Do I need a prime lens?

Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

A 17-40mm will usually set you back £400-500. I have also heard good reviews for the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8...

I know I was thinking a straight 28mm prime because I already have the 40mm pancake

Hey all, I've been getting into photography lately, and I've heard about these so-called Prime lenses and how they're very sharp. I'm wondering if it's worth the price (for your uses, anyways) in your opinion.

The Prime lens I'm currently looking at is: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii-lens/10082166.aspx?path=410b5e08a0156af5187cd3f0d2196165en02〈=en-CA&pcname=&sku=10082166&ActiveTab=Tab_custReview

I'm currently using a Canon T3 with a 18-55mm EF lens and a 75-300 Telephoto lens. Would spending the extra $100 really benefit me with clearer and sharper images? I have noticed that the default lens isn't the greatest in quality.....

I'm not exactly sure what kinds of photography I'll be getting into, but I want a good all-around. Thanks :)

love that lens, extremely sharp and great shallow depth of field. I don't shoot video, but for still photography it is magical. best lens for the money, hands down. I have a similar collection of lenses and will use the 50mm f/1.8, 9 times out of 10.

Hey all, I've been getting into photography lately, and I've heard about these so-called Prime lenses and how they're very sharp. I'm wondering if it's worth the price (for your uses, anyways) in your opinion.

The Prime lens I'm currently looking at is: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii-lens/10082166.aspx?path=410b5e08a0156af5187cd3f0d2196165en02〈=en-CA&pcname=&sku=10082166&ActiveTab=Tab_custReview

I'm currently using a Canon T3 with a 18-55mm EF lens and a 75-300 Telephoto lens. Would spending the extra $100 really benefit me with clearer and sharper images? I have noticed that the default lens isn't the greatest in quality.....

I'm not exactly sure what kinds of photography I'll be getting into, but I want a good all-around. Thanks :)

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

The simple answer is no. You do "need" a prime lens.

Also the lens you mentioned is plastic, it rattles and hunts to focus and is noisy.

BUT

With that lens you will amaze yourself with the shots you will take. Full open at f 1.8 the background just melts away.

When I got mine I really didn't like it. It took me a few weeks to learn how to get the best out of it and now it rarely leaves my T5i.

A quick example below.

2ikzcb4.jpg

Buy this lens today.

If you don't I will come round and slap you with a wet fish.

Nothing to see here - move along.

So you have a kit lens and a zoom telephoto? I would go with the 40mm pancake or even a 35mm possibly even a 28mm (im looking for one at the moments). The thing you have to remember when getting EF mont lenes is that they are for full fram and you have a crop frame camera so you havw to multiply the focal length by 1.6 for canon cameras. Both 35mm and 50mm are common focal lengths for a prime lens but the 50, which BTW is super cheaply build and your far better off spendong more on a better lens, is actually going to be 80mm focal length. It really depends on what your going to be taking pics of but for electronics, pc hardware, and the like even my 40mm can be a bit much which is why im looking for a 28mm.

I appologize ahead of time I just noticed how horribly that is typed I am on my phone and that post is actually quite lengthly so if possible please excuse me.

The best thing about prime lenses is the ability to let in more light due to the wider aperture which gives you more freedom to bump up your shutter speed and/or lower you ISO to get a more sharp and clean image. This is especially true in low light situations. I suggest you use your 18-55mm kit lens at 50mm and see whether you are comfortable with the focal length. It's a killer lens for the price, and if you don't like it you can sell it quite easily.

The best thing about prime lenses is the ability to let in more light due to the wider aperture which gives you more freedom to bump up your shutter speed and/or lower you ISO to get a more sharp and clean image. This is especially true in low light situations. I suggest you use your 18-55mm kit lens at 50mm and see whether you are comfortable with the focal length. It's a killer lens for the price, and if you don't like it you can sell it quite easily.

He cant do that since the 50 would actually be a 80 since he has a crop frame camera. He could however set the telephoto lens to 80mm if its a crop frame lens.

He cant do that since the 50 would actually be a 80 since he has a crop frame camera. He could however set the telephoto lens to 80mm if its a crop frame lens.

I'm aware of the crop factor, but the 50mm setting on his kit lens is the same focal length as the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens he is considering in buying.

Yes the focal length is 80mm equivalent on a full frame camera, but that's irrelevant because:

1) He doesnt have a full frame DSLR

2) His lenses already cover a decent range, therefore he can just play with the focal lengths and find out whether a particular fixed prime lens would suit him.

Actually to get a 50mm focal length on a full frame he would have to set the 18-55mm kit lens to around 30mm. Setting the telephoto lens to 80mm will give a focal length of 128mm on a full frame.

Have you bought it yet ?

Do I ready my slapping fish ?

I'm aware of the crop factor, but the 50mm setting on his kit lens is the same focal length as the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens he is considering in buying.

Yes the focal length is 80mm on a full frame camera, but that's irrelevant because:

1) He doesnt have a full frame DSLR

2) His lenses already cover a decent range, therefore he can just play with the focal lengths and find out whether a particular fixed prime lens would suit him.

Actually to get a 50mm focal length on a full frame he would have to set the 18-55mm kit lens to around 30mm. Setting the telephoto lens to 80mm will give a focal length of 128mm on a full frame.

The 50mm hes looking at is a EF mount meaning its a full frame lens, so on a crop frame camera it would be equivalent to a 80mm lens. His current kit lens is a EF-S mount which mean it is a crop frame lens so there is no conversion needed so the 18-55mm is indeed 18-55mm. I assume the zoom telephoto is also EF-S mount but there is a very good chance it isnt since there are no current EF-S mount lens's on canon's website that are 75-300, so a 1.6 multiplier would apply to that lens if it is indeed a EF not a EF-S mount.

The 50mm hes looking at is a EF mount meaning its a full frame lens, so on a crop frame camera it would be equivalent to a 80mm lens. His current kit lens is a EF-S mount which mean it is a crop frame lens so there is no conversion needed so the 18-55mm is indeed 18-55mm. I assume the zoom telephoto is also EF-S mount but there is a very good chance it isnt since there are no current EF-S mount lens's on canon's website that are 75-300, so a 1.6 multiplier would apply to that lens if it is indeed a EF not a EF-S mount.

Trust me, the difference between EF and EF-S is how it mounts to the camera body, it does not alter the focal length in any way. A 50mm lens is a 50mm whether its EF-S or EF, it does not matter. No point overcomplicating things. 

Trust me, the difference between EF and EF-S is how it mounts to the camera body, it does not alter the focal length in any way. A 50mm lens is a 50mm whether its EF-S or EF, it does not matter. No point overcomplicating things.

*facedesk*

It does matter as EF-S mount is the native Canon crop frame camera mount and EF is the native canon full frame mount. The reason the crop frame camera's have the EF mount is because Canon only makes low to low-mid range EF-S lens's, so if you want a nicer lens you have to go EF. It also allows you to plan ahead if you want to at some point you may want to upgrade to a full frame camera you dont have to get all new lens's also. The focal length of both of them is measured in relation to the 35mm film equivalent with their correctly paired sensor. If you did manage to put the crop frame lens yo would run into vignetting and other issues. Also crop frame and full frame refer to the sensor and with a bigger lens width wise. putting a full frame lens on a crop frame camera is not a issue at all as long as you account for it.

EF lenses are mainly the older mount on the Canon digital camera range. They work on all the Canon digital cameras as far as I know and they also work on some of canons film cameras. The EF-S mounting system is for crop sensor cameras. I know this because I sold all my EF-S lenses when I moved from my 7D to my 5D MK II.

Coming back to primes, when I first started I had the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm lenses. I bought the fantastic plastic (50mm) prime. Great lens which set me back about £60. The build quality of the lens wasn't anything to shout about but the aperture was great! The ability to get such intermate shots was amazing! Plus it opened the doors for low light shooting for me. Now a days I mainly shoot through prime lenses. The prime lenses I found allowed me to understand aperture and play with it so I could get some good results. Up until that point I was pointing and clicking.

Thanks for all the help guys, didn't expect that much to come from the Photo/Video section. I think I will buy it :D Excited to try it out

Have you bought it yet ?

Do I ready my slapping fish ?

Um.... I think I'll have to wait until I build my PC.. that's first priority for savings :3

K,fuck the monitors.I'm getting a DSLR.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

EF lenses are mainly the older mount on the Canon digital camera range. They work on all the Canon digital cameras as far as I know and they also work on some of canons film cameras. The EF-S mounting system is for crop sensor cameras. I know this because I sold all my EF-S lenses when I moved from my 7D to my 5D MK II.

Coming back to primes, when I first started I had the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm lenses. I bought the fantastic plastic (50mm) prime. Great lens which set me back about £60. The build quality of the lens wasn't anything to shout about but the aperture was great! The ability to get such intermate shots was amazing! Plus it opened the doors for low light shooting for me. Now a days I mainly shoot through prime lenses. The prime lenses I found allowed me to understand aperture and play with it so I could get some good results. Up until that point I was pointing and clicking.

it is a older mount but its the full frame mount.

K,fuck the monitors.I'm getting a DSLR.

I have a friend who bought a new DSLR instead of upgrading his pc.  That's where the problems started.

Once he was taking photos he quickly realised his current rig was to slow to use Lightroom and Photoshop quickly enough.  So more money spent.

Then he realised his monitor was shit.  So more money spent.

Then he realised it is so much easier to work with two screens.  So more money spent.

So buying a new camera caused him to upgrade everything.

I have a friend who bought a new DSLR instead of upgrading his pc.  That's where the problems started.

Once he was taking photos he quickly realised his current rig was to slow to use Lightroom and Photoshop quickly enough.  So more money spent.

Then he realised it is so much easier to work with two screens.  So more money spent.

Lol though I shouldnt be talking because I have a nice PC and really dont edit any of my pics because really it not my main hobby and well so far I just like taking pics I have gotten into or really tired editing no time really.

it is a older mount but its the full frame mount.

Yep. The S on EF-S stands for "short back focus". This means that the lens sits further inside the camera. This type of lens wouldn't work for a full frame camera as the mirror is larger and would hit part of the lens when using certain focus distances.

Well,I want 1440p to become cheaper till I'll buy a monitor.

A Canon 650D + 50mm primes would cost me $750.And that's with a $300 discount on the Canon. :o

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well,I want 1440p to become cheaper till I'll buy a monitor.

A Canon 650D + 50mm primes would cost me $750.And that's with a $300 discount on the Canon. :o

Ouch, could you not get a grey import 700D cheaper.

I used http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/  In ireland the 700D was almost €1000 but I paid £500 from them.

I used http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/  In ireland the 700D was almost €1000 but I paid £500 from them.

I can get it for only $10 cheaper there.Not worth it.But that's probably because of the killer $300 deal off the 650D.Don't know how much that will last :o

I definitely dont back grey imports. My 550D when I had it, was a grey import. the thing died and I ended up having to send it back to Hong Kong to sort the warranty out. Canon UK would just not take it...

I definitely dont back grey imports. My 550D when I had it, was a grey import. the thing died and I ended up having to send it back to Hong Kong to sort the warranty out. Canon UK would just not take it...

I was worried at first but HDEW gave me a 3 year warranty with themselves. Better than Canon offer.