IPS vs AHVA panels

cpugeek21

So I chanced upon 2 monitors, one AHVA and the other is IPS. 

AHVA

https://prismplus.sg/collections/gaming-monitors/products/prism-f270i-pro

IPS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/model/UM.HV1SG.P02

They are both gaming grade monitors, with similar refresh rates and resolutions. But, the AHVA is around $150 cheaper than the IPS one. I understand that is a very good deal, but before I pull the trigger, I want to ask what is the difference between IPS and AHVA. This topic isn't commonly asked nor answered online.

Also, I'm a bit of a colour snob. What that means is I don't deal with TN panels. But apparently, AHVA is just another Ning convention for IPS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would rather buy a good panel and use it for years than to regret my decision. With that said, which one should I get?

PS: I should also take the chance to mention that the IPS panel advertises as 100 percent of sRGB spectrum, while the AHVA advertises as 125 percent. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, though. 

6 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

I would rather buy a good panel and use it for years than to regret my decision.

I would go for Acer over whatever brand that was. You will probably get a better quality panel and better support.

But if you truly trust that nobrand then you could also go for that. Maybe i just haven't heard of it and it is a big company.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I would go for Acer over whatever brand that was. You will probably get a better quality panel and better support.

But if you truly trust that nobrand then you could also go for that. Maybe i just haven't heard of it and it is a big company.

Nope, it's not a big company. It's local but they're starting to gain traction where I'm from because of their lower price points.

27 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

So I chanced upon 2 monitors, one AHVA and the other is IPS. 

AHVA

https://prismplus.sg/collections/gaming-monitors/products/prism-f270i-pro

IPS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/model/UM.HV1SG.P02

They are both gaming grade monitors, with similar refresh rates and resolutions. But, the AHVA is around $150 cheaper than the IPS one. I understand that is a very good deal, but before I pull the trigger, I want to ask what is the difference between IPS and AHVA. This topic isn't commonly asked nor answered online.

Also, I'm a bit of a colour snob. What that means is I don't deal with TN panels. But apparently, AHVA is just another Ning convention for IPS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would rather buy a good panel and use it for years than to regret my decision. With that said, which one should I get?

PS: I should also take the chance to mention that the IPS panel advertises as 100 percent of sRGB spectrum, while the AHVA advertises as 125 percent. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, though. 

How can something be 125%? Can’t be more then 100% colours.

go with the IPS panel from Acer

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

20 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

go with the IPS panel from Acer.

Apparently, a quick Google search shows that it is possible. Of course, you can't add new colours to the spectrum but the colours' intensity can be altered.

55 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

That is correct.

27 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

It's 125% of the sRGB standard, which does not include the entire visible spectrum. 

31 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

sRGB can be over 100% for example both of my current monitors (see in signature) are having 125% sRGB and they're amazing. btw sRGB is just a shit standard, if you wanna measure how good monitor color is, use Adobe or NTSC

I also agree to stick with a bigger company like Acer rather than the local one (they maybe good, but I don't know and don't wanna risk)

Now IPS vs AHVA? AHVA is basically a VA , they just put AH (advanced high performance) there to make it sound cool, doesn't make any different (yeah, there's AH-IPS as well, which is just a naming), maybe there're some technology behind it, but I see no different.

IPS beat VA in almost every category except the screen contrast.

so, if money is not a problem, get Acer.

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

That is correct.

It's 125% of the sRGB standard, which does not include the entire visible spectrum. 

Glenwing, which monitor would you get if it were you?

6 minutes ago, Untitled said:

sRGB can be over 100% for example both of my current monitors (see in signature) are having 125% sRGB and they're amazing. btw sRGB is just a shit standard, if you wanna measure how good monitor color is, use Adobe or NTSC

I also agree to stick with a bigger company like Acer rather than the local one (they maybe good, but I don't know and don't wanna risk)

Now IPS vs AHVA? AHVA is basically a VA , they just put AH (advanced high performance) there to make it sound cool, doesn't make any different (yeah, there's AH-IPS as well, which is just a naming), maybe there're some technology behind it, but I see no different.

IPS beat VA in almost every category except the screen contrast.

so, if money is not a problem, get Acer.

I see, thanks!

Always hard to say without good Pro reviews.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

• 1 year later...

To add onto this for future Googlers about Prism+ F270I Pro:

Prism is rather deceptive about certain claims about their panels. One example is that they keep claiming a 3mm bezel for their panels, but there is a HUGE 0.5cm black border around the panels before the actual screen. This has been confirmed by their help desk to not be a defect.

I thought this was pretty dishonest, so please take note of this if this is a dealbreaker for you. Otherwise, the monitor functions as expected so far.

image.png