LAPTOP FOR WORK AND GAMING

Hello everyone!

Would you mind helping a newb out?

After working and saving up for a laptop, I've finally found two good ones within my budget (strict budget), but I'm torn between these two laptops that I'll be using daily. 

SPECS SUMMARY:

ASUS GL503GE
120hz TN (About 99% color accuracy according to reviews)
1050ti
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
USB-C

Dell G7 7588
60hz IPS
I7-8750h
1060 MaxQ
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
Thunderbolt 3

Here's some info: I'll be using this laptop for work and gaming. About 50% work, 50% gaming. I also plan to keep this for at most 3-4 years.

For work: I'll be doing lots of MS Office work and some basic image and video editing. 

For gaming:
20% eSport - Dota 2 (Rank)
20% MMO - World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls Online
60% - Other offline games from old to modern titles.

Prices are almost identical. Battery is also not a concern since these are gaming laptops and will be plugging it in most of the time. No notable heat problems for these two according to reviews.

The question is, which would be better for a good and long term gaming experience? Also, 120hz or 60hz?

Note: I'm leaning towards the G7 since it has better chassis and least gaming vibe design (I like minimalist stuff).

Concerns: Most of the games I'll be playing are older rpg titles so that means the games will hit more than 60 fps (which would mean the Asus will be better for this), also on the other hand, I don't mind playing at 60 fps, but will most likely suffer from screen tearing/input lag if I'm not mistaken or does this apply to fast paced games only? (I already played on a 120 fps and yes, it is better). So, I'm kinda facing a big dilemma.

Another question: VSync On or FPS Limiter? Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of both (really newb sorry)? I tried searching for answers online, but still not satisfied. I just want a smooth/good gaming experience, since I've been longing for this (third world problems).

P.S. I considered the Helios 300, but it has extreme heating issues that would not be viable for long term usage since I'm also not into undervolting. Also, I'm constantly travelling so I considered getting a laptop and I bring my old laptop to work everyday since I can't bring my old gaming PC to work everyday. ?

Ya heres some advice................ but knowing laptop folk u won't like it.

but to bad here it is...

U likely don't need a real laptop, u likely only need a chromebook aka a browser that can check email, watch YT, do forum/reddit shit, do spreadsheets, use docs, etc etc basically browser shit. 

So then u buy a chromebook for 300 bucks for said shit u need to ACTUALLY do on the go.(PS u say your gonna do work like video editing or photo editing on the go but your not stop lying to yourself and just be the smart guy and make the right choice. Which is that Any laptop above a chromebook power level is a waste of money period.)

Then for all the real heavy tasks u got you'll go home and use the 500-600 desktop u built in this theoretical world with the money u saved from NOT burning it on some bullshit overpriced windows 10 laptop that will be outdated in 2 yrs EASY.

This set up may not be ideal at first but you'll learn to like it for the money saved, and the fact u can upgrade your Home PC EASILY and it will last YEARS where as that shit laptop Won't not one bit. You'd be stupid to not go with this method its what makes sense in the market and will be the only one that does for QUITE A WHILE. 

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

8 hours ago, TheReal_ist said:

-snip-

Buddy, I'm the biggest supporter of Chromebooks, but you're wrong. This guy needs to edit stuff on the go, which you just can't do with a Chromebook.

Anyhow, I'd go for the Dell. Thunderbolt 3 is useful for expansion if that 1060 dies, seems to me the only sacrifice is 144hz which imo, meh, I'd rather have an IPS display, which you'll want for photo editing.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

8 hours ago, TheReal_ist said:

-snip-

Back on topic. I understand what you're saying, but don't generalize us "laptop folks". Do you think buying a PC haven't crossed my mind? Heck, I can get one right now. My mistake is I didn't put that I am travelling from time to time so this is why I considered a laptop (will edit this). Been playing on a PC and console ever since I was kid. It's just that when I entered college, my daily driver changed to a laptop.

It all depends on the lifestyle you know? Maybe If I'm like you, maybe who doesn't go out of their caves, I will not be posting this thread. Try bringing a complete set of PC to work everyday for years and show it to me right here then maybe I will consider a PC.

Will max out for 2 years? I have a notebook (typing in it right now) which is already 7 years old, it totally invalidates what you said, no? 

7 hours ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Anyhow, I'd go for the Dell. Thunderbolt 3 is useful for expansion if that 1060 dies, seems to me the only sacrifice is 144hz which imo, meh, I'd rather have an IPS display, which you'll want for photo editing.

Thanks man! Finally, a sensible answer.

Like I said from my reply to him, I forgot to add that I'm constantly travelling, but that doesn't mean someone has to be mean answering.

1 hour ago, BBGamerzs said:

VSync On or FPS Limiter?

I'm also not into undervolting

FPS limiter. Undervolting is a must for new laptops and it's easy to do

Where are you from? Budget? No preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

FPS limiter. Undervolting is a must for new laptops and it's easy to do

Where are you from? Budget? No preference on weight and battery life?

Nothing specific on weight or batteries, just a 15.6 inch laptop. Will be ordering on amazon and according to the site, (on sale I think) G7 and Strix is around 1200-1300 USD.

About undervolting, thanks for the info, but without undervolting, the considered laptops doesn't even need it to perform well. Plus, I don't want to void any warranties. While the Helios 300 still had issues after undervolting. Just my two cents though. :) 

Which country are you from? Any links of online stores besides Amazon?

8th/9th gen CPU runs hot, that's why you might want to undervolt. Some models don't benefit from undervolting as the cooling system is reaching its limits

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

11 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Which country are you from? Any links of online stores besides Amazon?

8th/9th gen CPU runs hot, that's why you might want to undervolt. Some models don't benefit from undervolting as the cooling system is reaching its limits

I'm from PH. There some legit online stores here, but if I buy here it would take 200-300 USD more. :( 

Yea, thanks for that info about 8th gens, heard a thing or two about those.. I'll be buying some laptop coolers if budget permits.

10 minutes ago, BBGamerzs said:

I'm from PH. There some legit online stores here, but if I buy here it would take 200-300 USD more. :( 

So you're buying from Amazon? I thought it will have import tax?

10 minutes ago, BBGamerzs said:

laptop coolers

Laptop cooler does nothing unless you buy the high end ones

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So you're buying from Amazon? I thought it will have import tax?

Laptop cooler does nothing unless you buy the high end ones

There are some ways to avoid those taxes according to amazon, so it's all right. 

And yes, I will buy proper coolers. So, back to thread's question, which would you pick? ^_^ 

4 minutes ago, BBGamerzs said:

I will buy proper coolers

Don't buy one, not worth it. There are cheaper yet effective ways to decrease temps

5 minutes ago, BBGamerzs said:

There are some ways to avoid those taxes according to amazon, so it's all right.

Have to tried buying from Amazon?

6 minutes ago, BBGamerzs said:

which would you pick?

Could you provide the links of the 2 models you've listed above?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Don't buy one, not worth it. There are cheaper yet effective ways to decrease temps

Have to tried buying from Amazon?

Could you provide the links of the 2 models you've listed above?

Here:

Asus: https://www.amazon.com/8th-Gen-i7-8750H-processor-FireCuda-GL503GE-ES73/dp/B07BPB158F/ref=sr_1_3?tag=mattmoni-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1538930772&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+strix+hero+edition

Dell: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Hexa-Core-i7-8750H-Bluetooth/dp/B07FM7YLL3

On 5/19/2019 at 3:35 PM, BBGamerzs said:

Nothing specific on weight or batteries

Clevo NH58EDQ / Sager NP7853

Note that you might not have local warranty support if you buy from Amazon

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Clevo NH58EDQ / Sager NP7853

Note that you might not have local warranty support if you buy from Amazon

I checked the laptop. It's a very nice laptop. Thank you! Will consider this now.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:44 AM, BBGamerzs said:

Hello everyone!

After working and saving up for a laptop, I've finally found two good ones within my budget (strict budget), but I'm torn between these two laptops that I'll be using daily. 

SPECS SUMMARY:

ASUS GL503GE
1050ti
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
USB-C

Dell G7 7588
60hz IPS
I7-8750h
1060 MaxQ
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
Thunderbolt 3

Here's some info: I'll be using this laptop for work and gaming. About 50% work, 50% gaming. I also plan to keep this for at most 3-4 years.

For work: I'll be doing lots of MS Office work and some basic image and video editing. 

For gaming:

Prices are almost identical. Battery is also not a concern since these are gaming laptops and will be plugging it in most of the time. No notable heat problems for these two according to reviews.

The question is, which would be better for a good and long term gaming experience? Also, 120hz or 60hz?

Note: I'm leaning towards the G7 since it has better chassis and least gaming vibe design (I like minimalist stuff).

Concerns: Most of the games I'll be playing are older rpg titles so that means the games will hit more than 60 fps (which would mean the Asus will be better for this), also on the other hand, I don't mind playing at 60 fps, but will most likely suffer from screen tearing/input lag if I'm not mistaken or does this apply to fast paced games only? (I already played on a 120 fps and yes, it is better). So, I'm kinda facing a big dilemma.

Another question: VSync On or FPS Limiter? Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of both (really newb sorry)? I tried searching for answers online, but still not satisfied. I just want a smooth/good gaming experience, since I've been longing for this (third world problems).

P.S. I considered the Helios 300, but it has extreme heating issues that would not be viable for long term usage since I'm also not into undervolting. Also, I'm constantly travelling so I considered getting a laptop and I bring my old laptop to work everyday since I can't bring my old gaming PC to work everyday. ?

Firstly 120hz is better than 60hz screen. Secondly there are many more laptops that are for this price that are thinner, less gamery looking and more powerful.

Asus zephyrus G GA502 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-max-q-512gb-solid-state-drive-metalic-hairline-black/6335912.p?skuId=6335912

Lenovo ideapad l340 - https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ideapad-i7-9750H-Processor-81LK000EUS/dp/B07R6XPYKB/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=lenovo+ideapad+l340&qid=1558555464&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Acer preadator helios 300 - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-PH315-52-72RG/dp/B07QVM5X8W/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=acer+predator+helios+300&pd_rd_i=B07QVM5X8W&pd_rd_r=5bf0e713-ea67-4754-9547-b70935afe461&pd_rd_w=ONxst&pd_rd_wg=1o7cn&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=BXB4F1AEQV51ACBN23DH&qid=1558555534&s=gateway , https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-PH315-52-78VL/dp/B07QXLFLXT/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=acer+predator+helios+300&qid=1558555534&s=gateway&sr=8-7

8 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Asus zephyrus G GA502

Lenovo ideapad l340

Acer preadator helios 300

GA502 has low sRGB display despite 120Hz. 2060>1660TI

L340 has no reviews (given that it's based on Ideapad 330 15 which is a mediocre model, I don't think it's a good model either). Lower end GPU

Helios 300 2019 has mediocre cooling. 2060>1660TI

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, BBGamerzs said:

Hello everyone!

SPECS SUMMARY:

ASUS GL503GE
1050ti
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
USB-C

Dell G7 7588
60hz IPS
I7-8750h
1060 MaxQ
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
Thunderbolt 3

For gaming:

Out of those 2 that you posteed I'd get the G7 just because I like Dell's laptop quality and driver support and warranty more.

I'd also consider these models which are on sale right now:

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 8RD-021 15.6" Ultra Thin and Light Professional Laptop w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE-ES73 Scar Edition - 17.3" FHD 120Hz w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

8 hours ago, Ultra Male said:

Out of those 2 that you posteed I'd get the G7 just because I like Dell's laptop quality and driver support and warranty more.

I'd also consider these models which are on sale right now:

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 8RD-021 15.6" Ultra Thin and Light Professional Laptop w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE-ES73 Scar Edition - 17.3" FHD 120Hz w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI

Thanks!!! 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:28 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Helios 300 2019 has mediocre cooling. 2060>1660TI

No one ever tries to push the 1660ti as better than the 2060. It is just still powerful and at a good price

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:28 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Not everyone cares about color accuracy

9 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Not everyone cares about color accuracy

9 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

No one ever tries to push the 1660ti as better than the 2060. It is just still powerful and at a good price

For that price you can get Clevo NH58 with 2060 and 144Hz IPS

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/29/2019 at 7:11 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

For that price you can get Clevo NH58 with 2060 and 144Hz IPS

That's a boutique laptop. Keep in mind most people are looking for stealthy looking laptops and not the gamer looking ones.

1 hour ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

gamer looking ones

It's not gamer looking

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/31/2019 at 6:19 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

It's not gamer looking

come on it is. It must not be bulky to be gamer looking