DIY Case 2.5'' drive mounting solution

Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,

doublesided tape............im assuming they are 2,5 inch SSD drives? those are relativly light. why not stick em on. 

Greetings fellow Nerds,

I have created a pc case from layered wood and acrylic Glass. Picture of it is below.

Now that i's running, i'd like to take the 2.5"" drives from my previos pc and just take them over to the new one.

It have come to the realization though, that it is kinda difficult to mount drives in there in a solid and visually satisfying way.

Basically only metal sheets work, since the mounting screws are so short.

I have some space over the PSU.

The current idea is to reuse 3.5"" mounting plates from a sacrificial pc and bend them to then screw them to the side.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have an idea for a solution?

All ideas are very much appreciated.

IMG_20190519_190149.jpg.789b072b2187a69a338226a4ce7076a4.jpg

any kind of mounting tape will be fine. if you're talking a HDD it's like 85g/3ounce roughly. SSD are going to be even lighter than that

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

doublesided tape............im assuming they are 2,5 inch SSD drives? those are relativly light. why not stick em on. 

That is so simple a solution, i did not even think of it... maybe velcro tape though, so i can actually remove them.

Velcro is a good idea. But I'm not sure it would be safe to mount hdd that way. HDD vibrate when powered up.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Velcro is a good idea. But I'm not sure it would be safe to mount hdd that way. HDD vibrate when powered up.

We'll see i guess. Technically that stuff should be pretty resistant to vibration.

I have one hdd and one ssd. If the hdd comes a little loose after a while i'll comment again. I think the velcro should still be massive overkill for a single drive.

Actually... just to be safe let me google vibration and hdd's.

Edit: Back from google.

From what i could find, hdd's vibrate to a very small degree but are actually in danger if subjected to vibration. Since the velcro should decouple the hdd a little that would make it even safer, since i have a subwoofer not too far away from my pc.... that is as long as the hdd does not come loose xD