Contact Details and Location of Influencers leaked from Instagram Accounts

Bravo1cc

A Mumbai-Based company has been breach with an unprotected database on an Amazon server.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48347592

Instagram was quoted saying "We're looking into the issue to understand if the data described - including email and phone numbers - was from Instagram or from other sources. We're also inquiring with Chtrbox to understand where this data came from and how it became publicly available,"

My personal view on this is that not only are social media companies not living up to their end of the bargain with data security and preventing this sort of data scraping, but it seems that companies somehow get hold of this information are unconcerned at best as to how they handle sensitive data from high profile users of said services. What are your thoughts?

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Instagram is owned by Facebook.. .what did you expect??

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Instagram is owned by Facebook.. .what did you expect??

Thats not what i'm surprised about, the broader picture here is that personal information is sitting somewhere and Instgram just admitted it doesn't know where. 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Bravo1cc said:

Thats not what i'm surprised about, the broader picture here is that personal information is sitting somewhere and Instgram just admitted it doesn't know where. 

So Chtrbox isnt owned by Instagram... so chances are what happened is Chtrbox was hacked since its influencer accounts.. not instagram.. they likely screwed up and had their clients information stored via plain text instead of encrypted. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

So Chtrbox isnt owned by Instagram... so chances are what happened is Chtrbox was hacked since its influencer accounts.. not instagram.. they likely screwed up and had their clients information stored via plain text instead of encrypted. 

Quite possibly, will be interesting to see what the outcome is of this and what effect this will have on the black sheep on the tech world that is Facebook.

Just now, Bravo1cc said:

Quite possibly, will be interesting to see what the outcome is of this and what effect this will have on the black sheep on the tech world that is Facebook.

since it doesnt appear to directly involve instagram/facebook directly, I would suspect none. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

since it doesnt appear to directly involve instagram/facebook directly, I would suspect none. 

It should, they have exposed data somewhere and this is a lot like the Cambridge Analytica issue that Facebook had.

2 minutes ago, Bravo1cc said:

It should, they have exposed data somewhere and this is a lot like the Cambridge Analytica issue that Facebook had.

how so? influencers sign up for chatrbox and give them personal information.. the same information Instagram is talking to them about how/why it was leaked... Instagram had nothing to do with it beyond the accounts being on there platform. There systems never failed this time, they werent the ones who had data hacked and breached.. it was chatrbox, not instagram. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

39 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

how so? influencers sign up for chatrbox and give them personal information.. the same information Instagram is talking to them about how/why it was leaked... Instagram had nothing to do with it beyond the accounts being on there platform. There systems never failed this time, they werent the ones who had data hacked and breached.. it was chatrbox, not instagram. 

Shouldn't the blame lie with Instagram for making this information available to them and not vetting them for handling the data properly. As the host platform shouldnt they manage and maintain the partners they work with and let handle their data. 

7 hours ago, Bravo1cc said:

Shouldn't the blame lie with Instagram for making this information available to them and not vetting them for handling the data properly. As the host platform shouldnt they manage and maintain the partners they work with and let handle their data. 

no.. instagram has no relationship with them. I cou ld go sign up right now and give them my info and let them do there thing. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Going to have to go live rn to tell my 7 followers the bad news ?

6 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Quick everyone, act surprised.

With the speed of a stampeding heard of wildebeest and one slightly startled gazelle,  the entirety of LTT put on a display of surprise as the very ordinary news was presented.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, Bravo1cc said:

That's the problem with external services having access to Fecesbook data beyond what they should be having. You know, all the apps and services you connect with Fecesbook? Those... And Fecesbook for allowing it all under some broad notification when connecting instead of letting people know what they have access to exactly.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That's the problem with external services having access to Fecesbook data beyond what they should be having. You know, all the apps and services you connect with Fecesbook? Those... And Fecesbook for allowing it all under some broad notification when connecting instead of letting people know what they have access to exactly.

100% agree with this, its the source of the data that is much to blame as the entity that lost it.

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

no.. instagram has no relationship with them. I cou ld go sign up right now and give them my info and let them do there thing. 

Well i disagree, i think they should be held accountable for allowing this data to be taken from their service. All i have left to say on the matter. Interesting to hear your take on things though.

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Not true. Instagram, through connected services/apps gives others access to YOUR personal info. Sure it's you who connects it, but the info on what's shared is usually so broad and people don't realize what all they are unknowingly consenting to. And when they say "we'll share contact info" with X service, I think majority of people thinks e-mail only, not your entire personal info data sheet with your IRS number and your foot size along with tons of other things like phone numbers. The fact these mega social networks don't care what companies then pull out of their databases is also worrying. But hey, user confirmed it so it's their fault, Facebook has cleaned their hands the moment user confirmed it. It still doesn't make it any less shitty.