Should I get an Audio Interface for my ATH-m50x?

Legenderys

I have the Audio Technica ath-m50x for some months and I really like them, but  I have seen a couple of times on the internet that pairing some headphones with an Audio Interface improves the quality of the sound(?) .

My pc is a laptop and I don't think that it has a particularly good audio card.

I am no expert on this topic and obviously that is why I am asking you. I was considering the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen.

If this is not the way to get these headphones sound better, then what is?

I also record some music and I could use that device to connect a guitar and a mic on my pc.  

I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think you'd notice that much of a difference with those.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Those headphones aren't going to benefit much from a DAC/Amp. I'm not a fan of them to begin with, but do understand that some people like them. I will advise you not to spend money trying to get them to sound better though.

5 minutes ago, Legenderys said:

I have the Audio Technica ath-m50x for some months and I really like them, but  I have seen a couple of times on the internet that pairing some headphones with an Audio Interface improves the quality of the sound(?) .

My pc is a laptop and I don't think that it has a particularly good audio card.

I am no expert on this topic and obviously that is why I am asking you. I was considering the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen.

If this is not the way to get these headphones sound better, then what is?

I also record some music and I could use that device to connect a guitar and a mic on my pc.  

Well sound cards don't have a HP amp.  You will need a audio interface like what I have in my signature then you will hear the HP's the way it was meant to be heard.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think you'd notice that much of a difference with those.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Those headphones aren't going to benefit much from a DAC/Amp. I'm not a fan of them to begin with, but do understand that some people like them. I will advise you not to spend money trying to get them to sound better though.

Still doesn't the crappy onboard sound card hold back the potential of the headphones? 

1 minute ago, Legenderys said:

Still doesn't the crappy onboard sound card hold back the potential of the headphones? 

In a worthwhile headphone, yes. You could have interference from system components or just plain not enough power. Could always go better on a DAC, but yeah.... not much will change with the M50X.

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well sound cards don't have a HP amp.  You will need a audio interface like what I have in my signature then you will hear the HP's the way it was meant to be heard.

This is exactly the opinion I said I have seen, but as you can see from the comments above there is a lot of contradiction.

2 minutes ago, Legenderys said:

This is exactly the opinion I said I have seen, but as you can see from the comments above there is a lot of contradiction.

Yes yes, and I tell you its a night and day difference compared to connected to a sound card on onboard audio.  Plus you get to use 1"4 jack for ultimate quality.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Well.... we tried.

The m50x aren't good enough to really benefit from a DAC/amp. With that headphone if it's loud enough your fine

15 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes yes, and I tell you its a night and day difference compared to connected to a sound card on onboard audio.  Plus you get to use 1"4 jack for ultimate quality.

Please do not set someone's expectations so high. You'll end up causing someone to waste money unnecessarily and it is just plain inconsiderate.

3 hours ago, Legenderys said:

Nope. Not a pair like that, at least. Most onboard sound is pretty decent these days. You might get to turn them up a little louder, but as far as the DAC, you're very, very unlikely to notice any kind of difference.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red