Asus Zenbook Pro 15 UX550GE

Hey there guys, so I finally replaced my Asus Zenbook 3 UX490UA a few months ago with this new toy (it's such a joy considering the fact that the CPU is twice as fast + dGPU for some gaming). I got the i7-8750H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD version.

So recently I discovered that the laptop has 2 out of 4 RAM slots occupied.

Task Manager says: image.png.726e89138c9fba99af81759335773d27.png

Hwinfo64 says: image.png.1aa40a78c00523da876b3d343c61da64.png

image.png.796b03f9be35912278ae4c7d1da951d2.png

image.png.5257896138121e3d9dab7675450da41f.png

image.png.7e5cd51261bc90097a413bd2fb556126.png

image.png.1f460f75dd9145db84156d1b342ab2e9.png

I've tried looking all over the internet but couldn't find info about this particular model (the UX550GE) if it has expandable memory or not. I contacted Asus support, but they told me there's only 1 free RAM slot. I really want to upgrade at 32 GB of RAM since I use this laptop for work purposes and sometimes when I take a break I play some games, and because I severely limited swap file size, the game crashes. Also I'll be using docker in the near future, and I could really use 32 gigs of RAM.

So the question isis the ram amount upgradeable ?

I am not sure but it seems that ASUS did solder the RAM on the pro 15 (i found teardowns of the UX550VD and the UX580GE). Maybe take a look and open the bottom panel. It should be obvious if there is a slot free or not. 

Just now, Manderis said:

I am not sure but it seems that ASUS did solder the RAM on the pro 15 (i found teardowns of the UX550VD and the UX580GE). Maybe take a look and open the bottom panel. It should be obvious if there is a slot free or not. 

I don't want to void the warranty, otherwise I wouldn't even be writing this post here.

1 minute ago, Răzvan Botea said:

I don't want to void the warranty, otherwise I wouldn't even be writing this post here.

Where do you live? Opening a bottom panel should not void your warranty. If you want to make sure check your manual. SSD upgrades are usually listed as user upgrades. And to do those you have to open the panel.

Just make sure not to accidentally spill a drink on it because that would void your warranty for sure. 

1 minute ago, Manderis said:

Where do you live? Opening a bottom panel should not void your warranty. If you want to make sure check your manual. SSD upgrades are usually listed as user upgrades. And to do those you have to open the panel.

Just make sure not to accidentally spill a drink on it because that would void your warranty for sure. 

It says right under my profile's avatar ?. I've skimmed through the whole user's manual, no mention of that.

1 minute ago, Răzvan Botea said:

Yeah, i know. It is more like a "where do you live that it is not illegal for a company to claim, opening a panel would void the warranty" kind of meaning. 

It is probably soldered anyways.

2 minutes ago, Manderis said:

Yeah, i know. It is more like a "where do you live that it is not illegal for a company to claim, opening a panel would void the warranty" kind of meaning. 

It is probably soldered anyways.

Even those that offer upgradeability have this "warranty void if open" thing. In which case you have to send into service to upgrade it. The problem IS, Asus support told me there's a RAM slot free, and the guys that offers service for Asus here in RO told me that, they can do it if I supply my own RAM stick, but I'm pretty much sure they didn't even check if this laptop is ugradeable.

4 minutes ago, Răzvan Botea said:

warranty void if open

In most countries I am aware of those stickers have no legal relevance whatsoever. Just a way for manufacturers to sell customer there overpriced service. 

1 minute ago, Manderis said:

In most countries I am aware of those stickers have no legal relevance whatsoever. Just a way for manufacturers to sell customer there overpriced service. 

It does here. Not to mention that I bought an extra 1 yr of warranty and don't want to flush it down the shit drain

This model has soldered RAM. Not upgradable

In many laptops task manager will show 4 RAM slots but in fact there's only 2

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128