Computer Chugging with 4k Footage from Gh5

Hello All,

My work computer really seems to chug when I am editing 4k footage from my Gh5, I am curious if it is my hardware. I edit in Premiere and I know I can make proxies to help solve this issue, I just wanted to see if there was something else I could try before I switch up my workflow.

PC Specs (Dell Precision Tower 7810):

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10Ghz

GPU - Quadro P4000

RAM -  32gb

Thank you for reading!

Try editing in 1080p and how is that ?  Is it much faster ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Try editing in 1080p and how is that ?  Is it much faster ?

This will eliminate the graphics card out of the solution.

Your Xeon is great for rendering with all its cores, but its old microarchitecture and slow clock speed will make timeline scrubbing a pain.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

try making proxies on import. This will make a version fo the footage that is lower resultion with a much easier to play codec, then use the orginal footage again when you want to export it back out. Id use something like the 720p cineform proxy option in premiere.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Your Xeon is great for rendering with all its cores, but its old microarchitecture and slow clock speed will make timeline scrubbing a pain.

I mean 2.1Ghz is not very good.  That is holding you back big time.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Thanks all for the replies!

To answer some questions yes 1080 is no problem it is only when I use 4k that it chugs.

I kind of thought it might be the CPU

It definitely does seem like proxies will be my go to from now on.

Thank you again everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Are shooting in the 150mbps 4k 10-bit or the 400mbps 10-bit 4k? or one of the 8-bit formats? I had a hardtime getting my Ryzen 2700X system to keep up with it but it is because I was shooting the 150mbps format which is longGOP compression and is much more CPU intensive in playback since the CPU is "creating" all of the frames in between the keyframes. The GH5 has been notorious for producing footage that is a pain to edit in premiere.

I do have better luck with the 400mbps 4K format since it is All-I which means the CPU isn't having to "create" any frames between key frames and is rather opening separately compressed frames. But I still do have timeline scrubbing and playback issues more occasionally than I would like. I think it has more to do with reading larger compressed files than the size or resolution of the files because I have raw 6K Red Scarlett footage that I can edit with no problems.

I love my GH5 but I hate working with the footage.

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future

On 6/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, craydawg said:

Are shooting in the 150mbps 4k 10-bit or the 400mbps 10-bit 4k? or one of the 8-bit formats? I had a hardtime getting my Ryzen 2700X system to keep up with it but it is because I was shooting the 150mbps format which is longGOP compression and is much more CPU intensive in playback since the CPU is "creating" all of the frames in between the keyframes. The GH5 has been notorious for producing footage that is a pain to edit in premiere.

I do have better luck with the 400mbps 4K format since it is All-I which means the CPU isn't having to "create" any frames between key frames and is rather opening separately compressed frames. But I still do have timeline scrubbing and playback issues more occasionally than I would like. I think it has more to do with reading larger compressed files than the size or resolution of the files because I have raw 6K Red Scarlett footage that I can edit with no problems.

I love my GH5 but I hate working with the footage.

Interesting, i will give this a shot! I have actually been trying out Davinci Resolve 16 for the last month and it has very few issues with playback.

delete

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.