Good certifications for IT?

41keems

Hi,

I just finished my junior year in college studying Information Technology and have decided that it would be best to have more to show for myself than just a degree by the time I graduate.

I would like to start with doing two certifications that would make me more competitive in the IT job market. As of right now I am hoping to land a system/network admin position post graduation. Eventually I plan to go into the cyber security industry. Can anyone recommend me some certifications that I should start with and maybe some ones to earn after that?

Thanks in advance :)

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

A+, Network+, Security+ to start. (Maybe CCNA instead of Network+)

Any idea how long those will take if I spend about 20 hours a week studying? I'm seeing what I can achieve this summer.

Can't give you a straight answer as it depends on each person, I'd say give each one at least a month of studying. Depending on your knack you may catch on easier to some topics but struggle with others. Best of luck either way!

35 minutes ago, comander said:

While doing certs is GOOD, I would strongly suggest focusing your energies on getting an internship or part time job that is relevant to your career instead. 
Roughly speaking, this means getting a good resume (google: "M&I resume" and adapt it; google: "mckinsey cover letter case interview" and adapt it). Then get good at answering interview questions - take each bullet point on the resume and write out a paragraph on it detailing, who, what, when, where, why and how. Then write out 3 paragraphs for "prove you work well with teams, prove you get important stuff done, prove you're interesting" potentially borrowing from the prior work. have successful people look over your writing and tear it apart. 

That usually matters a lot more. That's what the kid at MIT or Berkeley is doing to get into Google or Amazon (read: 150k a year income out of undergrad as SWEs; 200-300k after a few years of experience; 400k if you're my 24 year old roommate).  You already have a degree to prove you know the basics anyway so certs give diminishing returns (do get them later though), what you need is awesome stuff on the resume sooner than later (Vice President of IT club, IT internship at Apple, volunteer IT work at the local orphanage)

As stated though:

• A+, Network+, Security+ to start. (Maybe CCNA instead of Network+)

I would personally just watch Professor Messer on Youtube for free in your free time. Just kind of skim it all to get a feel. Works well for A+ and Network+. For what it's worth I'm not in IT and do IT-stuff for fun. Also consider CCIE. You might want to mix in doing some basic home-lab stuff as well (setting up VLANs, rolling your own DNS, knowing what ESXi is, etc.). This (homelab + certs) might be something to do during the summer while doing an internship. 

I love your advice. I was unable to get a IT job for this summer. I have a 3.1 GPA and a good resume but no cover letter (will make one). Also I plan on joining an IT related club this next school year. Really my goal now is to learn skills that will make me competitive in the job market. 

1 minute ago, 41keems said:

Really my goal now is to learn skills that will make me competitive in the job market. 

Learn some scripting with Python and PowerShell.

Having some knowledge with VMWare(maybe look at their certs too, depending on what you wanna do in IT) will help as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Learn some scripting with Python and PowerShell.

Having some knowledge with VMWare(maybe look at their certs too, depending on what you wanna do in IT) will help as well.

4 minutes ago, comander said:

For what it's worth I don't think having a CL matters so much as having the ability to make one (it's an exercise in what you'd say during an interview)

To the extent that you can, take what you have and finesse it to heck and beyond. If you PM me your email I'm more than willing to help out with resume + interview prep stuff for free (within reasonable bounds), it's a hobby/obsession of mine.  
https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/free-investment-banking-resume-template/ <- this is the page I had referred to. Different industry but the concepts apply. 

As far as the club stuff is concerned, it's generally best to have some sort of a leadership role in it. Figure out how to get into a leadership/board role while doing the least amount of work possible (read: get elected to the board, then explain that you're "really busy" and delegate tasks to others - do the bare minimum work towards the club that you end up valued and respected but no more)

One trick - if you want another go at "good summer internships" that are often reserved for returning students, consider taking an extra term for a 5th year (do it part time, minimum cost, maybe even online, think 1 unit). I ended up doing this after striking out at the IT consulting game (had final round interviews with Capgemini and Deloitte consulting but no offers... so I tried again the next year during fall recruiting). 

Other things to consider if you're trying to up the "interesting" factor - I volunteered teaching English for a week in a foreign country. It checked a few boxes that I was trying to tick when I thought I'd be the guy getting a Harvard MBA (spoiler: it didn't work out). Things like Outreach360 or potentially a program through your University works well. 

As much as you can you want to have as many boxes checked (resume with lots of big names and high levels of accomplishment relative to time with SMART [specific, measurable, achieved, relevant, timely] things accomplished + preparation) the day before you set foot on campus during your last Fall term. 

I'll try to get a leadership position in a club. There are a couple at my college. I do have some leadership experience and other cool stuff under my belt. (I was in boy scouts).

As for internships, I actually have another year and a half left in college so I want to teach myself some skills to hopefully get one next summer. This past fall and spring I had about 8 phone and in person interviews but I didn't get anything. This is most likely due to poor interviewing skills, lack of knowledge, or both.

Also I will pm you my email and will send my resume. 

I really appreciate your help, this means alot.