Do I need a prime lens?

Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

A 17-40mm will usually set you back £400-500. I have also heard good reviews for the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8...

I know I was thinking a straight 28mm prime because I already have the 40mm pancake

I was worried at first but HDEW gave me a 3 year warranty with themselves. Better than Canon offer.

Are they a UK or Ireland based company? Does cost a fair amount to send back a Camera to Hong Kong.

Are they a UK or Ireland based company? Does cost a fair amount to send back a Camera to Hong Kong.

They are a UK based company and they cover the full warranty. No need to send back to Hong Kong.

Nothing to see here - move along.

*facedesk*

It does matter as EF-S mount is the native Canon crop frame camera mount and EF is the native canon full frame mount. The reason the crop frame camera's have the EF mount is because Canon only makes low to low-mid range EF-S lens's, so if you want a nicer lens you have to go EF. It also allows you to plan ahead if you want to at some point you may want to upgrade to a full frame camera you dont have to get all new lens's also. The focal length of both of them is measured in relation to the 35mm film equivalent with their correctly paired sensor. If you did manage to put the crop frame lens yo would run into vignetting and other issues. Also crop frame and full frame refer to the sensor and with a bigger lens width wise. putting a full frame lens on a crop frame camera is not a issue at all as long as you account for it.

I think you are missing the mark completely. I was explaining to you that you were wrong about the crop factor between the EF-S and EF lenses, not telling him to buy an EF-S lens. The lens in question is the Canon 50mm 1.8 is an EF lens. I was telling the OP to use his kit EF-S lens at 50mm to see if his is comfortable shooting at that range because it will be the same focal length. I do not know what gear you own, but I strongly recommend you head down to a camera store and see for yourself that this is true so that next time you won't be confusing people with false information.  

Thanks for all the help guys, didn't expect that much to come from the Photo/Video section. I think I will buy it :D Excited to try it out

Um.... I think I'll have to wait until I build my PC.. that's first priority for savings :3

Sorry that your thread has become a long discussion over focal length buddy, I hope you did not get confused haha. Good luck with the PC build! Will you be doing a build log?

The main thing that I would suggest for OP is that he goes down to his local camera shop which has one of these and testing it out. This lens is great for shooting in low light situations where the use of flash isn't possible and also the use of its wide aperture for narrow depth of field. Trying it out is the best thing when it comes to a new type of lens (new to OP) like this. 

I think you are missing the mark completely. I was explaining to you that you were wrong about the crop factor between the EF-S and EF lenses, not telling him to buy an EF-S lens. The lens in question is the Canon 50mm 1.8 is an EF lens. I was telling the OP to use his kit EF-S lens at 50mm to see if his is comfortable shooting at that range because it will be the same focal length. I do not know what gear you own, but I strongly recommend you head down to a camera store and see for yourself that this is true so that next time you won't be confusing people with false information.

Sorry its technically 1.62x http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

His kit lens at 50mm would be equivalent to a EF lens of ~31mm on his camera. A EF-S lens on ~80mm would be equivalent to a EF lens of 50mm on that camera. This is the third time I have stated this and it will not change it as its simple math.

I have a Canon T3i that I got manufacturer refurbished direct from canon and as stated earlier regularly shoot with the 40mm pancake which is a full frame EF mount lens. On my camera this ends up being equivalent to ~64mm. I also usually have access to other primes, zooms, and telephoto's as long as I plan a head. I do actually know what im talking about, do research, and put a good deal of time into my hobbies. If I didnt know what I was talking about or was unsure I either wouldnt post or would say so.

Sorry that your thread has become a long discussion over focal length buddy, I hope you did not get confused haha. Good luck with the PC build! Will you be doing a build log?

Th only reason I brought it up is though the "nifty fifty" is popular once on a crop frame camera it is no longer the iconic 50mm focal length and is actually a quite long focal length depending on what your shooting.

The main thing that I would suggest for OP is that he goes down to his local camera shop which has one of these and testing it out. This lens is great for shooting in low light situations where the use of flash isn't possible and also the use of its wide aperture for narrow depth of field. Trying it out is the best thing when it comes to a new type of lens (new to OP) like this. 

I would agree I was considering it or the 40mm pancake. I ended up going with the 40mm pancake even though it only goes down to 2.8 because its a smaller lens physically, is a better quality lens, its a bit longer than a 35 but not as long as a 50 which can be too long, and the crop factor makes it only ~64mm not ~80mm. If I had the 50mm I think I would find it hard if not impossible to take full system shots and especially full setup shots with the amount of space I have since I would have to be back that much farther. This is why my next lens might be a 28mm.

He cant do that since the 50 would actually be a 80 since he has a crop frame camera. He could however set the telephoto lens to 80mm if its a crop frame lens.

Here's some 'simple math' for you sir:

80mm x 1.62 = 129.6mm NOT 50mm.

50mm / 1.62 = 30.87mm

Therefore using a 30mm on a crop camera is the equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame, NOT 80mm. And again, OP does not have a full frame DSLR, so all of this doesn't really matter until he buys a 6d or 5D Mark II etc... 

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/11613/is-an-ef-50mm-f-1-4-the-same-as-50mm-with-an-ef-s-lens-on-a-canon-550d

Take a read through that, and maybe you will understand what I'm trying to tell you. A 50mm EF-S and 50mm EF are the same focal length. They both will look the same on a crop camera, and they both  scale by 1.62 crop factor  will look the the same when used on a full frame. This is a very simple concept, I urge you to research this. 

His kit lens at 50mm would be equivalent to a EF lens of ~31mm on his camera. A EF-S lens on ~80mm would be equivalent to a EF lens of 50mm on that camera. This is the third time I have stated this and it will not change it as its simple math.

This only applies between full frame cameras and crop sensors. If you use a 50mm lens on a full frame sensor it is 50mm's on a full frame there is obviously no crop as it is "Full" frame. On a T2i you have a crop sensor of 1.6 . You have to multiply the crop sensor by the focal length which would actually make the 50mm lens on the T2i 80mm.

Another viable option for OP might be to get a FD 50mm for ebay or the like and get a FD to EOS adapter. This will allow him to use any old Canon lenses.

Here's some 'simple math' for you sir:

80mm x 1.62 = 129.6mm NOT 50mm.

50mm / 1.62 = 30.87mm

Therefore using a 30mm on a crop camera is the equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame, NOT 80mm. And again, OP does not have a full frame DSLR, so all of this doesn't really matter until he buys a 6d or 5D Mark II etc... 

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/11613/is-an-ef-50mm-f-1-4-the-same-as-50mm-with-an-ef-s-lens-on-a-canon-550d

Take a read through that, and maybe you will understand what I'm trying to tell you. A 50mm EF-S and 50mm EF are the same focal length. They both will look the same on a crop camera, and they both will scale by 1.62 crop factor when used on a full frame. This is a very simple concept, I urge you to research this.

your math is backwards and you should really read the first answer in your link and links in it as its what I have been saying this whole time and it it explains it in further detail. Please see the post below you as @The pokemon kid is saying exactly what i said initially as it is indeed correct

This only applies between full frame cameras and crop sensors. If you use a 50mm lens on a full frame sensor it is 50mm's on a full frame there is obviously no crop as it is "Full" frame. On a T2i you have a crop sensor of 1.6 . You have to multiply the crop sensor by the focal length which would actually make the 50mm lens on the T2i 80mm.

Another viable option for OP might be to get a FD 50mm for ebay or the like and get a FD to EOS adapter. This will allow him to use any old Canon lenses.

Thanks for posting this. @Myki this is what I have been for like 3+ posts now, its a fairly simple understood thing.

your math is backwards and you should really read the first answer in your link and links in it as its what I have been saying this whole time and it it explains it in further detail. Please see the post below you as @The pokemon kid is saying exactly what i said initially as it is indeed correct

Thanks for posting this. @Myki this is what I have been for like 3+ posts now, its a fairly simple understood thing.

If you actually read carefully, he's actually backing up what I said. 

If you actually read carefully, he's actually backing up what I said.

He is not and non of the links he provides are, you really really to read and not skim.

First thing "It's only useful for comparing lenses across different camera formats — which means different film or sensor size." Which is what we are doing.

First link: Is the kit lens focal length specified for APS-C or FF?

"18-55mm is the focal length, which is independent of sensor size.

Your lens is made for APS-C, so the any field of view measurements are likely for APS-C. It would be the equivalent field of view of a 28.8mm-88mm, which we refer to as 28.8e-88e.

On a full-frame camera, it will vignette."

Third link: Does my crop sensor camera actually turn my lenses into a longer focal length?

"The lens does not actually turn into a different focal length, since that's a real, physical property of the optics that can't be changed without more optics. So from that point of view, the answer is a definitive no.

However, when you get to the question of is it effectively the same in terms of magnification, the answer is "pretty much, given some assumptions.""

I have no idea who I am backing right now, so  lets just get this completely straight using the 50mm lens as an example.

A full frame camera has a sensor which is know as a 1x multiplier sensor. This means that if you put a 50mm lens on a full frame camera the maths that you need to do is: 50mm x 1 = 50mm focal length

A crop sensor camera is where the full frame has been cut down to a smaller size and less of a field of view is captured. This basically means you have to use a greater focal length on a full frame camera to get the same results as the crop camera's image. The crop camera in question (T2i) has a crop factor of 1.6x. The maths is this: 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm focal length.

This means that to get the same results in a photo where the T2i uses a 50mm lens, the full frame camera would have to use a 80mm lens to get an identical field of view.

Full-cropped-2.jpg

Reference: http://www.slrlounge.com/school/cropped-sensor-vs-full-frame-sensor-tips-in-2

Personally I wouldnt buy the 50mm 1.8, I would save for the 1.4. (I had the 1.2L and it was epic)

DSLRs are cheap in comparison to the lenses.  Having said that look into picking up a used lens, you can use them forever if you take good care of them, and they hold their value well.  

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

I have no idea who I am backing right now, so  lets just get this completely straight using the 50mm lens as an example.

A full frame camera has a sensor which is know as a 1x multiplier sensor. This means that if you put a 50mm lens on a full frame camera the maths that you need to do is: 50mm x 1 = 50mm focal length

A crop sensor camera is where the full frame has been cut down to a smaller size and less of a field of view is captured. This basically means you have to use a greater focal length on a full frame camera to get the same results as the crop camera's image. The crop camera in question (T2i) has a crop factor of 1.6x. The maths is this: 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm focal length.

This means that to get the same results in a photo where the T2i uses a 50mm lens, the full frame camera would have to use a 80mm lens to get an identical field of view.

Full-cropped-2.jpg

Reference: http://www.slrlounge.com/school/cropped-sensor-vs-full-frame-sensor-tips-in-2

I told the OP to use his 18-55mm lens (EF-S) at 50mm to see if he would like the focal length of the 50mm Canon prime lens (EF) for his crop camera.

@TheProfosist told him to use his Telephoto at 80mm thinking it's a crop lens. I think he believes EF-S lenses scale and a 80mm EF-S will scale down to look like a 50mm on a full frame which is not true. The point I'm trying to make is an 80mm lens on a full frame will look like 80mm on a full frame whether its a EF or EF-S lens. If you put that 80mm lens on a crop camera, it will look like a 129mm lens on a full frame.

I have no idea who I am backing right now, so lets just get this completely straight using the 50mm lens as an example.A full frame camera has a sensor which is know as a 1x multiplier sensor. This means that if you put a 50mm lens on a full frame camera the maths that you need to do is: 50mm x 1 = 50mm focal lengthA crop sensor camera is where the full frame has been cut down to a smaller size and less of a field of view is captured. This basically means you have to use a greater focal length on a full frame camera to get the same results as the crop camera's image. The crop camera in question (T2i) has a crop factor of 1.6x. The maths is this: 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm focal length.This means that to get the same results in a photo where the T2i uses a 50mm lens, the full frame camera would have to use a 80mm lens to get an identical field of view.Full-cropped-2.jpgReference: http://www.slrlounge.com/school/cropped-sensor-vs-full-frame-sensor-tips-in-2
Yes its just that and doesnt seem to be something Myki understands even though ive tried to explain it different ways and even used exaples in the links hes provided. So thanks for suming it up and providing a example/referance.
Personally I wouldnt buy the 50mm 1.8, I would save for the 1.4. (I had the 1.2L and it was epic)DSLRs are cheap in comparison to the lenses. Having said that look into picking up a used lens, you can use them forever if you take good care of them, and they hold their value well.
Thay really depends on what kind of money the OP has to spend I guess.
I told the OP to use his 18-55mm lens (EF-S) at 50mm to see if he would like the focal length of the 50mm Canon prime lens (EF) for his crop camera.@TheProfosist told him to use his Telephoto at 80mm thinking it's a crop lens. I think he believes EF-S lenses scale and a 80mm EF-S will scale down to look like a 50mm on a full frame which is not true. The point I'm trying to make is an 80mm lens on a full frame will look like 80mm on a full frame whether its a EF or EF-S lens. If you put that 80mm lens on a crop camera, it will look like a 129mm lens on a full frame.
Using a EF-S mount lens @50mm on a T3i will result in a 50mm focal length however using a EF mount lens @ 50mm on a T3i will result in a 80mm focal length equivalent. This is because a T3i/550D is a crop frame camera, thus using the kit lens a 18-55mm EF-S mount lens @ 50mm would not be a correct representation of how the 50mm 1.8 EF lens would look on his T3i. Yes I said the telephoto at 80mm would be equivalent if it was a EF-S mount lens but I said there was a high likelihood that the lens wasnt since there was not a current ef-s mount lens with that focal length on canon's website. I also think you confused youself with that last bit as you contradicted youself a bit. Either way I have not changed my stance the entire time and please read what the pokemon kid wrote above as he did a very good job suming it up and providing a example and reference.

Using a EF-S mount lens @50mm on a T3i will result in a 50mm focal length however using a EF mount lens on a T3i will result in a 80mm focal length equivalent. This is because a T3i/550D is a crop frame camera, thus using the kit lens a 18-55mm EF-S mount lens @ 50mm would not be a correct representation of how the 50mm 1.8 EF lens would look on his T3i. Yes I said the telephoto at 80mm would be equivalent if it was a EF-S mount lens but I said there was a high likelihood that the lens wasnt since there was not a current ef-s mount lens with that focal length on canon's website. I also think you confused youself with that last bit as you contradicted youself a bit. Either way I have not changed my stance the entire time and please read what the pokemon kid wrote above as he did a very good job suming it up and providing a example and reference.

A 50mm EF lens will give the same focal length as a 50mm EF-S lens on a crop sensor. The same applies to if you were able to get both of these lenses onto a full frame camera. They would be identical focal lengths.

The difference is when you have one lens and two camera bodies. If you take the 50mm EF lens and put it on the crop sensor camera, you are actually getting an 80mm focal length. If you were to put it on the full frame sensor you would be getting a 50mm lens. This is because of the crop of the crop sensor camera has. This crop effectively  increases the focal length.

If you took a 50mm EF-S lens and put it onto both camera bodies, you would have a 80mm focal length on the crop sensor camera and a 50mm focal length on the full frame camera ( I know that the EF-S mount wont work on the full frame, just saying hypothetically for this.)

From the link I posted: "For example, a Nikon APS-C crop sensor has a 1.5x multiplier. When a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens is attached to that Nikon DSLR, the focal length is multiplied by 1.5x and effectively acts like a 75mm lens on a full frame DSLR."

@TheProfosist I hope there is no bad blood because the way I've been viewing this thread is an information discussion.

All I'm trying to explain to you is the crop occurs due the a camera and never the lens. A 50mm EF-S lens on a crop camera will look the same as a 50mm EF lens on the same crop camera. Trust me I have an EF-S lens so I know. You have the same hobby as I do in digital photography that's why I've been actively trying to give you the right information.

Please go to a camera store and find a crop camera like the T4i/T5i and set the kit lens to 50mm and take a picture then ask if you can try the 50mm Canon 1.8 prime on the same camera. The image in terms of field of view will be exactly the same discounting any motion blur, bokeh and other factors caused by shutter speed and aperture.

If you then take that same 50mm EF lens and compare it to 80mm on a full frame camera like a 5d MarkIII and again the image in terms of field of view will be exactly the same. Please do this and let me know. 

At the end of the day no hard feelings. Enjoy photography :)

@the pokemon kid

@TheProfosist

I feel like I've been spamming wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much in this thread so I apologise to anyone has been agitated because of this long debate.

But I really want to make LinusTechTips a credible forum whether it's computer tech or photography related, so any type of confusion must be settled once and for all. I was going to do this myself to show you but my internet is currently throttled. Luckily somebody else has tested this out for themselves and here's the proof: Take a look at the picture he posts, and you will see that EF and EF-S lenses look identical when shot at the same focal length using the same camera.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/38899/why-do-canon-ef-and-ef-s-lenses-exhibit-the-same-crop-factor

Furthermore, if the same person in the post I linked wants to replicate this image on a full frame DSLR he would have to use a ~112mm focal length because you need to multiply the crop factor: 70mm x 1.6 = ~112mm.

Wow........ I have a lot to learn about crop frames and full frames... or even in photography in general >.>

@TheProfosist

Furthermore, if the same person in the post I linked wants to replicate this image on a full frame DSLR he would have to use a ~112mm focal length because you need to multiply the crop factor: 70mm x 1.6 = ~112mm.

The only way in which I could replicate this was with my 17-40mm. I used my Canon 5D Mk II and my Canon 50D. The Canon 50D is a 1.6 crop. so to get the same results I did 17mm x 1.6 to get the correct focal length to shoot at on my 5D MK II which was 27.2mm. My 17-40mm has 28mm marked on it so I just used that... 

50D shot at 17mm

12154172383_8d2ec1eaf4_z.jpg
50D shot by Mat Teague, on Flickr

5D MK II shot at about 28mm
12153942165_e940dcdddf_z.jpg
5Dmkii Shot by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Wow........ I have a lot to learn about crop frames and full frames... or even in photography in general >.>

It is all about playing with the camera and getting different results for yourself. The F/1.8 aperture is hugely different to the f/3.5 of the 18-55mm at 18mm. The shallow depth of field is great and you can get some amazing pictures if you combine the shallow depth of field with a close up image (you get Bokeh. Do a quick good of that.)

Relax it's actually less complicated than you think, this thread just makes it seem extremely complicated.

All lenses have the same characteristics on a crop sensor camera compared to a full frame sensor camera. Think of it like a lens being a projector and your sensor as a screen.

FOV- Is the only true difference, your sensor is only picking up the center of the "projection" so that's all you are going to see.

Focal length- Is the same, the background isn't any more compressed on a crop sensor, you just can't see the rest of the image.

DOF- Is actually the same, but again because you are not picking up the entire image it will appear less shallow.

Sharpness and color reproduction- Exactly the same, it's the same "projection", just that a crop sensor won't pick up what a FF sensor would.

Distortion- It is actually the same amount of distortion, it will appear less on a crop sensor, but that is because you cannot see the image edge to edge like you would on a FF sensor.

Distortion is actually one of my biggest gripes when it comes to people recommending lenses. I have seen it so many times people recommending a 50mm lens for people with crop bodies for portraiture because it roughly equates to the same FOV as an 85mm lens. The reason 85mm primes are used in portraiture are because the distortion is fairly negligible, it is in no way comparable to a 50mm on a crop body, the distortion would be reduced but it is still present and therefore nowhere near as suitable.

EF-S lenses just do the 'cropping' in the lens, the characteristics are the same, they just sit further back and may be slightly different in construction to "project" a smaller image as the rest of it would not be needed anyway. The reason this is good is it might save you money compared to a lens that needs to cover a FF sensor. 

Anyways to sum it all up, if I had a FF and a crop camera and took the exact same image in the exact same location with the exact same settings and cropped the FF image in post to the same ratio as the cropped camera, I would have the exact same image, the only thing that would change would be the resolution for obvious reasons.  

A 50mm EF lens will give the same focal length as a 50mm EF-S lens on a crop sensor. The same applies to if you were able to get both of these lenses onto a full frame camera. They would be identical focal lengths.

The difference is when you have one lens and two camera bodies. If you take the 50mm EF lens and put it on the crop sensor camera, you are actually getting an 80mm focal length. If you were to put it on the full frame sensor you would be getting a 50mm lens. This is because of the crop of the crop sensor camera has. This crop effectively  increases the focal length.

If you took a 50mm EF-S lens and put it onto both camera bodies, you would have a 80mm focal length on the crop sensor camera and a 50mm focal length on the full frame camera ( I know that the EF-S mount wont work on the full frame, just saying hypothetically for this.)

From the link I posted: "For example, a Nikon APS-C crop sensor has a 1.5x multiplier. When a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens is attached to that Nikon DSLR, the focal length is multiplied by 1.5x and effectively acts like a 75mm lens on a full frame DSLR."

I red this as i was going to be last night and it finally makes sense. I thought the entire time that @Myki was correcting me on the crop factor and that putting a 50mm EF mount lens on a crop frame camera would cause it to be a 80mm equivalent. This may be because he had the wrong crop factor and at one point was doing the math wrong possibly. After reading your post it seems he was actually trying to correct me on EF and EF-S lens's being different focal lengths even though they are both for example 50mm. I really dont know why I thought this though because I do know that a lens's focal length is the lens's not the lens's camera.

@TheProfosist I hope there is no bad blood because the way I've been viewing this thread is an information discussion.

All I'm trying to explain to you is the crop occurs due the a camera and never the lens. A 50mm EF-S lens on a crop camera will look the same as a 50mm EF lens on the same crop camera. Trust me I have an EF-S lens so I know. You have the same hobby as I do in digital photography that's why I've been actively trying to give you the right information.

Please go to a camera store and find a crop camera like the T4i/T5i and set the kit lens to 50mm and take a picture then ask if you can try the 50mm Canon 1.8 prime on the same camera. The image in terms of field of view will be exactly the same discounting any motion blur, bokeh and other factors caused by shutter speed and aperture.

If you then take that same 50mm EF lens and compare it to 80mm on a full frame camera like a 5d MarkIII and again the image in terms of field of view will be exactly the same. Please do this and let me know. 

At the end of the day no hard feelings. Enjoy photography :)

Nope no bad blood as i also took it as that and was surprisingly one of the first times I could have something like that on this forum. This is likely because I was wrong for once and I seems now that I was confused one what we were discussing.

I can actually try that as I have a 40mm EF prime on my camera and that poopy kit lens somewhere around here.

Not really I kinda just grabbed a good all around prime lens for what I had planned on shooting and started playing with the camera as @The pokemon kid said. I knew a bit about ISO, aperture, and exposure from my canon point and shoot's manual mode. No I usually know what aperture I want and a good deal of the time what ISO but working out exposure without a few shots is proving hard. This may lily be because I am usually shooting in lowish light by hand as a tripod would really get in the way usually. I am wishing now that I went with a ball head instead of the pan head but I can always buy the ball head and swap it out and then would still have the pan head for video. My suggestion would be to start shooting in AP mode as it does exposure but you control aperture and ISO.

The only way in which I could replicate this was with my 17-40mm. I used my Canon 5D Mk II and my Canon 50D. The Canon 50D is a 1.6 crop. so to get the same results I did 17mm x 1.6 to get the correct focal length to shoot at on my 5D MK II which was 27.2mm. My 17-40mm has 28mm marked on it so I just used that... 

50D shot at 17mm

12154172383_8d2ec1eaf4_z.jpg

50D shot by Mat Teague, on Flickr

5D MK II shot at about 28mm

12153942165_e940dcdddf_z.jpg

5Dmkii Shot by Mat Teague, on Flickr

It is all about playing with the camera and getting different results for yourself. The F/1.8 aperture is hugely different to the f/3.5 of the 18-55mm at 18mm. The shallow depth of field is great and you can get some amazing pictures if you combine the shallow depth of field with a close up image (you get Bokeh. Do a quick good of that.)

Cool now I dont even have to do the comparison thing with my camera even though it would be a bit different, a EF-S and a EF mount lens on the same camera. Fort some reason I thought the 50, 60, and 70D were full frame 9dont ask me why) but that means the lowest full frame canon is the 6D and that really needs refresh. I dont plan on going full frame anytime soon, its just something to keep in mind.

My suggestion would be to start shooting in AP mode as it does exposure but you control aperture and ISO.

I'm assuming you meant Av mode, and I already use it =) only when I need a greater DOF though.

I'm assuming you meant Av mode, and I already use it =) only when I need a greater DOF though.

umm yes I guess thats what its called on a canon... I called it AP because of Aperture Priority which is what it is I really dont know why they call it Av. I really suggest you stick with that and if you have consistent lighting start venturing into full manual as your ISO and aperture are more of a choice than your exposure. I personally still have trouble getting the right exposure especially in non consistent lighting.

Cool now I dont even have to do the comparison thing with my camera even though it would be a bit different, a EF-S and a EF mount lens on the same camera. Fort some reason I thought the 50, 60, and 70D were full frame dont ask me why) but that means the lowest full frame canon is the 6D and that really needs refresh. I dont plan on going full frame anytime soon, its just something to keep in mind.

Av standards for Aperture Value and it just allows you to set the "Aperture Value" and let the camera work out the rest.

Na, the 50D,60D 70D and 7D plus a few of the 1D's are crop sensor cameras. the 6D is their entry level full frame camera. All be it, you can probably get a 5D MK I for a lot cheaper, however the 6D in some cases can be very comparable to the 5D MK II/III.

I have had many different cameras over the years. I started with the 1000D -> 550D -> 50D -> 7D -> 5D MK II and soon possibly to be a 5D MK III (or a 50mm 1.2... Cant decided)