My Power Supply Fan broke

Nibber

Today, i accidentaly broke a wing from my psu fan and now it cant spin, is that a problem that i should take care of ?

Yes, power supplies need working fans (believe it or not).

If it overheats and has proper overtemp protection it will shut down, and if it overheats and doesn't have overtemp protection something will blow up.

Yes. IIRC some power supplies have a normal PC cooling fan (I'm not sure what size, might vary depending on the model and brand), that you can remove and swap out.

Skip to about 3 mins in if you just want to watch the fan replacement part.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

21 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Yes. IIRC some power supplies have a normal PC cooling fan (I'm not sure what size, might vary depending on the model and brand), that you can remove and swap out.

Skip to about 3 mins in if you just want to watch the fan replacement part.

This youtuber's video is bad advice and potentially very dangerous for anybody who tries it. The original fan in his PSU is a strong 2800RPM, 140CFM one. He replaced it with a quiet, but weak 120RPM / 68 CFM fan. The power supply makes less noise, but receives much, much less cooling than it needs.

PSU engineers know exactly which parts of their PSU get hot, and give them appropriate fans, sometimes at the expense of noise. If they could put a slower, quieter fan in there and still have it not overheat, they'd do it. Replacing it with a much slower one is depriving it of airflow that was deemed necessary by the engineers, and can have extreme consequences.

46 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

This youtuber's video is bad advice and potentially very dangerous for anybody who tries it. The original fan in his PSU is a strong 2800RPM, 140CFM one. He replaced it with a quiet, but weak 120RPM / 68 CFM fan. The power supply makes less noise, but receives much, much less cooling than it needs.

PSU engineers know exactly which parts of their PSU get hot, and give them appropriate fans, sometimes at the expense of noise. If they could put a slower, quieter fan in there and still have it not overheat, they'd do it. Replacing it with a much slower one is depriving it of airflow that was deemed necessary by the engineers, and can have extreme consequences.

And that's his own problem to deal with.

I'm not saying that OP should use some super low RPM or low airflow fan. I provided the video to show the concept of swapping out the fan.

Also, just because the original fan on that power supply is capable of 2800RPM and moving 140CFM, that doesn't mean that's the speed the fan actually ran at. (That'd be an incredibly loud power supply if it did run at full speed).

The OP has two options: 1. Replace the broken fan. 2. Replace the entire power supply.

More likely than not, replacing the fan will be many times cheaper than replacing the power supply.

If overheating is a concern, then just be sure to use a high quality fan that's capable of moving plenty of air, such as an NF-A14 iPPC-2000: https://amzn.to/2VPwm6v

2K RPM, roughly 110CFM, or even an NF-A14 iPPC-3000: https://amzn.to/2YDMSmL 3K RPM, 160CFM. Just be ready to wear headphones if you want to hear anything other than the fan, since it'll be hitting around 41dB while moving all that air.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How can we recommend anything without knowing what PSU is the one with the dead fan??

35 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

And that's his own problem to deal with.

If you give advise and don't mention the dangers, it may as well become YOUR PROBLEM! 

Especially if someone dies -> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

I'm not saying that OP should use some super low RPM or low airflow fan. I provided the video to show the concept of swapping out the fan.

You recommended a dangerous procedure, wich might lead to a fire or death of a person, without mentioning any dangers of that procedure...

Also, just because the original fan on that power supply is capable of 2800RPM and moving 140CFM, that doesn't mean that's the speed the fan actually ran at. (That'd be an incredibly loud power supply if it did run at full speed).

No but it means that the Power Supply is certified with that fan.

With a different fan you change the specification of the PSU.

Meaning that it doesn't do the rated wattage at the rated temperature no more.

And in case of the EVGA you've shown, its possible that OTP is not implemented either. That then means that it can get over 200°C before something burns. And if the PSU is dusty, that might cause a nice fire.

You are really underestimating the dangers of power electronics...

The OP has two options: 1. Replace the broken fan. 2. Replace the entire power supply.

Yes and we should always recommend the ones that is better in the long run and safer.

We must NOT recommend something that could lead to some serious damage, injury or loss of life or the house.

And a good fan can cost 20€, a somewhat OKish PSU is 40€.

More likely than not, replacing the fan will be many times cheaper than replacing the power supply.

No, it won't.

And we don't even know what PSU he has!

Is it one of the 5€ ones?
Is it already 10 Years old?

Without that knowledge, how can you recommend to replace the fan?

Or what about Enermax PSU? With their 3 pin proprietary connector. You can't just replace the fan.

If overheating is a concern, then just be sure to use a high quality fan that's capable of moving plenty of air, such as an NF-A14 iPPC-2000: https://amzn.to/2VPwm6v

2K RPM, roughly 110CFM, or even an NF-A14 iPPC-3000: https://amzn.to/2YDMSmL 3K RPM, 160CFM. Just be ready to wear headphones if you want to hear anything other than the fan, since it'll be hitting around 41dB while moving all that air.

You recommend a fan for 28€, when a decent, new PSU can be gotten for 40€:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Non-Modular-CP-9020120-NA/dp/B01MTZ96RU/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=Corsair+CX450&qid=1558215965&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

(only one PCIe Connector)

or one for 45€:
https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BN606-System-80PLUS-Bronze/dp/B07D2Q84WH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=system+Power+U9&qid=1558215956&s=gateway&sr=8-1

And if its a Cooler Master Real Power, that fan doesn't make any sense either...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Nibber said:

Today, i accidentaly broke a wing from my psu fan and now it cant spin, is that a problem that i should take care of ?

What PSU?

How old?

pls post the exact model number.

What happened?

2 hours ago, Nibber said:

What PSU?  How old?

10 hours ago, Nibber said:

This is the model: https://www.njoy.ro/PSU/titan500#specificatii bought it 6 months ago.

Is still under warranty. 

But it's also a garbage PSU.  Return it and get something quality. 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is still under warranty. 

But it's also a garbage PSU.  Return it and get something quality. 

lol not saying is not garbage but do you know something about romanian psus? or what made you think it's garbage

47 minutes ago, imajerec said:

or what made you think it's garbage

Its garbage until its proven to be good.

Simple as that.

Especially from unknown brands.

Or are you trying to say that MS-Tech or LC-Power does usually do quality PSU??

7 hours ago, imajerec said:

lol not saying is not garbage but do you know something about romanian psus? or what made you think it's garbage

That's NOT a 500W PSU.

That's really a 372W PSU on the 12V.

Yeah it's garage, needs to be replaced.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

11 hours ago, imajerec said:

There are no reviews. It is garbage until tested. We treat even SeaSonic, and Corsair PSUs like that.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its garbage until its proven to be good.

Simple as that.

Especially from unknown brands.

Or are you trying to say that MS-Tech or LC-Power does usually do quality PSU??

I'm not trying to say anything,you're assuming something i did not said.Just because a product isn't tested with a review , doesn't automatically mean it is bad,you can chose to be sceptical on its quality and that's understandable.

''It's garbage untill proven to be good'' / ''It's good until proven to be garbage'' same logic applies.

9 hours ago, Ankerson said:

That's NOT a 500W PSU.

that makes more sense

2 hours ago, imajerec said:

I'm not trying to say anything,you're assuming something i did not said.Just because a product isn't tested with a review , doesn't automatically mean it is bad

No, but its more probable that its bad than that it is fine and a good quality product.

In most cases stuff doesn't get send out because they know that it would look bad in a review. For example all those EVGA Bronze units.

,you can chose to be sceptical on its quality and that's understandable.

''It's garbage untill proven to be good'' / ''It's good until proven to be garbage'' same logic applies.

No, its not the same logic.

One is to be sceptical, the other is to trust something blindly.

That's a big difference.

Especially regional brands that do cheap stuff are something to be sceptical about!
Here in Germany we have a ton of cheapo manufacturers, that also do PSU. For example: Ultron, MS-Tech, most of the Inter Tech stuff, LC-Power. 

They are all pretty bad (some do have some promising stuff but its yet to be proven good).

Some other cheapos went under or got bought out. For example Rasurbo, Xilence. The latter one is now owned by a quality manufacturer and used as a cheap brand but their products are cheap but pretty decent.

Others that you might or might not have heard about: Tronje, Kiss Quiet, Codegen (wich I particularly really intensively dislike).

Yes, there are some companies I trust more than others, because they have proven to be rather trustworthy and doing good products,

Others I don't trust because they either have a totally insane product lineup that even I can't keep track of. 
Or they have been proven to be either bad or just not interested in making good products at all.

International PSU Manufacturers I'd stay away:
Tacens (Spain)
AeroCool, CiT, Linkworld, LogiLink, Xigmatek and a couple others.

Some Manufacturers have some decent Products that are good, for example FSP, InWin, Thermaltake, Silverstone) but some of them are less good (usually the Bronze ones)...

Remember: TRUST is earned, not given!

If someone enters the PSU market, they have to prove they are to be trusted, that they do want to make good products and that they are competent to make good products....

Some of them destroyed every trust I'd give them, some other didn't.

13 hours ago, Ankerson said:

That's NOT a 500W PSU.

Yeah it's garage, needs to be replaced.

Not just that, but it's 230V only, so it has an undersized primary side. 

6 hours ago, imajerec said:

I'm not trying to say anything,you're assuming something i did not said.Just because a product isn't tested with a review , doesn't automatically mean it is bad,you can chose to be sceptical on its quality and that's understandable.

There's usually a good reason behind no reviews. You'll usually even find SAMA PSUs, a tiny manufacturer you've never heard of, on review in both English and Chinese language PSU publications. At least, their good units, like the ARMOR Gold and Forza Titanium.

Meanwhile, EVGA doesn't send their shitty units out for review, same with SAMA's low end units. There's a reason behind that. They're bad PSUs. It would make them look bad in the press.

Without a review, it's bad.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.