Do I need a prime lens?

Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

A 17-40mm will usually set you back £400-500. I have also heard good reviews for the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8...

I know I was thinking a straight 28mm prime because I already have the 40mm pancake

Someone please kill this thread, it's giving me a headache.

I think there a couple of people here going around in circles.  :rolleyes:

Nothing to see here - move along.

Someone please kill this thread, it's giving me a headache.

I think there a couple of people here going around in circles.  :rolleyes:

I think we concluded that yesterday night or this morning for me...

Av standards for Aperture Value and it just allows you to set the "Aperture Value" and let the camera work out the rest.

Na, the 50D,60D 70D and 7D plus a few of the 1D's are crop sensor cameras. the 6D is their entry level full frame camera. All be it, you can probably get a 5D MK I for a lot cheaper, however the 6D in some cases can be very comparable to the 5D MK II/III.

I have had many different cameras over the years. I started with the 1000D -> 550D -> 50D -> 7D -> 5D MK II and soon possibly to be a 5D MK III (or a 50mm 1.2... Cant decided)

My T3i says Aperture priority AE when you go to Av mode

Wow I would have probably skipped the 1000D, 50D, and 7D in your list maybe swap the 55D for the 50D but yea trying to avoid that. Bought my 600D plan to get some lenses over time then eventually a full frame DSLR at some point hopefully 6D mk II by then or something.

My T3i says Aperture priority AE when you go to Av mode

Wow I would have probably skipped the 1000D, 50D, and 7D in your list maybe swap the 55D for the 50D but yea trying to avoid that. Bought my 600D plan to get some lenses over time then eventually a full frame DSLR at some point hopefully 6D mk II by then or something.

The 1000D was my first camera, was great for learning the ropes whilst not spending a lot on it. The 7D was also a good step because I was taking on more video work at the time and it allowed me to do super slow mo shots. I got the 550D and had it for about 2-3 months before having to send it back for RMA, it was a grey import so it cost me a fortune to send it back and I bought a 50D whilst I was waiting. Still got the 50D saying that, always been a good backup camera.

Would definitely suggest to buy decent quality glass when you can. It is worth saving up a little longer to get the higher grade lenses because you can really see the difference. When I was learning I bought the cheaper lenses such as the 70-300 and the 50mm 1.8. But after that I bought some shitty lenses which I thought would be awesome and ended up sucking ass i.e the Canon 18-200mm which for me really sucked big ass balls! I then saved up and got lucky with buying a 17-40mm and have been shooting through it for four years now!

The 1000D was my first camera, was great for learning the ropes whilst not spending a lot on it. The 7D was also a good step because I was taking on more video work at the time and it allowed me to do super slow mo shots. I got the 550D and had it for about 2-3 months before having to send it back for RMA, it was a grey import so it cost me a fortune to send it back and I bought a 50D whilst I was waiting. Still got the 50D saying that, always been a good backup camera.

Would definitely suggest to buy decent quality glass when you can. It is worth saving up a little longer to get the higher grade lenses because you can really see the difference. When I was learning I bought the cheaper lenses such as the 70-300 and the 50mm 1.8. But after that I bought some shitty lenses which I thought would be awesome and ended up sucking ass i.e the Canon 18-200mm which for me really sucked big ass balls! I then saved up and got lucky with buying a 17-40mm and have been shooting through it for four years now!

I think im looking at maybe something in the ~28mm area for stuff around here, shots of tech and what not but one of those doesnt come cheap, and im not even looking at L lens's.

I think im looking at maybe something in the ~28mm area for stuff around here, shots of tech and what not but one of those doesnt come cheap, and im not even looking at L lens's.

A 17-40mm will usually set you back £400-500. I have also heard good reviews for the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8...

I know I was thinking a straight 28mm prime because I already have the 40mm pancake