you can use Wattman to reduce frequencies a bit and make the card use less power, saving 10-20 watts.

Your i5 3470 along with everything else doesn't consume more than 100w, so you should be within that 240w the power supply can provide..

Just now, mariushm said:

A rx460 will consume up to around 100 watts, depending on model, amount of video card ram and other things. In the worst case scenario. you can use Wattman to reduce frequencies a bit and make the card use less power, saving 10-20 watts.

Your i5 3470 along with everything else doesn't consume more than 100w, so you should be within that 240w the power supply can provide..

Okay awesome! Thanks bro! I may go ahead and buy the gpu, and if it doesn't work with that psu, I can use it in another system! :D

Just now, ComputerNerdDude158 said:

Okay awesome! Thanks bro! I may go ahead and buy the gpu, and if it doesn't work with that psu, I can use it in another system! :D

I'd get a GTX 1650 instead; best GPU for 75W

Yes, a GTX 1650 would be better, but it may also be more expensive.

RX 560 consumes up to around 80-90 watts, GTX 1050 cards are at around 75-80 watts, GTX1060 cards are at 120 watts.

I think a GTX 1050 / 1050ti would give you a bit better performance compared to RX 460 but again it's up to the price.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Yes, a GTX 1650 would be better, but it may also be more expensive.

RX 560 consumes up to around 80-90 watts, GTX 1050 cards are at around 75-80 watts, GTX1060 cards are at 120 watts.

I think a GTX 1050 / 1050ti would give you a bit better performance compared to RX 460 but again it's up to the price.

Well I'm only wanting this to use for mostly gaming for about a year, cause I had a good system, but the mb died so I just want something till I can do a ryzen build with my gtx 1070, and the pc I have now is a sff with a 240 watt psu so I wanted something (other than the gt 1030) to put in it till then

13 minutes ago, ComputerNerdDude158 said:

Well I'm only wanting this to use for mostly gaming for about a year, cause I had a good system, but the mb died so I just want something till I can do a ryzen build with my gtx 1070, and the pc I have now is a sff with a 240 watt psu so I wanted something (other than the gt 1030) to put in it till then

Then I think the 1050 Ti or a 1650 would be a good upgrade

22 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No.  RX 470 used ~100 watts.  RX 460 uses 60-70w.