Any downsides to mix+matching RAM modules

Working on a new build right now, bought a new kit of RAM already, but realised I could Frankenstein up a bunch of older components from other builds that I'm not using anymore. More specifically, wondering what would happen if i mixed + matched different RAM kits with varying speeds/brands

For example, if my Motherboard had 8 memory slots, all in dual channel, it'd look something like this

Channel A(slot #1 and #5): My new Corsair Veangeance 2x 8gb 3000mhz RAM kit
Channel B(slot #2 and #6): Older 2x8gb Gskill Trident 2x 8gb 2444 mhz RAM kit
Channel C(slot #3 and #7): REALLY old 2x 4gb Gskil Ripjaws (not even sure what speed they are)
Channel D(slot #4 and #8): empty

I could probably leave the old 2x4gb gskill ripjaws out completely, but wondering how the Corsair Veangeance 3000 and the Gskill Trident 2444's would work together for example

Do the faster modules slow down to match the slower modules?
Will doing something like this cause possible instability? BSOD/memory crashes etc?

Current Rig:

Spoiler

CPU i5 11600k @4.7ghtz Cooler Noctua NHD15 | RAM 32gb @3200mhz Kingston HyperX Fury | Mobo Gigabyte z590 Aorus Elite AX | GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080  | PSU Corsair RM750I | Tower Fractal Define C | Peripherals Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Sennheiser 6xx Headphones, Beyerdynamics DT990-250 Headphones, Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless Earbuds, Blue Yeti Mic, Rhode PSA boom arm, Objective2 SDAC/ODAC

worst case scenario your motherboard freaks out and doesn't POST, but usually it'll just run at the fastest speed all ram sticks support. Dual/quad channel might be disabled too in some cases.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

9 minutes ago, Raintech said:

Do the faster modules slow down to match the slower modules?

This. Is a yes.

It will run on the slowest maximum speed of all module that you install.

Ex. Corsair 3000, mixed up with Gskill Trident 2444. All of it will run on 2444.

And if that Gskill Ripjaw got the more lower max speed, it will follow.

Suggesting using HWInfo for checking the max speed, tho. Then set all of the RAM on UEFI on that speed.

9 minutes ago, Raintech said:

Will doing something like this cause possible instability? BSOD/memory crashes etc?

I'm mixing two brands here (Micron and TeamGroup) and it barely gone (only happens for 2-3 times in this lifetime of laptop, which about 2 years) for BSOD.

Point is, still stable af.

But tbh dunno on your case. It's two brand (and three models) of mix.

Might all of the three CAS latencies are different for each other, and might got some instability.

Best case, just test it. Get experiment from it. And yes as @Herman Mcpootis just said, if it does't POST, it doesn't work.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

9 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Ex. Corsair 3000, mixed up with Gskill Trident 2444. All of it will run on 2444.

And if that Gskill Ripjaw got the more lower max speed, it will follow.

Suggesting using HWInfo for checking the max speed, tho. Then set all of the RAM on UEFI on that speed.

Alright, this was exactly what i was looking for, cheers.

Doesn't hurt to try it out i suppose, end of the day 16gb RAM is still probably plenty anyways, but sticking in 32 means i won't need to worry about it ever again for the forseeable future

Current Rig:

Spoiler

CPU i5 11600k @4.7ghtz Cooler Noctua NHD15 | RAM 32gb @3200mhz Kingston HyperX Fury | Mobo Gigabyte z590 Aorus Elite AX | GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080  | PSU Corsair RM750I | Tower Fractal Define C | Peripherals Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Sennheiser 6xx Headphones, Beyerdynamics DT990-250 Headphones, Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless Earbuds, Blue Yeti Mic, Rhode PSA boom arm, Objective2 SDAC/ODAC