Adding a second router/modem

anonvx

Hi, I have FIOS and wanted to add a second router in another room. I bought a second actiontec mi424wr. I followed some tutorials online to set it up. I basically leave the coax unplugged on the second router and bridge the coax and network. I can't bridge the broadband coax though, it says something about an enslaved WAN. I also set it to receive an ip address from my other router which is the dhcp server. I then plug in the coax cable to the second router. I get internet on it but the router settings says check broadband. I also get some really slow speeds, loading a show on Netflix takes around 8 minutes.

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

Coax why it has a coax? Ethernet cable you mean?

I suppose FIOS is optical, ain't it?

To have your second router as a slave, set it to Access Point Mode (not router mode).

Bridge the router with a lan cable, and set the dhcp server to the FIOS router.

You don't need the coax cable.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Coax why it has a coax? Ethernet cable you mean?

I suppose FIOS is optical, ain't it?

To have your second router as a slave, set it to Access Point Mode (not router mode).

Bridge the router with a lan cable, and set the dhcp server to the FIOS router.

You don't need the coax cable.

Well at least in my case its only fiber optic from verizon then to my house. Inside of my house its all coax. I already have one fios router connected to a netgear router. Im trying to add a second fios router into the mix.

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

Why you need 2 fios router?

Do you need 2 internet connection?

If that's the case, then you won't need to bridge it, just use as is.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why you need 2 fios router?

Do you need 2 internet connection?

If that's the case, then you won't need to bridge it, just use as is.

I need ethernet in my basement. Only way to do that is by adding a second fios router. When I plug a fios router into the coax its basically like plugging it directly into the first fios router.

Victor F. 

Coax networking is ancient. It's the thing of the 90's.

But if you can connect it good then.

For me the easiest solution is to :

A. Buy a wifi repeater to extend the connection from your netgear.

B. Buy an access point to extend your wifi with ethernet (you can do this with another router as well)

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Coax networking is ancient. It's the thing of the 90's.

BULL SHIT. Look up Moca dude. You can nearly do 1 Gbps on Moca with the newer hardware. Also Coax networking is used by major cable cos, for whole home DVR. 

1 hour ago, anonvx said:

Hi, I have FIOS and wanted to add a second router in another room. I bought a second actiontec mi424wr. I followed some tutorials online to set it up. I basically leave the coax unplugged on the second router and bridge the coax and network. I can't bridge the broadband coax though, it says something about an enslaved WAN. I also set it to receive an ip address from my other router which is the dhcp server. I then plug in the coax cable to the second router. I get internet on it but the router settings says check broadband. I also get some really slow speeds, loading a show on Netflix takes around 8 minutes.

I think you screwed up. You didnt need a second Verizon router, plus added multiple routers rarely solves issues it can in fact cause issues. Id look at Moca adapters and maybe a network swtich OR they have a moca adapter with WiFi built in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

BULL SHIT. Look up Moca dude. You can nearly do 1 Gbps on Moca with the newer hardware. Also Coax networking is used by major cable cos, for whole home DVR.

I know man, chill.

Only cable companies still used coax nowadays, the are slowly moving away to fibre optics.

Common folks use Ethernet, more convenient. 

The last time i saw an office wired up with coax is 1998.

You can use coax networking too if you have the right hardware.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I know man, chill.

Only cable companies still used coax nowadays, the are slowly moving away to fibre optics.

The point Im making is its not 1980s tech if they are actively developing it. Also most people cant easily run Ethernet in their homes, though they may also have coax already ran. Secondly WiFi extenders are shit and should never be used unless under extreme circumstances. Ive heard of reports of people getting 400 Mbps on unbonded Moca adapters, with bonded adapters getting 800 Mbps. Fact is, wired is always better, even if its not Ethernet. Moca is also worlds better than power line adapters. 

And no they are not moving from Coax. Verizon FIOS converts its fiber to coax at the home. This way they can offer TV service and internet thru the same wire. Even Comcast in some areas runs Fiber to the home but will convert to Coax at the house and run it like a Docsis network like they already have. 

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I know man, chill.

I have let to see a house with Ethernet. From my experience they use coax in residential because of TV's.

Victor F. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The point Im making is its not 1980s tech if they are actively developing it. Also most people cant easily run Ethernet in their homes, though they may also have coax already ran. Secondly WiFi extenders are shit and should never be used unless under extreme circumstances. Ive heard of reports of people getting 400 Mbps on unbonded Moca adapters, with bonded adapters getting 800 Mbps. Fact is, wired is always better, even if its not Ethernet. Moca is also worlds better than power line adapters. 

And no they are not moving from Coax. Verizon FIOS converts its fiber to coax at the home. This way they can offer TV service and internet thru the same wire. Even Comcast in some areas runs Fiber to the home but will convert to Coax at the house and run it like a Docsis network like they already have. 

would this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Actiontec-WCB3000N-Dual-Band-Wireless-Network-Extender-with-MoCA-Gigabit/113179511626?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D0708a88933394205b5403b8386d83040%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D113179511626%26itm%3D113179511626&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A197a841e-7a81-11e9-b8b4-74dbd1803f35|parentrq%3Ad2198c1716a0a861b6b83a63ffe9cfcd|iid%3A1

Victor F. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I'm not talking COAX tech in general, just for home networking, the tech is cumbersome.

If you can get to use a MOCA adapter, that's ok, but compare it with the price of a ethernet cable.

1 minute ago, anonvx said:

I would assume so. The only question really to ask is if your going to need a moca adapter on your router Verizon router or if it will just work. The reason for this question is Verizon uses Moca to get the Internet from the ONT to the router. See Moca uses 1 Ghz to 1.5 Ghz on the coax while TV is generally between 5 Mhz-950 Mhz. I also know that the Verizon router provides some kind of connection to your cable boxes, so that Moca extender might be able to connect directly do the Verizon router without any extra adapters. I know that in some cases with some Cable providers this is how it works. 

I think there are guides on how to use moca with Verizon. Id look for one of those to figure out what they require. Generally if using Moca with a cable provider a Moca filter needs to be placed on the main line, to stop leakage, but this might not be the case for Verizon. 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

but compare it with the price of a ethernet cable.

Again. Most people have coax in the walls already. Most homes are not wired for Ethernet. So there is nothing to compare. Because an electrician is going to charge a metric shit ton to install Ethernet. Not all people are skill enough to install it themselves. 

20 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I know man, chill.

I also believe you can only have 5 devices on moca. 

There is also the fact everything has a rj45 port on them. As we also slowly get to 10gbe network in out house coax probably wont work anymore

I also saw my coax tv provider does not need coax anymore for there set top boxes. can use ethernet without an issue as long as it is still good quality. "as long as a computer can work on it at full 100/1000 then it will work for our system"

This just leaves satellite tv providers.

People still think they only need coax in there basement when they develop it, till they start to connect things like android boxes and game consoles.

3 hours ago, intertan said:

I also believe you can only have 5 devices on moca. 

16 Moca devices. But you can hook switches to them if you need more than one device connected to an adapter. 

can use ethernet without an issue as long as it is still good quality. "as long as a computer can work on it at full 100/1000 then it will work for our system"

Again not many peoples houses are wired for Ethernet. My house for one is one of them. Part of it was built in 1930. Its not like they were thinking of Ethernet in 1930. 

As we also slowly get to 10gbe network in out house coax probably wont work anymore

10Gbps is still hell of expensive. Most devices dont even have 10 gig ports. Hell my HD Homerun has a 100 Mbps Ethernet port. The fact is 10 Gig is still a ways off. And your not getting 10 Gbps Internet in the US any time soon. Fastest offered I have seen at a kinda reasonable price is the 2 Gbps Fiber from Comcast, even then its still $299 a month plus up to $1000 installation fees. 

Also on top of that Docsis 3.1 spec suggests that 10 Gbps is the top of what it can do, so, even the cable co's could potentially milk copper for much longer. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

10Gbps is still hell of expensive. Most devices dont even have 10 gig ports. Hell my HD Homerun has a 100 Mbps Ethernet port. The fact is 10 Gig is still a ways off. And your not getting 10 Gbps Internet in the US any time soon. Fastest offered I have seen at a kinda reasonable price is the 2 Gbps Fiber from Comcast, even then its still $299 a month plus up to $1000 installation fees.

Several smaller municipalities in the US offer 10Gbps internet for around $400/month.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

52 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Several smaller municipalities in the US offer 10Gbps internet for around $400/month.

Thats not affordable. Thats about a weeks worth of pay for me. When you can get those speeds for like $150 a month and its the big guys like Comcast and AT&T offering it, then we can say 10 Gbps is here. Muni broadband doesnt really count as most people dont have that option available to them. Also besides Piracy, what would you need a connection like that for? 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats not affordable. Thats about a weeks worth of pay for me. When you can get those speeds for like $150 a month and its the big guys like Comcast and AT&T offering it, then we can say 10 Gbps is here. Muni broadband doesnt really count as most people dont have that option available to them. Also besides Piracy, what would you need a connection like that for? 

Affordable when compared to the $300/month for 2Gbps from Comcast is what I was going for.

I agree, it's not targeted at most consumers, aside those who want it for their e-peen, it's mostly businesses.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: